Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Adobe postprocessing software (Public) topic #10364
View in linear mode

Subject: "Multiple Catalogues in LR4" Previous topic | Next topic
mjhach Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Dec 2010Wed 13-Mar-13 07:21 PM
464 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Multiple Catalogues in LR4"

Simcoe, CA

Say I have a catalogue with 10000 images on it covering 2 years of data and the start up is slower. Scott's book says that having a smaller catalogue will speed up opening time.

So, I name a new catalogue, say 2013 files for all months this year and import the files I have so far, it doens't look like the LR4 adjustments follow the images that have been previously PP'ed with LR4 but not "burned" into the original image when exported to the Windows Explorer folder I have for all my jpegs.

My process is to leave the Raw's untouched, use DxO for first pass at PP'ing and then transfer these 100% jpegs into LR4 and if I make furthur adjustment for printing, keywording etc, save them backinto the Jpeg folder that they were put into by Dxo. So if I re-export these jpegs into another new LR catalogue, does the LR4 keywording/metadata follow them and what about the sequential numbering of the files - they will not be the same as the original numbering, or will they//

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Multiple Catalogues in LR4
sabbey51 Silver Member
15th Mar 2013
mjhach Silver Member
15th Mar 2013
barrywesthead Silver Member
15th Mar 2013
mjhach Silver Member
15th Mar 2013
15th Mar 2013
mjhach Silver Member
16th Mar 2013
16th Mar 2013
mjhach Silver Member
21st Mar 2013
walkerr Administrator
16th Mar 2013
mborn1 Silver Member
21st Mar 2013
mjhach Silver Member
21st Mar 2013
quenton8 Silver Member
21st Mar 2013
mjhach Silver Member
22nd Mar 2013
quenton8 Silver Member
23rd Mar 2013
mjhach Silver Member
23rd Mar 2013
rwwright Platinum Member
24th Mar 2013
mjhach Silver Member
25th Mar 2013

sabbey51 Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Jan 2010Fri 15-Mar-13 01:28 AM
479 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Multiple Catalogues in LR4"
In response to Reply # 0

Saddle river, US

While I can't see what speed you're observing, I wouldn't recommend multiple catalogs. I have north of 60,000 images in an LR4 catalog on a 2010 21.5" iMac with no noticeable speed impact. LR is designed to handle very large catalogs and 10,000 images certainly isn't pushing it.

mjhach Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Dec 2010Fri 15-Mar-13 12:07 PM
464 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Multiple Catalogues in LR4"
In response to Reply # 1

Simcoe, CA

I was thinking more of the creation of the backup catalogue process. I guess 20 seconds or so isnt' really slow?!

Thanks for the response and your input.

barrywesthead Silver Member Awareded for his continued support of the Nikonians community, freely sharing his expertise, particularly in the areas of digital post processing and printing. Nikonian since 07th Nov 2006Fri 15-Mar-13 09:49 AM
1253 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Multiple Catalogues in LR4"
In response to Reply # 0

Kleinburg, CA

I may not have correctly understood your process but it would seem if you create a new empty catalog and then import your raw files then you would not capture any info contained in the LR library or sidecar files.

If you create the new catalog by exporting a new catalog from the original catalog then the settings should follow.

I use multiple catalogs myself for business, personal, photography customers etc. My personal catalog is split in two - current (last 3 years) and archives.

Barry
http://art2printimages.com

mjhach Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Dec 2010Fri 15-Mar-13 12:10 PM
#4. "RE: Multiple Catalogues in LR4"
In response to Reply # 2

Simcoe, CA

Thats what I thought and maybe I didn't watch carefully what I was creating from what original files, be they RAW, original JPEGs or JPEGS saved from LR files.

I'll try again. I think I'd like to keep a separate catalogue comprising separate years, like one catalogue for 2012, and one for 2013 etc. since once I'm done for the year I'll not likely go back too far again. BUt maybe not.

Thanks so much for your input.

barrywesthead Silver Member Awareded for his continued support of the Nikonians community, freely sharing his expertise, particularly in the areas of digital post processing and printing. Nikonian since 07th Nov 2006Fri 15-Mar-13 12:22 PM
1253 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Multiple Catalogues in LR4"
In response to Reply # 4

Kleinburg, CA

On the backup subject.

Have you considered rather than backing up catalogues simply backing up the entire drive to an external drive and periodically updating the backup with a syncing program like Allway Sync?

Barry

mjhach Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Dec 2010Sat 16-Mar-13 08:06 AM
#6. "RE: Multiple Catalogues in LR4"
In response to Reply # 5

Simcoe, CA

No I haven't. I was just going to copy/paste but I'll investigate the suggested program. At least that way it'll just update the duplicate backup automatically with the images that have been added or changed??

barrywesthead Silver Member Awareded for his continued support of the Nikonians community, freely sharing his expertise, particularly in the areas of digital post processing and printing. Nikonian since 07th Nov 2006Sat 16-Mar-13 10:31 AM
#7. "RE: Multiple Catalogues in LR4"
In response to Reply # 6

Kleinburg, CA

>No I haven't. I was just going to copy/paste but I'll
>investigate the suggested program. At least that way it'll
>just update the duplicate backup automatically with the images
>that have been added or changed??

That's the idea. It would be difficult to do this manually. A disk syncing program is your best bet -- it automaticlly tracks every file added, deleted or revised. It can sync entire disk or one or more folders and their subfolders.

I believe there are easier syncing programs to learn than AllwaySync mentioned on these forums and there may be some good free programs.

Barry

bwesthead@art2printimages.com

mjhach Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Dec 2010Thu 21-Mar-13 01:43 AM
#10. "RE: Multiple Catalogues in LR4"
In response to Reply # 7

Simcoe, CA

I got this one and find it works great. Just a bit of practice to learn it's quirks but looks like it will do the job. Thanks.

Mike

walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Nikonian since 05th May 2002Sat 16-Mar-13 11:30 AM
14171 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Multiple Catalogues in LR4"
In response to Reply # 4

Colorado Springs, US

I definitely wouldn't consider doing this just to save a few seconds from periodic backups that occur when you exit the program. As already mentioned, LR can handle far more than 10,000 images easily. Going with separate catalogs will eliminate your ability to search or filter across years, and that capability is a very useful thing. You can certainly use another tool to backup the catalog or just simply make a start on your next activity during those few seconds while the program is exiting and backing up the catalog.

Rick Walker

My photos:
GeoVista Photography

mborn1 Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Nov 2008Thu 21-Mar-13 12:42 PM
191 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Multiple Catalogues in LR4"
In response to Reply # 0

Taunton, US

I have 230K images in my catalog and what i have done is my catalog is on a separate External USD 3 HD and do not have any problems with speed. Using a PC

Now about separate catalogs, Tim Grey doesn't recommend them but many others do, so pay your money and take your choice. Also make sure in Preferences >catalog > metadata> editing that the boxes are check so that the XMP is automatically written into the file

Myer
Photo Bee1
http://photobee1.blogspot.com/
http://photobee1.com

mjhach Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Dec 2010Thu 21-Mar-13 02:18 PM
#12. "RE: Multiple Catalogues in LR4"
In response to Reply # 11

Simcoe, CA

Thanks for your input. I"ll have to sift through the responses and determine the best way for me to go.

Sincerely,
Mike

quenton8 Silver Member Awarded for bringing his experience to the Nikonians community helping members with printing and the use of post-processing software from the perspective of an IT professional. Nikonian since 11th Apr 2010Thu 21-Mar-13 06:29 PM
1157 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Multiple Catalogues in LR4"
In response to Reply # 12

Toronto, CA

I have 5 catalogs -- but except for a few unusual cases there is no overlap ... note I am not a professional doing paid shoots

• Personal catalog -- this has the bulk of my photos, some 40,000 at this point
  • My son's photos, his camera -- he does not live with us, its his to use as he likes
  • My daughter's photos (same idea as above)
  • Church photos -- an archive from across the years (eventually with scanned prints from other people). This will eventually be handed over the Church (when I can no longer look after it)
  • My scanned slides from years ago

The only overlap is when I take pictures at our Church which include members of my family -- they just get duplicated, into each.

I would not do catalogs by date -- too many times I want to search across years, but on the other hand I see no reason to mess up personal things with Church things.

----
Dennis Smith.

mjhach Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Dec 2010Fri 22-Mar-13 12:06 AM
#14. "RE: Multiple Catalogues in LR4"
In response to Reply # 13

Simcoe, CA

Thank you Dennis. I see your from my former stompin grounds, Toronto the Good, but maybe not so much now.

I used to live in the beaches (born and raised till I moved out to Simcoe ontario at 24 years. I'm 58 now, but I do occasionally find myself there.

Where abouts are you located and what's your history there?

quenton8 Silver Member Awarded for bringing his experience to the Nikonians community helping members with printing and the use of post-processing software from the perspective of an IT professional. Nikonian since 11th Apr 2010Sat 23-Mar-13 02:00 PM
1157 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: Multiple Catalogues in LR4"
In response to Reply # 14

Toronto, CA

Been in T.O. all my life and you're a young guy -- I just turned 67 or 68 forget which.

Born in T.O. lived mostly in Scarborough, near N.Y.

My favourite photo area is 350miles north where we have 160 acres of mostly forest,with a beaver creek running through. This and my grandson comprise most of my main catalog.

Been photographing for some 50 years, digital now for about 4.

----
Dennis Smith.

mjhach Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Dec 2010Sat 23-Mar-13 10:36 PM
#16. "RE: Multiple Catalogues in LR4"
In response to Reply # 15

Simcoe, CA

THanks for the info. Ya, we (in-law)have a cottage near WHitney, Algonquin Park. Definetly God's country, takes us about 6 hours to drive there, and we've owned it now for about 65years (my wife's family really).

rwwright Platinum Member Nikonian since 23rd Feb 2003Sun 24-Mar-13 05:45 PM
586 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: Multiple Catalogues in LR4"
In response to Reply # 16

Fairview, TX, US

I have several catalogs.
1-current year andone past year
2-all previous years not current year (50-60k)
3,4,5-some scanned in old photos. From print, 35mm scammer, copied with d800

Not a big time dif, but 1 is a little faster

My Gallery

mjhach Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Dec 2010Mon 25-Mar-13 10:42 AM
#18. "RE: Multiple Catalogues in LR4"
In response to Reply # 17

Simcoe, CA

ok. tHANKS FOR YOUR INPUT.

Mike

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Adobe postprocessing software (Public) topic #10364 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.