nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Adobe postprocessing software (Public) topic #10220
View in linear mode

Subject: "From PSE 8 to PSE 10 or PSE 11" Previous topic | Next topic
pqtrths Silver Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 02nd May 2007Mon 11-Feb-13 08:05 PM
748 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"From PSE 8 to PSE 10 or PSE 11"

Dublin, CA, US

Upgrading from PSE 8 to PSE 10 or 11?

Sometime back I bought Adobe PSE 10; haven't loaded it, though. I shoot primarily landscapes, vintage cars and car racing, art work, and building exteriors and interiors. I use PSE 8 and would like to expand into HD processing. I'm also going to purchase LR-4. I have read Adobe's brief comparison of PSE 8 through 11.

Between PSE 10 or 11, what would you suggest. PSE 8 has been a steep learning curve, but I'm becoming more and more comfortable with its workings. Still need practice on layers and filters.

Mp

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: From PSE 8 to PSE 10 or PSE 11
Bob32 Silver Member
24th Feb 2013
Antero52 Silver Member Awarded for his expertise in post-processing, being  consistently helpful and professional.
25th Feb 2013
pqtrths Silver Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
25th Feb 2013
robcran Silver Member
25th Feb 2013
Antero52 Silver Member Awarded for his expertise in post-processing, being  consistently helpful and professional.
26th Feb 2013
robcran Silver Member
27th Feb 2013

Bob32 Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Jul 2007Sun 24-Feb-13 07:49 AM
4841 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: From PSE 8 to PSE 10 or PSE 11"
In response to Reply # 0

Chico, US

Marion,

I would definitely go with Elements 11. I very recently bought PSE 11 even though I had upgraded from PSE 6 to PSE 10 only last July. The main reason is that PSE 11 incorporates Adobe's latest Process Version 2012. This is the same version that powers ACR 7 and Lightroom 4 and is an improvement over previous Process Versions 2003 and 2010. PSE 11 also has an interface that is a big improvement over the PSE 10 interface.

Bob

Antero52 Silver Member Awarded for his expertise in post-processing, being  consistently helpful and professional. Nikonian since 07th Jul 2009Mon 25-Feb-13 05:01 PM
2546 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: From PSE 8 to PSE 10 or PSE 11"
In response to Reply # 1

Vantaa, FI

I'd like to add that the last time I checked (namely PSE 10), HDR processing was very primitive. No automatic alignment or deghosting, for example. Unless PSE11 is vastly improved over PSE10, it definitely makes sense to invest in dedicated HDR software, such as Photomatix Pro. I am not criticizing PSE in general, just the HDR feature of PSE10.

Regards, Antero

pqtrths Silver Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 02nd May 2007Mon 25-Feb-13 08:11 PM
748 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: From PSE 8 to PSE 10 or PSE 11"
In response to Reply # 2

Dublin, CA, US

Thank you. PSE 11 it is. Mp

robcran Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Mar 2007Mon 25-Feb-13 10:39 PM
841 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: From PSE 8 to PSE 10 or PSE 11"
In response to Reply # 2

Westleigh, AU

Hi Antero,

If I could interpose another question. Do you happen to know if PSE 11 integrates with Lightroom to stitch panos the way CS6 does. My PSE 9 doesn't. You have to export the images from Lightroom as JPEGs or TIFFs then stitch them in PSE, then import the finished pano back into Lightroom. If PSE 11 integrates with LR the way CS6 does I would definitely upgrade my version 9.

Robert
Sydney Nikonian

Antero52 Silver Member Awarded for his expertise in post-processing, being  consistently helpful and professional. Nikonian since 07th Jul 2009Tue 26-Feb-13 05:19 PM
2546 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: From PSE 8 to PSE 10 or PSE 11"
In response to Reply # 4
Tue 26-Feb-13 05:22 PM by Antero52

Vantaa, FI

Robert,

I don't have PSE11, so I tested this with LR4 and PSE10. It is possible to transfer a set of files to be processed as panorama in PSE10, but the workflow is much less convenient than between Lightroom and Photoshop:

1. In LR, select the photos to be processed as a panorama.
2. Right-click on Edit in PhotoshopElementsEditor
3. In PSE10, convert each individual photo to 8 bits and save. Otherwise PSE10 won't proceed with the panorama.
4. When converted to 8 bits and saved, select File / New / Photomerge Panorama.
5. In the Panorama dialog, select "Open Files" for processing, and any other options, such as projection.
6. Enjoy result. Surprisingly, PSE10 proposed to do a content-aware fill around the edges, although it doesn't offer CAF as a normal user-selectable function. But PSE and Photoshop share the same engine, and it's only the user interface in Elements that is restricted.

Regards, Antero

EDIT: Regarding step 3, I tried with NEF files which had LR adjustments. The only option for processing them in PSE was "Copy with LR adjustments". Perhaps if I had used pixel file originals without LR adjustments, PSE might have processed them without requesting me to save them first. I didn't check this.

robcran Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Mar 2007Wed 27-Feb-13 01:48 AM
841 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: From PSE 8 to PSE 10 or PSE 11"
In response to Reply # 5

Westleigh, AU

Thanks Antero,

It was Step 2 that interested me and I think you have answered my question at that point. With PSE 9 you do not get any "Edit in Photoshop Elements Editor" option. In other words it does not integrate itself with LR and become visible as an option in the LR menu system.

I think I will upgrade to PSE 11 anyway and accept the down change to the 8 bit files.

Robert
Sydney Nikonian

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Adobe postprocessing software (Public) topic #10220 Previous topic | Next topic