Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Adobe postprocessing software (Public) topic #10196
View in linear mode

Subject: "Sluggish/SLOW process of D600 images on LR4" Previous topic | Next topic
DBarnes Silver Member Nikonian since 25th Oct 2008Thu 07-Feb-13 08:51 PM
263 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Sluggish/SLOW process of D600 images on LR4"

US

I thought I'd see some slow-down of the processing when I switched from the D90 to the D600... but WOW... this is really s l o w.
Currently using a MacBook Pro with these stats...
Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
Graphics NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT 256 MB
Software Mac OS X Lion 10.7.5 (11G63)
I'm downloading images with a card reader, but it's the waiting for the processing that's killing me. Somewhere between 10 and 13 seconds to move from one image to the next. Yikes! There's got to be a way to quicken things up BESIDES a new computer... I hope.
Any ideas?
I'll wait for your responses... I've got plenty of time while I process these 600 images... (tapping foot and checking the time... ugh...)
Dave

http://fullframedreams.smugmug.com/

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Sluggish/SLOW process of D600 images on LR4
OldITGeek Silver Member
08th Feb 2013
walkerr Administrator
08th Feb 2013
DBarnes Silver Member
08th Feb 2013
walkerr Administrator
10th Feb 2013
blw Moderator
08th Feb 2013
DBarnes Silver Member
08th Feb 2013
dagoldst Silver Member
09th Feb 2013
DBarnes Silver Member
10th Feb 2013
gheck58 Silver Member
10th Feb 2013
Ray B Gold Member
15th Feb 2013
DBarnes Silver Member
15th Feb 2013

OldITGeek Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Jul 2011Fri 08-Feb-13 02:07 PM
136 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Sluggish/SLOW process of D600 images on LR4"
In response to Reply # 0

Mississauga, CA

You may want to start with upgrading your Disk to a SSD, I believe yours has a basic mech HD, this should help a lot, 2nd is add RAM if you can.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Nikonian since 05th May 2002Fri 08-Feb-13 03:53 PM
14397 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Sluggish/SLOW process of D600 images on LR4"
In response to Reply # 0

Colorado Springs, US

A few thoughts:

- 4GB is a bit light. Upgrading to 8GB would probably improve performance with LR and many other photo app.

- When you move from image to image, do it in the Library module (hit the "E" key for this view). Doing so uses the cached previews rather than regenerating new ones (which is what happens if you do it within the Develop module). This should dramatically speed up the time (should be almost instantaneous).

- Increase the cache size in Lightroom to around 20GB. This should also help.

No matter what, there will be some delay during downloading time due to the need for it to generate previews. You can have it not do that or create smaller ones, but you'll eventually need to have those created. What preview size are you asking it to create during the download process?

Rick Walker

My photos:
GeoVista Photography

DBarnes Silver Member Nikonian since 25th Oct 2008Fri 08-Feb-13 05:00 PM
263 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Sluggish/SLOW process of D600 images on LR4"
In response to Reply # 2

US

Thanks for the help Andy and Rick.
Boosted the cache size to 15GB. Perhaps 20 if I find I still need more.
And I'll start to change my habits and work in the Library mode a little more often.
As to the size of the previews, I'm still working in medium size. If need be, I'll dial that back, too.
And RAM is next on my list. I'm hoping it'll perk up an aging computer and its operator.
Already see an increase in speed.
Thanks!
Dave

walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Nikonian since 05th May 2002Sun 10-Feb-13 05:42 PM
14397 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Sluggish/SLOW process of D600 images on LR4"
In response to Reply # 2
Sun 10-Feb-13 05:44 PM by walkerr

Colorado Springs, US

Just for clarification, my laptop is an older (2009 era) 15" Macbook Pro with no SSD, 8GB of RAM, an NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT 256 MB graphics card, and a 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor. It's running 10.8.2 (the latest release of Mountain Lion). It's not my primary image processing computer (that's a Mac Pro of similar vintage, but with 16GB of RAM), but it's what I use in the field to process D800/800e images. It works fine with those files for normal LR operations. It's only when I'm running Photoshop CS6 concurrently and applying plug-ins like Nik CEP4 that things get a bit sluggish. Usable, but sluggish. I'll probably upgrade it in about a year.

Rick Walker

My photos:
GeoVista Photography

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Fri 08-Feb-13 05:46 PM
26546 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#4. "RE: Sluggish/SLOW process of D600 images on LR4"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond, US

I can't tell with 100% confidence what's going on, but I am fairly sure. First, as Rick says, you could definitely use more RAM. 8GB is not twice as good as 4GB in this context - it's probably 10x better, because what you're probably doing does not really fit well in 4GB and it fits easily in 8GB. I'm particularly conscious of this as I have to MacBooks, one is 4GB and one is 8GB - it is easy to see the difference.

What I do is to ingest the NEFs and immediately have LR generate 1:1 previews. This takes a while, but usually I feed it the card and go do something else, up to and including get dinner if I'm on the road at a big shoot. This cpu is not blazing at rendering the previews, but you're memory constrained per above. 600 files probably is going to take some time even with 8GB, although at least you have a Duo so two of them are done at a time. Once you have those previews rendered, my experience is that moving around in the library or even in develop is pretty quick - a second or maybe two or three if the file is particularly big. (I also have a bunch of 45-200mp scans.)

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

DBarnes Silver Member Nikonian since 25th Oct 2008Fri 08-Feb-13 07:15 PM
#5. "RE: Sluggish/SLOW process of D600 images on LR4"
In response to Reply # 4

US

Thanks Brian. Well explained. 8GB is next on the to-do list.
And ya, dinner is a good time to let the computer do its thing while I do mine.
Dave

dagoldst Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Dec 2012Sat 09-Feb-13 04:47 PM
1949 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Sluggish/SLOW process of D600 images on LR4"
In response to Reply # 5

Little Rock, US

Just another thought - you might want to make sure you CAN upgrade before you go buying memory. A lot of computers are restricted by the motherboard to how much ram they can take.

For instance, I have a fairly late model Dell laptop running Windows 7 - dual core, 4 gig memory, and that is all it can have, according to Dell.

David

"Sawed that board three times and it is still too short... "

DBarnes Silver Member Nikonian since 25th Oct 2008Sun 10-Feb-13 01:27 AM
#7. "RE: Sluggish/SLOW process of D600 images on LR4"
In response to Reply # 6

US

Thanks for the thought. Still enough room on the MBP to add another 4 of Ram. Can't wait to see the results.
Dave

gheck58 Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Dec 2003Sun 10-Feb-13 04:14 PM
2737 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Sluggish/SLOW process of D600 images on LR4"
In response to Reply # 7

Aliso Viejo, US

As others have said the RAM is definitely light, 8 gigs is good. Remember you are processing a file that is twice the size now. While the graphics card is not as critical for still as video, the 265K of RAM on that is light too. Also, be sure to manage your library size as well. When I'm finished with a large batch I remove that file from the library to keep it small. Otherwise you are going to need a new computer if you want speed. The other thing is that if is it an older laptop your hard drive is probably 5400 RPM. You really need at least a 7200 RPM drive or an SSD for large files.

Hecky

Ray B Gold Member Nikonian since 17th Dec 2008Fri 15-Feb-13 02:02 PM
210 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Sluggish/SLOW process of D600 images on LR4"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri 15-Feb-13 02:13 PM by Ray B

Worthing, GB

Hi Dave,

As we are talking about import times I think there is one absolutely crucial aspect that's not been addressed on this thread.

Namely, are you using a standard USB 2.0 card reader?

If yes the insanely simple solution is to get hold of a firewire 800 card reader (or USB 3.0 if you can add a USB 3.0 port to your MacBook)

USB 2.0 will be your biggest bottleneck for IMPORTING by far

Regards, Ray

Visit: My Nikonians Gallery

DBarnes Silver Member Nikonian since 25th Oct 2008Fri 15-Feb-13 02:23 PM
#11. "RE: Sluggish/SLOW process of D600 images on LR4"
In response to Reply # 10

US

Thanks for the input Gregg and Ray.
The Library size isn't one I'd thought of. I'll have to check on that. And the 3.0 version of card reader is a great idea. That would be a good investment for the future. And the current speed of my hard drive is 7200, so that's up to snuff.
Looks like a process I'll be working on for some time to come. And so far, processing speeds seem to be picking up.
Thanks all for the great ideas!
Dave

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Adobe postprocessing software (Public) topic #10196 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.