Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Adobe postprocessing software (Public) topic #10177
View in linear mode

Subject: "LR4 - Export (file) Location, "Add this catalogue"" Previous topic | Next topic
mjhach Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Dec 2010Mon 04-Feb-13 03:49 PM
492 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"LR4 - Export (file) Location, "Add this catalogue""

Simcoe, CA

When I've PPed an image, as I've been told on another thread, I don't have to export to my Explorer folders, but if I chose to do this to be able to use Nero to make CD's, etc. then where LR4 says, as above, "Add to this catalogue", well, is it not already in the LR4 catalogue?? I dont' understand where/when I would check off this box. Scott's book doesn't seem to be specific to this detail as to "Why?"

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Mon 04-Feb-13 04:30 PM
26657 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#1. "RE: LR4 - Export (file) Location, "Add this catalogue""
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond, US

I'm not 100% certain what you are wanting to do, but I think you're generically wishing to burn a finished JPG (or other format) of the processed files.

If that's the case, don't use the "add to catalog" option - you are essentially making temporary copies (as far as LR) is concerned. Just export them and put them in a directory someplace. (I usually make a directory/folder on desktop, so I'll see it and know to get rid of it soon.)

You would use the "add to catalog" if you wanted to keep the copies permanently, the same sort of way that if you do Edit -> In CS6 it creates a .TIF or .PSD and automatically adds that to the catalog.

As far as making CD's, do note that LR has an option to burn exported output directly to CD/DVD, and it works pretty nicely.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

mjhach Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Dec 2010Mon 04-Feb-13 05:45 PM
492 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: LR4 - Export (file) Location, "Add this catalogue""
In response to Reply # 1

Simcoe, CA

YEs, THanks. I thought there were too many duplicates of the images when I instructed to "Add to catalogue"!! I'll certainly try the CD/DVD burn feature. I've been using Nero for years and only late last year someone turned me onto LR3, and then I "upgraded" to LR4.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Antero52 Silver Member Awarded for his expertise in post-processing, being  consistently helpful and professional. Nikonian since 07th Jul 2009Tue 05-Feb-13 01:19 PM
2508 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: LR4 - Export (file) Location, "Add this catalogue""
In response to Reply # 0

Vantaa, FI

Hi

I try to fill in the gaps.

> ” When I've PPed an image, as I've been told on another thread, I don't have to export to my Explorer folders, …”

1. Explorer can see all the folders LR is set to watch. In other words, Explorer can read from all folders, including the ones uses by LR. You can also use Explorer to write to these folders, but if you do, you’d better understand what you do. For instance, you can use software other than LR to add new images to the folders used by LR and then, in a separate step, you tell LR to “Import” (in-place) the new images to LR’s catalog.

2. When you’ve processed an image in LR, you should understand that all, repeat: all, processing in LR is non-destructive, which means that the original image is left intact. The processing by LR is primarily stored in LR’s internal catalog (well, it’s a database file separate from the executable code but not used by other software). LR processing is optionally and additionally stored in external sidecar files with .XMP extension. Although the original image and the sidecar file are readable by external software, only Adobe software can combine the original image and the edits stored in the sidecar file. So, even if your original image is a JPG image, you still need to export it to make the LR edits visible to other programs. You also have to export if you want to convert your images to other formats (raw to tiff or jpg), or to a smaller resolution.

> “but if I chose to do this to be able to use Nero to make CD's, etc. then where LR4 says, as above, ‘Add to this catalogue’, well, is it not already in the LR4 catalogue??”

Like Brian, I am not sure I understand when LR says so. My guess is that when you insert the Nero-generated disk. If so, when LR detects insertion of a device with image files, LR proposes adding the files to the catalog. LR doesn’t understand that these are the images that you just exported and burned to the disk, for the purpose of taking the exported images out of the system. (I’ve set up LR not to invoke Auto Insert when the computer detects a new device with image files in it.)

I hope this helps.

Regards, Antero

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Wed 06-Feb-13 07:24 AM
26657 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#4. "RE: LR4 - Export (file) Location, "Add this catalogue""
In response to Reply # 3

Richmond, US

I think I've come up with a reason why one might add the exported copies to the catalog, per the option offered by LR. As Antero says, LR stores the edits separately from the original source and combines them on the fly when it needs to show you the result. Exporting the file essentially makes a permanent copy of that in a manner that is, in the scope of the copy, not reversible. In other words, when you export a file, the resultant copy has the edits baked in. If for example you're using this file to go to a printing service, that's fine. You might, however, want to record the specific state of the files as delivered to a client, so that even if you go back later and re-process the image (which could include reverting to no changes, then starting over), the exported copy will give you a permanent record of what was delivered. There are other ways of doing this, for example creating virtual copies, but adding the exported copy to the catalog is also a valid method.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Adobe postprocessing software (Public) topic #10177 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.