nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Using Lightroom without the cataloging function

phil711

Williams, US
132 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
phil711 Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jun 2008
Sun 03-Feb-13 06:49 PM

I have ordered a new iMac including pretty much all of the options. So now is a good time to re-evaluate my software requirements.

Several years ago I was minding my own business and innocently messing around with Adobe Bridge. It pretty much took over; creating catalogs, sidecar files and who knows what all. Not knowing what it (and I) was doing, within a short time after moving some files around, I had totally lost control - and Bridge kept trying to help (intrude). I don't want to do that again. It took some time, but I finally got back to my relatively simple system of cataloging and storing a fairly small number of personal photos on my personal machine. (I use Express Digital Darkroom software for business -- for editing and cataloging.)

I have been reading in this forum about some of the file format, handling and cataloging issues and it like de-javu all over again.

Question: Can I use LR4/ACR as an editor without invoking its cataloging capabilities? I like things really simple.

The general impression within this forum seems to be that support and improvements from Nikon for NX2 will be slow. Furthermore, that LR4 and its version of ACR are already somewhat ahead of NX2 in editing and that its lead will increase.

Therefore, I am inclined to try LR4, but if cataloging is an integral part of the process that cannot be disabled, I will not risk messing up a simple system that has worked well for years. NX2 is not all that bad.

Many thanks for your ideas and the benefit of your experience.

Phil

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Using Lightroom without the cataloging function walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Master Ribbon awarded as a member who has gone beyond technical knowledge to show mastery of the art and science of photography
03rd Feb 2013
Reply message RE: Using Lightroom without the cataloging function RECONLEY Silver Member
03rd Feb 2013
Reply message RE: Using Lightroom without the cataloging function phil711 Silver Member
04th Feb 2013
Reply message RE: Using Lightroom without the cataloging function quenton8 Silver Member Awarded for bringing his experience to the Nikonians community helping members with printing and the use of post-processing software from the perspective of an IT professional. Ribbon awarded for his enthusiastic and repeated support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
04th Feb 2013
Reply message RE: Using Lightroom without the cataloging function phil711 Silver Member
04th Feb 2013
Reply message RE: Using Lightroom without the cataloging function llevine Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
04th Feb 2013
04th Feb 2013
     Reply message RE: Using Lightroom without the cataloging function walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Master Ribbon awarded as a member who has gone beyond technical knowledge to show mastery of the art and science of photography
04th Feb 2013
          Reply message RE: Using Lightroom without the cataloging function quenton8 Silver Member Awarded for bringing his experience to the Nikonians community helping members with printing and the use of post-processing software from the perspective of an IT professional. Ribbon awarded for his enthusiastic and repeated support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
04th Feb 2013
05th Feb 2013

G