Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Adobe postprocessing software (Public) topic #10161
View in linear mode

Subject: "Using Lightroom without the cataloging function" Previous topic | Next topic
phil711 Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jun 2008Sun 03-Feb-13 06:49 PM
106 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Using Lightroom without the cataloging function"

Williams, US

I have ordered a new iMac including pretty much all of the options. So now is a good time to re-evaluate my software requirements.

Several years ago I was minding my own business and innocently messing around with Adobe Bridge. It pretty much took over; creating catalogs, sidecar files and who knows what all. Not knowing what it (and I) was doing, within a short time after moving some files around, I had totally lost control - and Bridge kept trying to help (intrude). I don't want to do that again. It took some time, but I finally got back to my relatively simple system of cataloging and storing a fairly small number of personal photos on my personal machine. (I use Express Digital Darkroom software for business -- for editing and cataloging.)

I have been reading in this forum about some of the file format, handling and cataloging issues and it like de-javu all over again.

Question: Can I use LR4/ACR as an editor without invoking its cataloging capabilities? I like things really simple.

The general impression within this forum seems to be that support and improvements from Nikon for NX2 will be slow. Furthermore, that LR4 and its version of ACR are already somewhat ahead of NX2 in editing and that its lead will increase.

Therefore, I am inclined to try LR4, but if cataloging is an integral part of the process that cannot be disabled, I will not risk messing up a simple system that has worked well for years. NX2 is not all that bad.

Many thanks for your ideas and the benefit of your experience.

Phil

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Using Lightroom without the cataloging function
walkerr Administrator
03rd Feb 2013
RECONLEY Silver Member
03rd Feb 2013
phil711 Silver Member
04th Feb 2013
quenton8 Silver Member
04th Feb 2013
phil711 Silver Member
04th Feb 2013
llevine Gold Member
04th Feb 2013
phil711 Silver Member
04th Feb 2013
walkerr Administrator
04th Feb 2013
quenton8 Silver Member
04th Feb 2013
phil711 Silver Member
05th Feb 2013

walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Nikonian since 05th May 2002Sun 03-Feb-13 07:14 PM
14178 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Using Lightroom without the cataloging function"
In response to Reply # 0

Colorado Springs, US

Cataloging is an integral part of Lightroom and isn't optional. If you don't want that, you're better off skipping it.

Rick Walker

My photos:
GeoVista Photography

RECONLEY Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Jun 2012Sun 03-Feb-13 10:38 PM
157 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Using Lightroom without the cataloging function"
In response to Reply # 0

Marietta, US

You can place your files wherever you want on your computer and just point LR to them and do an import. The files will not be move, just added to LR's catalog location database.

phil711 Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jun 2008Mon 04-Feb-13 03:22 PM
106 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Using Lightroom without the cataloging function"
In response to Reply # 2

Williams, US

Thanks, guys. You have confirmed my suspicions. I guess the plan now is to continue with NX2 and Photoshop. Like most, my only problem with Photoshop is that I don't use it often enough to remain proficient. I will be watching for a replacement for NX2 and, considering your comments, may give LR4 a try when everything else is up and running on the new iMac.

Again, thanks for your help and insight.

Phil

quenton8 Silver Member Awarded for bringing his experience to the Nikonians community helping members with printing and the use of post-processing software from the perspective of an IT professional. Nikonian since 11th Apr 2010Mon 04-Feb-13 12:43 AM
1157 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Using Lightroom without the cataloging function"
In response to Reply # 0

Toronto, CA

There is not really a simple yes/no answer to this question ...

• to edit a photo in LR, you must import it into the catalog, otherwise you have no access to it, so 'yes' you have to use the catalog
  • however, that does not necessarily move the photo to some other place. It CAN move it, but it can just have its catalog database point to it in its original hard-drive location
  • LR never updates the original raw NEF files, so here you have two choices -- you can have LR write the sidecar files to hold the editing information or you just use the LR catalog
  • you could, after editing, export the file as a TIF (for example), but although you don't lose pixel data that way you do lose the editing steps, which if used inside LR allow you to undo steps at any time in the future

I guess my real answer would be twofold ...
  • why not try its organization capabilities -- many of us use them and a very happy with how they work -- and if you have questions along the way, ask
  • if you really don't want to use the organization capabilities, then I might not go with LR, and stay with NX2

As a final note, you might want to pull a trial copy of LR to compare its editing to NX2 before making a final decision, and also to play a bit with its organization module.

----
Dennis Smith.

phil711 Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jun 2008Mon 04-Feb-13 03:48 PM
#5. "RE: Using Lightroom without the cataloging function"
In response to Reply # 3

Williams, US

Thanks, Dennis, for you time and insightful reply. Once my new computer is up and running, I will revisit this issue and probably give LR4 a try in the manner you suggest. Perhaps with a few minor changes in my workflow and storage routines, it will work out quite well.

Phil

llevine Gold Member Nikonian since 09th Jul 2007Mon 04-Feb-13 04:33 PM
366 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Using Lightroom without the cataloging function"
In response to Reply # 0

El Paso, US

Phil, I think you are misinterpreting what LR does. The cataloging feature is the place where LR keeps track of all of your edits and where the files reside on your hard drive. That happens seamlessly. LR has other features, such as keywording, collections, etc. You don't have to use them at all, although I am sure that at some point, you will.

You don't have to change any of your file locations to use LR. Try it, you will like it.

phil711 Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jun 2008Mon 04-Feb-13 08:57 PM
#7. "RE: Using Lightroom without the cataloging function"
In response to Reply # 6

Williams, US

Thanks for the feedback, Lance. I did initially misinterpret the catalog function, but it is now becoming more clear. My present system is quite simple:

First, I ingest images using Photomechanic to a subfolder within another folder named "Archives". Then, I change the filename and make the files "Read Only". From that point, they never move or change.

I use Photomechanic to view and select the files i want to edit. Then with NX2, I load the file from the "Archive" folder, edit, and save the file to a subfolder within another folder named "Edited".

So far, quite simple. During the edits, usually under time pressure, the files may be temporarily saved on the desktop or some other interim location(s). They may be taken to work (for additional editing), and grouped (copied or moved) with other related images. If I create tiff's for use in Photoshop they (and the PS files) will be in there too. Finding files for a reprint sometime in the future is easy, but expecting LR4 to keep track of this chaos is, it seems to me, expecting a lot.

It is becoming clear that if I go with LR4, I will have to clean up this part of my act and become a bit more disciplined. That can be done. We shall see.

But again, thanks for your input, your insight and taking time to respond.

Phil

walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Nikonian since 05th May 2002Mon 04-Feb-13 09:06 PM
14178 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Using Lightroom without the cataloging function"
In response to Reply # 7

Colorado Springs, US

In reality, it will probably simplify much of what you do and eliminate many of these steps, but it's a very different paradigm. A lot of what you're doing today is due to the specific tools you're using today and will disappear or be unnecessary. Worrying about edited versions goes away, tiffs are automatically cataloged, and print versions for a specific size (or even separate print versions) are no longer needed.

Rick Walker

My photos:
GeoVista Photography

quenton8 Silver Member Awarded for bringing his experience to the Nikonians community helping members with printing and the use of post-processing software from the perspective of an IT professional. Nikonian since 11th Apr 2010Mon 04-Feb-13 10:02 PM
1157 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Using Lightroom without the cataloging function"
In response to Reply # 8

Toronto, CA

I agree with Rick, LR should go a long way to simplifying your workflow.

The hardest part may be trying NOT to worry about all the steps and just let LR do its thing! But I found it well worthwhile once I got into it!

----
Dennis Smith.

phil711 Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jun 2008Tue 05-Feb-13 02:09 AM
#10. "RE: Using Lightroom without the cataloging function"
In response to Reply # 9

Williams, US

Thanks, Rick and Dennis. I just ordered the Martin Evening book and hope to be ready when the computer arrives.

Phil

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Adobe postprocessing software (Public) topic #10161 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.