Using Lightroom with a D800
I've been a long time Lightroom user and with my new D800, playing around with the best way to optimise using such large files and how it's slowed down my workflow especially when rendering previews.
Here's what I've found to speed everything up;
1. During import I render Standard previews, something I didn't do before to speed up going through them and setting my flags.
2. I've found increasing Camera Raw cache to 25GB improves performance.
3. I've set Standard Preview Size to match the resolution of my monitor.
4. Overnight, I convert to DNG, i've found this can improve develop time.
5. The fastest cards, put my catalog onto an SSD and a USB 3 card reader.
This Adobe article explains a lot of it also: http://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/kb/optimize-performance-lightroom.html
Curious what others have found.
#1. "RE: Using Lightroom with a D800" | In response to Reply # 0
kellyringphotos Registered since 08th Nov 2012Tue 29-Jan-13 01:16 PM
How are you getting your RAW images from the D800, (that are NEF), into LR?
I found if I convert them with the Nikon software provided, I have to make them JPEGS just to get them LR. And then, what's the point?
I want to edit them as RAW images.
Any ideas?? Please.
#2. "RE: Using Lightroom with a D800" | In response to Reply # 1
walkerr Nikonian since 05th May 2002Tue 29-Jan-13 01:25 PM
You just import them into LR, but you have to have a version of Lightroom that supports the D800 - LR4. Alternatively, you'll find dozens of threads in this forum about how to use D800 files in prior version of LR by converting them to the DNG format first.