Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Adobe postprocessing software (Public) topic #10106
View in linear mode

Subject: "CS6 move then clone ..." Previous topic | Next topic
quenton8 Silver Member Awarded for bringing his experience to the Nikonians community helping members with printing and the use of post-processing software from the perspective of an IT professional. Nikonian since 11th Apr 2010Sun 27-Jan-13 07:16 PM
1254 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"CS6 move then clone ..."
Sun 27-Jan-13 07:16 PM by quenton8

Toronto, CA

I have seen this a few times.

First, in this case which was pretty simple, I used no layers.

I had a lamp post at night, background pretty dark, some shrub branches, pretty simple for cloning.

The lamp post was tilted (for real) and I wanted to straighten it ...

• selected the post and the lamp on top as a rectangle
  • selected "Move" and rotated it a few degrees, leaving some small black areas around the rectangle
  • applied the transformation
  • went to clone over the black areas (remember, no layers) but it would not clone!
  • saved the image (as a tiff) and re-opened it and cloning was just fine

Is this a bug? or - more likely - did I do something wrong or miss a step?

----
Dennis Smith.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: CS6 move then clone ...
Antero52 Silver Member
27th Jan 2013
quenton8 Silver Member
27th Jan 2013
scenicshutterbug Silver Member
01st Feb 2013
quenton8 Silver Member
01st Feb 2013
quenton8 Silver Member
01st Feb 2013

Antero52 Silver Member Awarded for his expertise in post-processing, being  consistently helpful and professional. Nikonian since 07th Jul 2009Sun 27-Jan-13 07:31 PM
2518 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: CS6 move then clone ..."
In response to Reply # 0

Vantaa, FI

1. In your original, did you have the photo as a smart object? I'm not on my main computer now, but I don't think you can clone on a smart object layer.

2. In your procedure, did you consider or try Adaptive Wide-angle Filter instead?

Regards, Antero

quenton8 Silver Member Awarded for bringing his experience to the Nikonians community helping members with printing and the use of post-processing software from the perspective of an IT professional. Nikonian since 11th Apr 2010Sun 27-Jan-13 07:49 PM
1254 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: CS6 move then clone ..."
In response to Reply # 1
Sun 27-Jan-13 07:50 PM by quenton8

Toronto, CA

>1. In your original, did you have the photo as a smart
>object? I'm not on my main computer now, but I don't think you
>can clone on a smart object layer.
No -- cloning WORKS, just won't clone over the black (empty?) areas left by rotating the rectangle. I can clone over everything AROUND the black areas.
>
>2. In your procedure, did you consider or try Adaptive
>Wide-angle Filter instead?
I haven't -- I will -- but I was more interested in the cloning not working as I expected -- and I was wondering if it might be an answer to some of the posts that have appeared here over the last year or so about cloning "not working" sometimes!
>
>Regards, Antero

----
Dennis Smith.

scenicshutterbug Silver Member Nikonian since 27th May 2008Fri 01-Feb-13 11:45 AM
896 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: CS6 move then clone ..."
In response to Reply # 0

Richland, US

Hi Dennis,

I don't think this is a bug or that you did anything wrong. Essentially, when you move the object on the background layer, you are creating a "hole" in your canvas, so there is nothing there upon which to "paint" with the clone brush. You might try using content-aware move instead. This should allow you to reposition the lamp post and then CS6 will fill in the blank spaces.

Karen

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

quenton8 Silver Member Awarded for bringing his experience to the Nikonians community helping members with printing and the use of post-processing software from the perspective of an IT professional. Nikonian since 11th Apr 2010Fri 01-Feb-13 01:59 PM
#4. "RE: CS6 move then clone ..."
In response to Reply # 3

Toronto, CA

Interesting that save and re-load changes that so now I CAN clone.

I save as PSD or TIFF (forget which, I was using TIFF until a few days ago, switched to PSD -- so could be either right now -- I will check when I get home).

----
Dennis Smith.

quenton8 Silver Member Awarded for bringing his experience to the Nikonians community helping members with printing and the use of post-processing software from the perspective of an IT professional. Nikonian since 11th Apr 2010Fri 01-Feb-13 08:46 PM
#5. "RE: CS6 move then clone ..."
In response to Reply # 4
Fri 01-Feb-13 08:47 PM by quenton8

Toronto, CA

Solved ... a bit stupid on my part -- not paying attention to what is happening.

My steps were ...

• rectangular selection around the lamp
  • select move tool
  • rotate selection
  • Ctrl/D -- which was ignored becuase I had not OK'ed the move yet
  • Ctrl/H -- hid the selection because Ctrl/D did not seem to .. that was my problem
  • Select CLONE tool -- which asked if I wanted to OK the move -- said YES
  • at THIS point the selection is still in place but invisible because of the CTRL/H, so clone is is only working INSIDE the invisible selection.

had I said "why did CTRL/D not de-select" I would not have had a problem.

Thanks for the suggestions.

----
Dennis Smith.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Adobe postprocessing software (Public) topic #10106 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.