Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Adobe postprocessing software (Public) topic #10056
View in linear mode

Subject: "Best Photoshop CS6 & Lightroom 4 Books?" Previous topic | Next topic
jim thomas Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Jan 2003Fri 25-Jan-13 03:29 AM
1270 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Best Photoshop CS6 & Lightroom 4 Books?"

Edmond, US

I am currently using Photoshop CS5 but will soon upgrade to CS6. I will also probably add Lightroom 4. I have used Scott Kelby and Martin Evening books for Photoshop and have been satisfied with both. However, before buying new instuctional books for these applications I would like to know which books you think are best for these applications. Please let me know what you recommend. I will appreciate any advice you are able to offer.

JDT

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Best Photoshop CS6 & Lightroom 4 Books?
Gamecocks Silver Member
25th Jan 2013
Ken_Seals Silver Member
26th Jan 2013
jim thomas Silver Member
01st Feb 2013
jimpoe
01st Mar 2013
jim thomas Silver Member
03rd Mar 2013
liamtoh1ps
04th Mar 2013
ClickCardo Silver Member
06th Mar 2013
JBS101 Silver Member
12th Mar 2013

Gamecocks Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jul 2010Fri 25-Jan-13 12:54 PM
982 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Best Photoshop CS6 & Lightroom 4 Books?"
In response to Reply # 0

Joanna, US

I can only speak regarding LR4 book - I have Martin Evening's LR4 book and it is very thorough. It is rather large being 679 pages but his format has tremendously helped me. It has very good graphics, tips, notes and examples. Good luck with your search.

John

Nobody should seek his own good, but the good of others. <><

Ken_Seals Silver Member Nikonian since 14th Feb 2003Sat 26-Jan-13 03:02 AM
146 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Best Photoshop CS6 & Lightroom 4 Books?"
In response to Reply # 1

Fallbrook, US

It sounds like you have some experience with Photoshop and perhaps Lightroom.

If you are already familiar with the basics, I strongly recommend the Martin Evening books. Also, I especially like "Photoshop CS6, The Missing Manual" by Lesa Snider. Lesa writes in a friendly almost chatty manner but provides excellent detail of the subject, too.

Both these books really come in handy as reference books when you need to look up some function that is new to you or you haven't tried for a while.

Kelby's LR books just seem too shallow on information for the long term. I say that as a purchaser of those books.

Ken
Mizzou PJ '66
US Army Photographer and Instructor '67-'69

jim thomas Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Jan 2003Fri 01-Feb-13 07:51 PM
1270 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Best Photoshop CS6 & Lightroom 4 Books?"
In response to Reply # 2

Edmond, US

Hi Ken,

I agree that Kelby's books are less detailed. I think that he designs them that way to serve a somewhat different purpose than books such as Evening's....more of a "try this" type approach. I have found both to be helpful for prior versions of PS.

Thanks for the post.

JDT

jimpoe Registered since 15th Jan 2009Fri 01-Mar-13 08:34 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Best Photoshop CS6 & Lightroom 4 Books?"
In response to Reply # 0

Chandler, US

Hi,

I'm in the process of switching from using CNX2 to LR 4. I'm still doing the research and have found "The Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4 Book" by Martin Evening to be very good. While reading the Lightroom book, I was impressed with the idea that the collection should be organized through the metadata and not through the physical folder structure. I got sidetracked into reorganizing my image collection and I'm now reading "The DAM Book" by Peter Krogh, a book about digital asset management.

Jim Poe

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

jim thomas Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Jan 2003Sun 03-Mar-13 01:52 PM
#5. "RE: Best Photoshop CS6 & Lightroom 4 Books?"
In response to Reply # 4

Edmond, US

Hi Jim,

I have Evening's Photoshop CS3, CS5 and CS6 books and find them to be very good. I decided not to use Lightroom so I have no need for the Lightroom book. However, if I were to buy a book on Lightroom 4 I would buy Martin Evening's.

Thanks for your reply.
JDT

liamtoh1ps Registered since 17th Apr 2012Mon 04-Mar-13 01:17 AM
309 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Best Photoshop CS6 & Lightroom 4 Books?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I am currently reading LR4 by Martin Evening and concur with other posters that this book is very good.

The things that I have liked so far, is that he explains how he uses some settings and why certain settings more sense than others (in the tips .. at the side of a page). But also explains all the different possibilities provided by the software.

Pravin.

ClickCardo Silver Member Nikonian since 23rd Dec 2005Wed 06-Mar-13 02:46 AM
284 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Best Photoshop CS6 & Lightroom 4 Books?"
In response to Reply # 6
Wed 06-Mar-13 02:49 AM by ClickCardo

Upstate, US

I have Martin's book and agree with everybody that it is very good and complete. However I like Victoria Bampton's The Lightroom Missing FAQ book even better. I think you can find it at her site lightroomqueen.com and I got the e-book version.

JBS101 Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Apr 2009Tue 12-Mar-13 07:51 PM
493 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Best Photoshop CS6 & Lightroom 4 Books?"
In response to Reply # 0

Canberra, AU

I am currently working my way through Lesa Snider's CS6 Book. I have reached the halfway point and have found the book to be very thorough and an easy read. I have not had any experience with Martin Evening's books, so I can't comment other than to say that a lot of Nikonians seem happy with them. Snider and Kelby's books were available locally so I went with Snider. I bought the book because I took advantage of Adobe's free CS2 download. I already had a lot of experience with Elements so there was an immediate benefit to using a more detailed book.

I converted to Lightroom about 12 months ago and used Kelby's book. I found that very good because I had no experience with the program, and the book got me up and running quickly. As you are already an experienced Photoshop user, I would not bother with Scott Kelby's book.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Adobe postprocessing software (Public) topic #10056 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.