nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
JerryLoSardo

Frederick, US
991 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
JerryLoSardo Gold Member Charter Member
Fri 25-Jan-13 12:07 AM | edited Fri 25-Jan-13 12:15 AM by JerryLoSardo

OK, I'll admit it, for all of my fancy digital photog equipment that I possess, I don't have an artistic bone in my body. Zip, zero, nada. Not one. Consequently, my composition skills stink. But, like everything else that I attempt in my life, I try hard. So as a practice exercise I thought it would be interesting if I tried creating a collection of images of sewing stuff in my wife's sewing room. The intent was to do close-ups of her equipment with additional accessories blurred in the background--hardly an original idea, but I had to start somewhere. The initial results didn't exactly wow me (no surprise there).

I'm posting 2 of the original images, plus versions of each after post processing in LR4. And since I'm not particularly happy with the results, I thought it would be even more interesting if I offered a challenge to all of you: Either (1) explain what you would have done differently to make the image more appealing, and/or (2) Download the original jpeg, process your own version and then post on this thread. I'm interested in how you would have cropped differently, how you would have post-processed, and in any other compositional ideas you may have. All comments and critiques, good bad & ugly, are welcome. If you prefer, I'll try emailing the RAW files to you, although they're rather large (10-12 mb).

So, what do you say? I could sure use the help!

Jerry LoSardo
Frederick, Maryland

Here's the first original. Nikon D700 with 85mm f/1.8, 1/5sec, f/6.3, ISO 400, auto WB

Click on image to view larger version

Here's the processed version of the first original. Some obvious heavy cropping, adjustment of WB ten to about 2500K, application of a custom tone curve to increase contrast, and some sharpening.

Here's the processed version of the second original (original is below; sorry for these being out of order). Also taken with a D700 and 85mm. 1/50sec, f/2.5, ISO 400. Cropping, increase of tint to 36, application of a custom curve, and application of the custom brush to lighten up the black spools in the background. Also tweaked the contrast and shadow sliders.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)
Attachment #3, (jpg file)
Attachment #4, (jpg file)

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: LR4 Challenge: How Would You Do It?

G