nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5000/D3000 series (Public) topic #9997
View in linear mode

Subject: "Making the Jump to Nikon and a D3300" Previous topic | Next topic
rsmjr Registered since 17th Jul 2014Thu 21-Aug-14 07:10 PM
5 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Making the Jump to Nikon and a D3300"

US

Hello all,

So I have been looking to make the jump from Canon to Nikon and from all the reviews I have read and according to my budget I am looking to get a D3300. I'll be coming from a Canon 350D I have been shooting with over the past 7 years, so the upgrade jump will be pretty big in regards to features and abilities.

I consider myself an enthusiast though my subject is mostly family, especially my kids and nephews/nieces, a little bit of sports and some landscape here and there. I am estatic I will actually be able to shoot over ISO 400 without looking like a snowy TV picture and requiring a lot of fixing in LightRoom.

The only thing it looks like I am going to miss from my 350D are the buttons to easily access and change settings on the fly without having to go through a menu system. I never shoot in in any of the scene modes and always utilize either aperture/shutter priotity or full manual. I was wondering if anyone who uses this camera particularly in these modes finds it cumbersome with the D3300 given the lack of buttons and being mostly menu driven?

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Making the Jump to Nikon and a D3300
JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit.
21st Aug 2014
jcsocalphoto Silver Member
21st Aug 2014
MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas
21st Aug 2014
sl01
22nd Aug 2014
rsmjr
22nd Aug 2014
sl01
23rd Aug 2014
John Bertotti Gold Member
23rd Aug 2014
JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit.
24th Aug 2014
24th Aug 2014
rsmjr
25th Aug 2014
25th Aug 2014
25th Aug 2014
rsmjr
26th Aug 2014
jcsocalphoto Silver Member
28th Aug 2014
rsmjr
27th Aug 2014
27th Aug 2014
PBlais Silver Member
27th Aug 2014
28th Aug 2014
pjonesCET Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
28th Aug 2014
29th Aug 2014

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Thu 21-Aug-14 07:57 PM
5065 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Making the Jump to Nikon and a D3300"
In response to Reply # 0

Seattle, WA, US

That is a 8-9 year upgrade. You will love the new tech regardless of what camera you end up with.

At the quick glance it would seem that the 350D and D3300 suffer from the same lack of buttons/dials. This lack of buttons and the too-small-for-my-big-hands size tend to make me hold off on recommending the D3000 and D5000 lines, as great as the tech is. Since I am running my cameras in aperture-priority mode 99% of the time, in theory I could get away with just one dial and an ISO button; but that is not going to happen.

What I do recommend is going to a camera store and playing with the various cameras. Check their size, weight, shape, button placement, etc. Buy the camera (there or online) that feels right in YOUR hands.

---------+---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D700, D200, D70S, 24-70mm f/2.8, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II, TC20e3,
50mm f/1.4 D, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX

jcsocalphoto Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2013Thu 21-Aug-14 09:52 PM
1385 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Making the Jump to Nikon and a D3300"
In response to Reply # 0

San Diego, US

I agree with Joseph here - check it out if you can. With that said, there are not a lot of options for buttons unless you move up to a mid to upper consumer level (or lower pro level, depending on how you look at it) body. My daughter and her husband have and love the D3100 I think it is, but they are not used to bigger cameras anyway (when they grab my camera, the first comment out of their mouth is, "This thing is so big and heavy!").

I do think you'll love the performance (especially compared to the 350D you're coming from). You'll get used to the menus as most everyone that uses this model does - and you may find that you set the camera up differently than you did your Canon so that you don't end up going into the menus much (I think like Joseph mentioned, he uses his camera in A/P 99% of the time - I use mine in M/M 95% of the time, A/P in that other 5%, and even though our cameras have the 'buttons' to change things, I don't find I do that much anyway... I use the ISO button more than any other button on the camera I think!).

Jack
D700 | D2X | F100 | Nikon 1 V1 (really the wife's)

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Thu 21-Aug-14 11:09 PM
27233 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Making the Jump to Nikon and a D3300"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Ron,

Welcome to Nikonians!

While the D3300 has fewer dedicated buttons than the D7000 series bodies, the Focus mode, AF Area mode, Metering mode, ISO, WB, Exposure and Flash Compensation, Flash mode, Image Quality, and Image size reasonably quickly via the Information Display using the Info button, Command dial (Thumb wheel) and the OK button.

Best Regards,
Marty

sl01 Registered since 07th Jan 2014Fri 22-Aug-14 07:41 AM
98 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Making the Jump to Nikon and a D3300"
In response to Reply # 0

PL

Hello Ron
D3300 seems to be similar to 350D ergonomic-wise. They both lack some buttons and some functions. Some people don't mind this (I don't mind), some people do. It doesn't matter what others think. The most important is that your new tool should meet YOUR expectations. You have used a DSLR for some time. If YOU like your Canon's ergonomy, you'll probably like D3300 too.
I agree with Joseph's advice - take a trip to the store and play with the camera.
Regards
S.

rsmjr Registered since 17th Jul 2014Fri 22-Aug-14 01:29 PM
5 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Making the Jump to Nikon and a D3300"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Thank you everyone for the responses, I appreciate the insight. I did go to the store and checked out the ergonimics of the D3300 and it felt very similiar to my current Canon 350D. Additionally, I played around in the menus to get a feel of how quickly I can change settings as I need them and it didn't seem all that difficult.

I should be making the plunge today or tomorrow. I am excited to start working with the new camera and getting my feet wet with Nikon. My daughter's first game for cheerleading is this weekend and then I am surprising her with a father/daughter day before she goes back to school (2nd grade) this coming week. I plan on taking her to one of the castles and/or botanical gardens and letting her dress in one of her princess outfits to do a shoot. Perfect time to try the new gear!

I'll update once it is in hand

sl01 Registered since 07th Jan 2014Sat 23-Aug-14 08:02 AM
98 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Making the Jump to Nikon and a D3300"
In response to Reply # 5

PL

Have great fun (and great photos ).

John Bertotti Gold Member Nikonian since 01st Jul 2012Sat 23-Aug-14 04:28 PM
760 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Making the Jump to Nikon and a D3300"
In response to Reply # 5

Garretson, US

I don't know about the D3300 but I do have the D3200 and love it the only thing that bugs me is there is no bracketing. I wish I had that if you use bracketing I would check to make sure the D3300 has it. I so want to try out HDR.

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Sun 24-Aug-14 08:41 AM
5065 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Making the Jump to Nikon and a D3300"
In response to Reply # 7

Seattle, WA, US

The D3300 does not do automatic bracketing either.

Manual bracketing via manual exposure mode is quite simple:
Put the camera into manual exposure mode, manual ISO control.
Meter the scene, center the meter.
Adjust the shutter speed down.
Take a frame, adjust the shutter speed up; repeat until you have all the exposures you want.

Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

John Bertotti Gold Member Nikonian since 01st Jul 2012Sun 24-Aug-14 12:13 PM
760 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Making the Jump to Nikon and a D3300"
In response to Reply # 8

Garretson, US

Thanks! JosephK

rsmjr Registered since 17th Jul 2014Mon 25-Aug-14 12:59 AM
#10. "RE: Making the Jump to Nikon and a D3300"
In response to Reply # 0

US

OK so I made the purchase and now I am an official Nikon owner. Took the new camera to my daughter's first cheerleading game for this season. Time to learn how to take photos with this camera now, I can tell I am going to need to a few sessions before I get the feel and know how to work my way around the camera like I did with my previous one. Seems like a lot of the shots I took today were not as sharp as I anticipated them to be but I am hoping with a little more use and knowledge of the camera that will clear up more.

One thing I did notice on the software side of things is my version of LightRoom (4.4) does not seem to support the camera and RAW format for the NEF files. Has anyone else encountered this? Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be any updates either that add the support and I have to purchase the upgrade to version 5. I wasn't anticipating this and that means another $80 in software upgrades too... ugh. Anyone else run into this problem?

John Bertotti Gold Member Nikonian since 01st Jul 2012Mon 25-Aug-14 01:15 AM
#11. "RE: Making the Jump to Nikon and a D3300"
In response to Reply # 10

Garretson, US

I found that I had to bump up my shutter speeds a bit when I first got the D3200, the higher MP seemed to make all my initial shots seem soft. I really had to work on my hand holding technique to tame things down.

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Mon 25-Aug-14 04:39 AM
#12. "RE: Making the Jump to Nikon and a D3300"

Seattle, WA, US

Depending on your daughter's age and the location of the cheer events, cheerleading will quickly fall into the "indoor sports" category, which tends to stress the equipment: fast lenses and high ISOs to get the needed high shutter speeds.

The D3300 is a new camera, so you will need new software to process the NEF files. If you don't want to upgrade LR to v5.x then you could get the current DNG converter and convert your NEF files to DNG then import the DNG files into LR.

Alternatively, the Lightroom + Photoshop bundle for $10 per month is a great deal if you are open to software as a subscription.

Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

rsmjr Registered since 17th Jul 2014Tue 26-Aug-14 04:12 PM
#13. "RE: Making the Jump to Nikon and a D3300"
In response to Reply # 12

US

Thanks Joseph, I didn't even think of converting to DNG. Like I mentioned I have been on the old Canon RAW format of the 350D for nearly 9 years now so the last couple versions of LightRoom have never been a problem. I have downloaded the DNG converter from Adobe and will look to using that as I neither want to spend money monthly for a cloud service or an update right now and would rather put that towards saving up for a new lens or two.

My daughter is only 7 so they are not really doing anything to spectacular with lots of motion right now. We actually just went to a castle located fairly close to us and I had her dress up in one of her princess gowns to do a little photo shoot, the pictures seemed to come out sharper this time around as I started familiarizing myself more with how the camera works and feels.

jcsocalphoto Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2013Thu 28-Aug-14 11:49 PM
1385 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#19. "RE: Making the Jump to Nikon and a D3300"

San Diego, US

Hi Ron,

As Joseph mentioned, Cheer (if your daughter stays with it) is more of an indoor sport these days. My daughters (three started it when they were all younger - 5th or 6th grade I think, two of them went through high school doing it and into college - scholarships are out there and definitely help!)
Anyway, you will want a good indoor lens if you keep shooting her doing this (many venues limit the size lens you can bring in, so you may want to check). What lens were you using when you first shot her?
But, back on track here - I think your camera may just need you getting used to it - it has more MPs, a different body/layout and all of that.

Jack
D700 | D2X | F100 | Nikon 1 V1 (really the wife's)

rsmjr Registered since 17th Jul 2014Wed 27-Aug-14 02:21 AM
#14. "RE: Making the Jump to Nikon and a D3300"
In response to Reply # 0

US

So I know this is a bit off topic of the original post, but after Joseph suggested to convert to DNG files, I did some reading to better understand then as I always worked with the proprietary raw format of the camera.

It seems there are a lot of mixed opinions on whether you should retain using the NEF files versus converting to DNG. There seems to be good arguments from both sides of the fence making it difficult to choose between a format. Of course I can always keep both files or even just embed the NEF into the DNG protecting me from loosing the "true negative" so to speak. Then again my storage space doubles with doing that as well.

So what is everyone's thoughts on this?

John Bertotti Gold Member Nikonian since 01st Jul 2012Wed 27-Aug-14 02:28 AM
#15. "RE: Making the Jump to Nikon and a D3300"
In response to Reply # 14

Garretson, US

Until JosephK mentioned DNG I didn't know what it was. I have used raw since I got the D3200 and it works for me so I keep using it.

PBlais Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Jan 2014Wed 27-Aug-14 06:53 PM
1178 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: Making the Jump to Nikon and a D3300"

Hayes, US

I import my cards using a USB 3.0 card reader to Lightroom 5.6 direct to DNG. While DNG is a proprietary format to Adobe you can output to full bit TIF or compressed jpg files that are far more universal than NEF. You can do lossless compression TIF as well. Lightroom can also extract NEF files to another folder as well as make dng files too as part of the import if you are committed to keeping the NEF files. LR 5 would do that for you since it has extra code for the NEF formats.

I love my Nikon to bits but NEF files are not supported by anything directly without the sidecar files (Canon too) and that means you need two files or you can't go any place except to a Nikon product. Dng eliminates side car files. It has the raw data as you shot it plus metadata. There is no loss of image data in a dng conversion.

None of the Nikon software products are very good and don't have a real future at all. The advance image software market is contracting because there are just too many cameras and few companies will commit to the support. Cameras now shoot video and do much more than ever. Digital work flows go everyplace and non destructive managed color workflow is the new pro standard.

If you stick with Lightroom 4 and do manual conversion to dng and keep the NEF files you'll be doing what I do in one step under LR 5.6. Just burn a DVD once in a while with the NEF files so you get them off the computer and you are backed up another way and you save storage. Double Layer DVD's(9GB) are pretty cheap or the more expensive double layer blu-ray disks(50GB) hold the most. Blu-Ray could support quad layers but nobody has media out yet.

So make DNG files then use Lightroom to make virtual copies. You can then back up the dng files knowing they won't ever be changed. Virtual copies just store the differences and the edit commands. In Lightroom you are only changing the preview file you view not the real image file. When you export to anything the changes are applied to the export as it writes out. If you never export to Photoshop or another app then you are done. Exports cause a new file like a TIF, JPG, or PSD to be made where changes are baked into the file with no undo possible.

I worry more about backup for the dng files as they together with the Lightroom catalog have all the edits and meta data.

Just so you know Seagate announced a new 8TB drive and should available early next year and by a year from now down to $250. The Cloud needs bigger disks!

You'll love your D3300 I'm sure of it.

John Bertotti Gold Member Nikonian since 01st Jul 2012Thu 28-Aug-14 01:24 AM
#17. "RE: Making the Jump to Nikon and a D3300"
In response to Reply # 16

Garretson, US

Great info about DNG thanks!

pjonesCET Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 11th Jul 2011Thu 28-Aug-14 09:19 PM
640 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#18. "RE: Making the Jump to Nikon and a D3300"
Thu 28-Aug-14 09:21 PM by pjonesCET

Martinsville, US

Adobe says NEF is a made up standard by Nikon. That the standard for RAW Photos is DNG. And that all Camera RAW formats from the different Camera Makers should settle on DNG.

I have the latest DNG converter from Adobe. I use it so I can use an older version of Photoshop.

Phillip M Jones, CET
pjonescet@comcast.net
http://www.phillipmjones.net/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/pjonescet/
http://www.phillipjones-cet.net

John Bertotti Gold Member Nikonian since 01st Jul 2012Fri 29-Aug-14 02:00 AM
#20. "RE: Making the Jump to Nikon and a D3300"
In response to Reply # 18

Garretson, US

I wouldn't expect Adobe to say anything different, and they may be right, but I imagine Nikon could easily say the same. Still look like something I should learn more about!

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5000/D3000 series (Public) topic #9997 Previous topic | Next topic