Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

d5300 shutter speed/light flicker issues

2 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
thunderlizardsrule Registered since 17th Aug 2014
Sun 17-Aug-14 01:13 PM

I just bought a Nikon d5300 in Germany and it is different from my American d5300.

The shutter speed on the German d5300 will not go to 1/50, thereby I cannot film at night time because the lights of Europe have a certain hz that will cause light flickering.

Both cameras are set to PAL and at 50 frames per second at 1080p. (I know that at NTSC, it cannot do 1/50 shutter speed and that is normal, but for PAL at 50 frames it should be able to do 50 shutter speed.)

I have tried messing with everything in the settings to try and fix it, searched online far and wide, read the user manual, and I cannot find anyone else having this same problem.

It's very weird because the shutter speeds available on the German Nikon d5300 are totally different from the American d5300.

At 50 frames 1080p PAL, the German d5300 can do 1/60, 1/90, 1/125, 1/180, all of which have light flicker at night. The American d5300 however can do 1/50, 1/60, 1/80, 1/100, 1/125, and the 1/50 shutter speed is the proper shutter for night filming.

If I reduce the frame rate to 1080p at 25 frames, the German d5300 can do a 1/45 shutter speed, but the American d5300 does a 1/40 shutter speed.

Otherwise, the cameras are identical except three things:

1) On the German Nikon, one of the info menus is blue (blue background) and looks different from the American info menu, which has a grey menu. I've put all the settings on both cameras to be exactly the same.

2) The controls to change the iso are different. On the American d5300 if I hold the "fn" button and spin the wheel, this changes the iso. On the German d5300, if I hold the "fn" button and spin the wheel, it changes the AF-area mode instead.

3) The German d5300 is the color black model and the American is the silver color model.

The firmware versions for the cameras are the same, and I checked for firmware updates and found nothing for the d5300.

Because the d5300 is sold across Europe, I would have thought this problem would affected everyone in Europe who tries to film at night. However, I cannot find anyone else having a similar problem. If I cannot solve the problem soon, I will have to return the camera as I'm in the middle of a shoot in Berlin, but it's frustrating because I got this 5300 so that I could match my other 5300, and the two cameras should be the same.