nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #988
View in linear mode

Subject: "Ok, I bought my camera, now what." Previous topic | Next topic
jguard68 Registered since 07th Dec 2009Fri 11-Dec-09 05:57 PM
12 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
"Ok, I bought my camera, now what."

Ellington, US

I've had my D3000 for a couple of weeks now and was wondering what are some of the essential gear I need to take full advantage of this camera's capabilities. Right now, I just have the D3000, kit lens and the Nikkor 55-200mm. I don't even have a case for it yet. But, I made it through the "trial" time and like the camera enough to continue my new hobby in DSLR photography. So what do I need? I should also add that I'm new to SLR camera's in general.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Ok, I bought my camera, now what.
MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas
11th Dec 2009
gkaiseril Gold Member
11th Dec 2009
jguard68
11th Dec 2009
MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas
11th Dec 2009
jguard68
12th Dec 2009
cliburn
12th Dec 2009
jguard68
12th Dec 2009

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Fri 11-Dec-09 06:40 PM
27013 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Ok, I bought my camera, now what."
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi James,

Welcome to Nikonians!
Congratulations on your new D3000!
I would recommend: a microfiber Lens Cleaning Cloth, a Giottos Rocket Blower, a camera bag (Tamrac, LowePro, or Think Tank Photo to name a few brands.), an extra memory card or two.
Get Understanding Exposure by Brian Peterson. It will help get you up and running in Manual exposure mode.
Gear to think about: a Speedlight (SB-600) (Check out the Speedlight forum.), since you like to shoot landscapes a decent tripod and remote release (ML-L3) (Check out the Tripod forum).
The most important thing is to go out and Practice! Practice! Practice! The more you shoot the better you will get.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Fri 11-Dec-09 06:43 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Ok, I bought my camera, now what."
In response to Reply # 0

Chicago, US

You might want to describe what your photographic interest are because Nikon for decades has provided a camera system that can shoot from macro to sports, to landscapes or even space space scapes (yes there is a NASA Nikon camera as well as special U.S. Navy models) depending upon which accessories you match to your camera.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

jguard68 Registered since 07th Dec 2009Fri 11-Dec-09 08:52 PM
12 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#3. "RE: Ok, I bought my camera, now what."
In response to Reply # 0

Ellington, US

Giving Santa my list. Oh, btw, where can I find a Nikon battery for my camera and not some other company? I checked my electronics store but none available.

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Fri 11-Dec-09 09:01 PM
27013 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Ok, I bought my camera, now what."
In response to Reply # 3
Fri 11-Dec-09 09:01 PM by MEMcD

US

Hi James,

Here is a list of links to reputable Nikon Authorized Dealers:
1. www.adorama.com?kbid=912610
2. www.bhphotovideo.com
3. www.berger-bros.com
4. www.calumetphoto.com
5. www.centralcamera.com
6. www.robertsimaging.com
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

jguard68 Registered since 07th Dec 2009Sat 12-Dec-09 02:34 PM
#5. "RE: Ok, I bought my camera, now what."
In response to Reply # 4

Ellington, US

Great! Thank you very much.

cliburn Registered since 12th Jul 2009Sat 12-Dec-09 03:11 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#6. "RE: Ok, I bought my camera, now what."
In response to Reply # 5

Minnetonka, US

I went to the Nikon School when it came close.... I thougth it was very worthwile.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

jguard68 Registered since 07th Dec 2009Sat 12-Dec-09 03:21 PM
#7. "RE: Ok, I bought my camera, now what."
In response to Reply # 6

Ellington, US

I will look into that.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #988 Previous topic | Next topic