Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #9868
View in linear mode

Subject: "Nikon D3300 vs 7100 - Which one is better to buy" Previous topic | Next topic
omoomkokmokk Registered since 23rd Jul 2014Wed 23-Jul-14 09:08 AM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Nikon D3300 vs 7100 - Which one is better to buy"

NZ

Hi guys, I want replace my old camera canon 450d and I have question about new D3300, because I really like it. So I compared at DxO D3300, 5300 and 7100 and they use similar sensors and provide almost identical results. And D3300 has best lowlight ISO results.
So why should I pay double the price for D7100 when I am mostly interested in picture quality (I shoot landscapes, travel photography), because that's what matters to me most. I read reviews, I know that 7100 body is well-built and has much more features, but at the end of the day, the image quality is what matters most for me.
Are the people ashamed of using entry-level body instead of high-end aps-c model?
I don't want to offend anyone, I'm just curious what you guys think beacuse i don't have any experience with these cameras, so maybe I am wrong and the 7100 is much more superior to D3300 in image quality.
I am not newbie, so I want to buy a camera with better image quality, but beacuse I was so satsified with 450D I just don't see that extra 500 dollars more value in purchasing 7100.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Nikon D3300 vs 7100 - Which one is better to buy
slalom002 Silver Member
23rd Jul 2014
roffelmau Silver Member
23rd Jul 2014
PBlais Silver Member
23rd Jul 2014
bdecker432 Silver Member
23rd Jul 2014
richardd300 Silver Member
23rd Jul 2014
professorune
23rd Jul 2014
dubiousone
23rd Jul 2014
MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas
23rd Jul 2014
sl01
23rd Jul 2014
PBlais Silver Member
23rd Jul 2014

slalom002 Silver Member Nikonian since 11th Oct 2008Wed 23-Jul-14 10:18 AM
66 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Nikon D3300 vs 7100 - Which one is better to buy"
In response to Reply # 0

Ottawa, CA

Welcome to Nikonians.

I bought a D7100 for my son because it has a built-in focus motor. Thus he would not be limited to lenses that have their own motors (ultra sonic I believe in the Canon world AFS in Nikon). Since you are starting fresh in the Nikon world this might not be an issue for you.

The other advantage I saw was the fact that there are two control "wheels" on the D7100 rather than one on the D3300. This makes it easier to make adjustments directly from the viewfinder. For landscapes, it may not be a big issue, but in travel photography that extra bit of easy control is an advantage. Furthermore he was moving from my old D100 so he was already using that control layout.

Hope this helps with your decision. I am sure that others who are much more knowledgeable will give you additional advice.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

roffelmau Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Sep 2013Wed 23-Jul-14 11:04 AM
262 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Nikon D3300 vs 7100 - Which one is better to buy"
In response to Reply # 0

DEPEW, US

I have a 7100 and I have friends with 3xxx and 5xxx cameras. There are a couple things that drive me nuts on the 3xxx. First, there is no release priority on the focus unless you're in live view (unless that's been changed on the 3300 from earlier versions). This makes focus and recompose darn near impossible on the 3xxx outside of live view. This can also be a problem with landscapes. Also the one wheel layout can be a pain to use. There is no commander mode for the onboard flash. There is no focus motor in the body thereby turning fantastic older lenses into MF only, which can also play into the lack of release priority outside of live view. The 7100 is much sturdier. The battery in a 7100 will outlast the 3xxx (in my experience). The 3xxx is very small and light. This may be a bad thing or may be a good thing. I've got big ham fists, so its less comfortable to hold.

Most of this comes down to usability and comfort for MY style. Your mind may vary.

As far as image quality, if you look what was making the cover and photo spreads in National Geographic 15 years ago, and the digital cameras they were taken with, there should be no reason you couldn't take world class photos with a 3300. It just boils down to your usage.

--Andy

PBlais Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Jan 2014Wed 23-Jul-14 01:38 PM
779 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Nikon D3300 vs 7100 - Which one is better to buy"
In response to Reply # 0

Hayes, US

I've owned the D3100, D5200, and now D7100. I have to say I like the DX cameras a lot.

Currently the D7100 is the flagship DX camera with all the features and importantly the ability to shoot many of the older Nikon lenses the other DX cameras don't. It has a lot of pro features that you may or may not like and use. It also has the best build quality.

What I miss with the D3100 is the small size and light weight. I found the D5200 was a good step up for some of the pro features I soon learned I wanted and that may be the bigger issue. Most of the pro features when you start out are confusing and you wonder why you could ever want them. Later on when you know you may decide it's obvious why you want them. It's a journey.

The D3100 shot half the pixels of the D7100 and frankly it wasn't a huge factor. Ability to shoot non cpu lenses, Commander mode, bracketing, more solid build, two card slots, and top LCD panel, more external controls, and no low pass filter were. Look more into these features so you'll better understand what you have to pay extra for.

If you put a good lens on a D3300 you can take amazing pictures and some of the best ones I have shot were with the D3100 and an FX 50mm lens. So on a budget may go for the D3300 but don't get the kit lens but get a better lens. In the end, the glass will cost more than the body over time by a huge factor if you invest in lenses. You can always upgrade the body and keep all your lenses if taken care of. There are better zooms but also the 35mm and 50mm primes are a bargain! Any "G" lens mounts and shoots on any DX camera and includes any "G" FX lens too.

Calling the D3xxx series an entry level camera is misleading. All the Nikon DSLRS are great shooters. What the lower level cameras lack is mostly in how much abuse they can handle as well as pro features. If you just shot automatic mode outside in nice weather you may not notice the difference. Also note the sensors are not the same even if they are the same pixel count. There are quality differences as you move up too.

bdecker432 Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Apr 2013Wed 23-Jul-14 02:19 PM
49 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Nikon D3300 vs 7100 - Which one is better to buy"
In response to Reply # 3

Tulsa, US

I have both D3200 and D7100. I take a lot of bracketed landscape shots. Automated bracketing on the D7100 is very nice. Bracketing on the D3200 is manual, tedious and error-prone.

Also, I found on my D3200, I spent a lot of time diving into the menus to make routine settings changes. I can readily make similar changes on my D7100 while looking through the view finder. This is much faster for on-the-fly setting changes.

I do like the small size of my D3200 for travel. last year I took it on a Balkans cruise. Lots of walking around at various ports. Mostly snapshots rather than composed photographs. The D3200 was a great, unobtrusive camera for that scenario.

==============================
Nikon D7100 & Nikon D3200
Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 AT-X116 Pro DX II
Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC (OS)* HSM
Sigma 50-150mm f/2.8 EX DC APO OS HSM
Nikkor AF-S DX 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR
Nikkor AF-S DX 35mm F/1.8
Nikkor 55-200mm F/4.0-5.6 AF-S
Nikkor AF-S DX 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR

Shooting landscapes and young grandchildren

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009Wed 23-Jul-14 02:56 PM
3525 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Nikon D3300 vs 7100 - Which one is better to buy"
In response to Reply # 4

Dyserth, UK

For me the D7100 is terrific. The lack of AA filter makes the need to sharpen images only an occasional chore. It is packed with more functionality than the other choices too. I think, for the price, it represents very good value. Even worth considering a good second hand one from a reputable dealer.

Richard

Visit my Nikonians gallery

Visit my website www.pixels4u.co.uk
The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. Einstein

professorune Registered since 08th Jun 2013Wed 23-Jul-14 03:37 PM
526 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Nikon D3300 vs 7100 - Which one is better to buy"
In response to Reply # 0

HK

As you're in the process of changing camera systems, the $500 saving between the D3300 and D7100 may be gainfully used in buying a new lens.

dubiousone Registered since 25th Dec 2013Wed 23-Jul-14 04:12 PM
124 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Nikon D3300 vs 7100 - Which one is better to buy"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I would get the 7100;
Better functionality with lenses (Internal focus motor) Controls layout and size. I found the 3100/3300 series cameras too small and cramped. Either will take fantastic pictures.

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Wed 23-Jul-14 06:23 PM
26766 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Nikon D3300 vs 7100 - Which one is better to buy"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi ______,

Welcome to Nikonians!
Glad to have you with us.

Since the D3300 was introduced 11 months after the D7100 it has the advantage of the latest sensor technology. While the D3300 has slightly better high ISO performance than the D7100, the D7100 has almost a full stop more Dynamic Range which will be more useful for shooting landscapes than ISO performance.

Both bodies are more than capable of producing outstanding Images.
If the D3300 fits your requirements, there is no reason to get the D7100.
That said, you should know the differences in order to make the best decision possible.
There are advantages and disadvantages to each body:

The D3300 is smaller, lighter, and cheaper, than the D7100. That makes it easier to pack and carry around all day, when hiking or traveling.

The D7100, is a little larger, heavier, and more expensive.
The advantages over the D3300 are:
1. Significantly better build quality.
2. An AF motor built in the camera body supporting All Nikon F mount AF lenses (including third party) with the exception of the Nikkor 80mm f/2.8 and the 200mm f/3.5 made for the F3AF.
3. Supports metering with non-CPU (MF) lenses.
4. Better AF module (51 points to 11 points).
5. Brighter Pentaprism viewfinder compared to Pentamirror viewfinder.
6. Supports AF with lenses with a maximum aperture of up to f/8 compared to f/5.6.
7. Has a Sub-Command Dial (Thumb wheel) and dedicated buttons to quickly change settings on the fly without going into the camera menu.
8. A larger buffer.
9. Duel Card Slots
Etc.....

Some people like small bodies, others like large bodies.
I recommend holding a D3300 and a D7100 in your hands and decide which body feels the best in your hands.

The vast majority of us are not ashamed to use an entry level body.
I sometimes use my D70s, D3000, and D3100 together with or instead of my D_ and D_00 Series bodies.

BTW:
When you get a few minutes please fill in your First and Last names in your User Profile.

We always encourage our members to fill in their real first and last names, and have made that issue a part of our Terms of Use.

The intent is to foster a community of "real people" instead of mysterious web personalities with anonymous screen names. Doing this helps to establish and maintain a safe, civil and friendly environment.

Thanks in advance.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

sl01 Registered since 07th Jan 2014Wed 23-Jul-14 08:58 PM
83 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Nikon D3300 vs 7100 - Which one is better to buy"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed 23-Jul-14 09:13 PM by sl01

PL

Hello omoomkokmokk
No doubt, D7100 is more advanced, has bigger grip, is environmentally sealed, has almost everything you want. It's simply "better".
On the other side, D3300 misses some features that even old entry level 450d has - auto bracketing for example . Check carefully before buying. And it wouldn't autofocus and/or meter with many lenses D7100 would (lack of "the screwdriver", simpler software).

But if you don't care about the above, if you have been satisfied with your 450d and you don't need extra buttons of D7100 and other things mentioned by Marty, you might be really happy with D3300. You are right - don't spend more money if you don't need to. Eventually (but not necessearily) you can spend saved money for a better lens or externel speedlight to make even better photos.

Unless you shoot fast action, D3300 and D7100 should give similar results. Or - D3300 with better lens will give better results than D7100 with a cheap kit.

PBlais Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Jan 2014Wed 23-Jul-14 09:23 PM
779 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Nikon D3300 vs 7100 - Which one is better to buy"
In response to Reply # 9

Hayes, US

It really is the glass at the end of the day. I sold my kit lens on the D3100 and have not owned one since. The kit lens is fine for good light in many situations but it's not blow your mind OMG! The better Nikon lenses really are. Many are used on the best Nikon bodies! It does take take some skill.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #9868 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.