Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #9807
View in linear mode

Subject: "How to prevent washout from Sunlit/snow photos" Previous topic | Next topic
kenm1210 Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Dec 2011Sat 21-Jun-14 06:08 PM
9 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"How to prevent washout from Sunlit/snow photos"

Hudson, US

Hi,
Camera: DS3000 Nikon
Lens: 50mm Nikkor

I've taken a number of photos in winter with snow and sunlight that overwhelms the subject matter.

I've tried adjusting ISO and exposure levels with no success. The photos have a good deal of washout that is drowning the shots.

Is there a filter I can use or alternate camera settings.

Thank you,
Ken

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: How to prevent washout from Sunlit/snow photos
aolander Silver Member
21st Jun 2014
rw11
21st Jun 2014
kenm1210 Silver Member
22nd Jun 2014
Charlie M Silver Member
22nd Jun 2014
Leonard62 Gold Member
22nd Jun 2014
kenm1210 Silver Member
22nd Jun 2014
Leonard62 Gold Member
22nd Jun 2014
pjonesCET Gold Member
22nd Jun 2014
CPR
22nd Jun 2014
kenm1210 Silver Member
23rd Jun 2014
sl01
23rd Jun 2014
Ray Gerke
24th Jun 2014
JosephK Silver Member
25th Jun 2014

aolander Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Sep 2006Sat 21-Jun-14 06:49 PM
3259 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: How to prevent washout from Sunlit/snow photos"
In response to Reply # 0

Nevis, US

This type of scene has too great of a contrast range to get both the highlights and darker subject all exposed acceptably. Changing the ISO won't do anything but change what shutter speed and aperture the camera or you deem correct. The brightness range is still the same. You can expose the bright areas correctly but that leaves the subject underexposed. If you expose the subject correctly, the background is overexposed. In other words, there are no camera settings to reduce this brightness range and get it all exposed acceptably.

Graduated neutral density filters are used for scenes such as sunsets where you want to reduce the contrast range between the sky and foreground.

Alan

rw11 Registered since 22nd Apr 2014Sat 21-Jun-14 07:59 PM
143 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: How to prevent washout from Sunlit/snow photos"
In response to Reply # 1

SY

a D610 with its improved sensor will help a LOT

otherwise, you can try doing HDR if it is a static scene

or wait for clouds or shadows

kenm1210 Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Dec 2011Sun 22-Jun-14 03:50 PM
9 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: How to prevent washout from Sunlit/snow photos"
In response to Reply # 1

Hudson, US

Thank you for your response.
Very much appreciated.

Ken

Charlie M Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Aug 2011Sun 22-Jun-14 04:07 PM
199 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: How to prevent washout from Sunlit/snow photos"
In response to Reply # 3

Topeka, US

Shoot in manual and bracket, bracket, bracket. How much to bracket, only you will know.
Charlie

D600, D300 and not enough glass

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Sun 22-Jun-14 04:43 PM
3101 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: How to prevent washout from Sunlit/snow photos"
In response to Reply # 0

Hatboro, Pa, US

I always shoot snow scenes with negative compensation, about 1 EV. If needed I can always bring up the darker areas in post. There's no way to recover a blown highlight.

Len

kenm1210 Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Dec 2011Sun 22-Jun-14 04:47 PM
#6. "RE: How to prevent washout from Sunlit/snow photos"
In response to Reply # 5

Hudson, US

Thanks Len.
I did try to recover some blownout shots with CS4 and had no luck at all.
I'll give the negative compensation a whirl.

Ken

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Sun 22-Jun-14 05:37 PM
3101 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: How to prevent washout from Sunlit/snow photos"
In response to Reply # 6

Hatboro, Pa, US

I use the Shadows/Highlights tool in CS6. You can always brighten the dark areas and darken the highlights but never recover the blown highlights. It also does a great job of creating simple HDR photos from one photo.

Len

pjonesCET Gold Member Nikonian since 11th Jul 2011Sun 22-Jun-14 08:52 PM
574 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#8. "RE: How to prevent washout from Sunlit/snow photos"
In response to Reply # 7

Martinsville, US

This was taken during Snow storm using a 18-55mm Kit lens D3200 The picture looks exactly like what I was seeing as I took the picture. I suppose I have run the speed up some way to freeze frame snow Flakes. But I like this affect/effect (never have gotten down the correct usuage).

Phillip M Jones, CET
pjonescet@comcast.net
http://www.phillipmjones.net/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/pjonescet/
http://www.phillipjones-cet.net

CPR Registered since 02nd May 2014Sun 22-Jun-14 11:46 PM
54 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: How to prevent washout from Sunlit/snow photos"
In response to Reply # 0

Crystal River, US

Perhaps use a neutral density filter or two to bring the light down overall and then bracket 3 to 5 shots to get the new highs and lows.

kenm1210 Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Dec 2011Mon 23-Jun-14 10:41 PM
#11. "RE: How to prevent washout from Sunlit/snow photos"
In response to Reply # 9

Hudson, US

Thank you.
Any optinion on the variable Tiffen ND filter?
I'm not sure I want to go the 'variable' route but thought I'd inquire.

Ken

sl01 Registered since 07th Jan 2014Mon 23-Jun-14 07:21 AM
51 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: How to prevent washout from Sunlit/snow photos"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon 23-Jun-14 08:47 AM by sl01

PL

If possible, avoid shooting at noon. Strong sunlight causes strong contrast.
"Golden hour shots" not only have more acceptable contrast, they also have more "depth" and often more interesting colors.

If you really must shoot in strong sunlight - exposure compensation, already mentioned by Len, is THE clue, IMO.

Edit:
Polarizing filter may be helpful. But be careful - in some cases this filter INCREASES contrast.
http://dpexperience.com/2009/12/24/let-it-snow-let-it-snow-top-tips-for-cool-snow-shots/

Regards
S.

Ray Gerke Registered since 12th Sep 2004Tue 24-Jun-14 10:22 PM
633 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: How to prevent washout from Sunlit/snow photos"
In response to Reply # 0

winnipeg, CA

What type of metering are you using? I use centre weighted metering when in snow. I dont use matrix metering under those circumstances at all. Also EV -0.7 exposure compensation usually. Bracketing (as suggested above) is also a good suggestion.

Ray Gerke

D800, D5300, D2HS, D700 (sold), D7000(sold), CP520, CP510
Nikkor 24mm f/1.4, Nikkor 50mm f/1.4, Nikkor 58mm f/1.4, Nikkor 85mm f/1.4, Nikkor 14-24 F/2.8, Nikkor 80-200 f/2.8, Nikkor 24-120VR, Nikkor Micro 60mm f/2.8, Nikkor Micro 105mm f/2.8VR, Nikkor 10.5 DX
Sigma 30mm f/1.4, Sigma 150-500mm OS

My mapped photos from around the world

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Wed 25-Jun-14 12:14 AM
4493 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: How to prevent washout from Sunlit/snow photos"
In response to Reply # 0

Seattle, WA, US

Snow scenes usually have a large dynamic range to them. The newer cameras help with their expanded range sensors, but even then the difference between the highlights and the shadows are still too big for the sensors.

The light meters tend to want to average the scene to a medium gray. The newer cameras are better at handling the snow, but still not perfect. Shooting raw instead of JPG is a big help.

What to do depends on the type of picture you are looking for. If you want a landscape shot, you could go with the metered shot or maybe dial in a little negative EV so that you maintain the detail in the snow and fix the exposure in post processing.

If you are looking for a people shot (skiers, snowshoers, etc.) then you will want to overexpose the snow to get the people exposed correctly using a goodly amount of +EV.

Unfortunately, without going into HDR processing, getting both in the same shot is not possible.

---------+---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D700, D200, D70S, 24-70mm f/2.8, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II, TC20e3,
50mm f/1.4 D, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #9807 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.