Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #9789
View in linear mode

Subject: "Color issue with DS3000 and Nikkor 85mm lens" Previous topic | Next topic
kenm1210 Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Dec 2011Sat 14-Jun-14 09:06 PM
9 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Color issue with DS3000 and Nikkor 85mm lens"

Hudson, US

Hi,
I'm taking photos with a DS3000 and Nikkor 85mm lens combination.
Photos are crisp and clear but the blue is coming out violet in my shots.
Photos are taken outside with no flash.

Especially noted in clothing.

I have no idea what could be causing this issue.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Rgds,
Ken

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Color issue with DS3000 and Nikkor 85mm lens
JosephK Silver Member
14th Jun 2014
Leonard62 Gold Member
15th Jun 2014
Leonard62 Gold Member
15th Jun 2014
kenm1210 Silver Member
15th Jun 2014
kenm1210 Silver Member
15th Jun 2014
Leonard62 Gold Member
15th Jun 2014
kenm1210 Silver Member
15th Jun 2014
pjonesCET Gold Member
16th Jun 2014
Leonard62 Gold Member
17th Jun 2014
kenm1210 Silver Member
17th Jun 2014

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Sat 14-Jun-14 10:39 PM
4480 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Color issue with DS3000 and Nikkor 85mm lens"
In response to Reply # 0

Seattle, WA, US

Can you post an example photo with all the EXIF data intact?

---------+---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D700, D200, D70S, 24-70mm f/2.8, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II, TC20e3,
50mm f/1.4 D, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Sun 15-Jun-14 12:21 PM
3095 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Color issue with DS3000 and Nikkor 85mm lens"
In response to Reply # 0

Hatboro, Pa, US

Hi Ken. Welcome to Nikonian's. Blue can be a problem with some sensors. I had problems with shooting flowers with either the D200 or D300 a few years ago. I see you have a D700. How does that work with blue clothing? Generally when you get a purple cast with dark clothing it can be caused by infra red contamination. If that is the case an inexpensive IR cut filter will eliminate it. This was a problem with the D2H and the Leica M8. Leica even furnished the filters free of charge. Sunlight is very rich in IR.

Have you tried other WB settings? Auto, Daylight and shade should work outdoors. I don't have a D3000 so I can't experiment with you. What 85mm lens do you have?

Len

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Sun 15-Jun-14 12:58 PM
3095 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Color issue with DS3000 and Nikkor 85mm lens"
In response to Reply # 2

Hatboro, Pa, US

Here's a comparison shot of a black wind breaker shot with the D2Hs and an AI 85mm f1.8.

The 1st shot is without a filter.

This is the same scene but with a Tiffen Hot Mirror filter (IR cut). The jacket in this photo is the correct color.

The purple cast in the 1st photo is caused by IR. I don't have a blue jacket to photograph but I can see where blue could easily turn purple with this lighting if your camera has a weak IR filter on the sensor.

Len

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)

kenm1210 Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Dec 2011Sun 15-Jun-14 01:41 PM
9 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Color issue with DS3000 and Nikkor 85mm lens"
In response to Reply # 3

Hudson, US

Len,
Thank you for this information.
I'll give your suggestions a go.
This really looks like my camera issue.

Rgds,
Ken

kenm1210 Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Dec 2011Sun 15-Jun-14 01:49 PM
#5. "RE: Color issue with DS3000 and Nikkor 85mm lens"
In response to Reply # 3

Hudson, US

Hi Len,
Can you recommend a particular Tiffen IR Cut filter.
There seems to be a few of them on their site.
I have a Nikkor 85mm F1.4 lens.

Thank you,
Ken

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Sun 15-Jun-14 02:27 PM
#6. "RE: Color issue with DS3000 and Nikkor 85mm lens"
In response to Reply # 5

Hatboro, Pa, US

Ken if you have the AFS 85mm f1.4 lens you'll need a 77mm filter. Filters in this size get expensive.

Here are the IR cut filters that B&H sells in the 77mm size.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?atclk=Circular+Sizes_77mm&ci=16886&N=4026728330+4294955264

I only have the Tiffen Standard Hot Mirror filter but in a 52mm size for my manual focus lenses when I shoot UV photos. It filters the IR from the UV. It is a good filter and has been a standard for removing IR for years. The Tiffen T1 filter seems to do the same thing for a lower price.

I can't say that IR is your problem though. If you buy a filter you should be sure it can be returned if it doesn't work.

By the way synthetic fabrics like polyester will show the purple color shift much more than cotton.

Len

kenm1210 Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Dec 2011Sun 15-Jun-14 02:33 PM
#7. "RE: Color issue with DS3000 and Nikkor 85mm lens"
In response to Reply # 6

Hudson, US

Thanks Len,
I'll check into the camera WB settings and the filter and see where it leads. This has been a good learning process for me.

Rgds,
Ken

pjonesCET Gold Member Nikonian since 11th Jul 2011Mon 16-Jun-14 03:03 PM
573 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#8. "RE: Color issue with DS3000 and Nikkor 85mm lens"
In response to Reply # 7

Martinsville, US

If you truly have a D3000 (DX3000) hang on to it for dear life the View finder is much brighter than the 3200. Don't Know if the 3300 is any better.

Phillip M Jones, CET
pjonescet@comcast.net
http://www.phillipmjones.net/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/pjonescet/
http://www.phillipjones-cet.net

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Tue 17-Jun-14 02:18 PM
#9. "RE: Color issue with DS3000 and Nikkor 85mm lens"
In response to Reply # 7

Hatboro, Pa, US

Ken
You can get the 77mm Tiffen Hot Mirror filter from KEH for $76.

http://www.keh.com/camera/Filters-Filters/1/sku-FI249990565590?r=FE

Len

kenm1210 Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Dec 2011Tue 17-Jun-14 07:58 PM
#10. "RE: Color issue with DS3000 and Nikkor 85mm lens"
In response to Reply # 9

Hudson, US

Len,
Thanks for this info! This is an outstanding price. I'm going to send back the one I already ordered from BH and get this one.

Most appreciated,
Ken

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #9789 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.