Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #9781
View in linear mode

Subject: "Autofocus problems with D3200" Previous topic | Next topic
antscott Registered since 08th Jun 2014Sun 08-Jun-14 05:39 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Autofocus problems with D3200"

US

I've scanned the archives some on this subject and am not finding a solution. Please forgive me if this has already been addressed.

I've a new D3200 from Adorama with kit lens. Out of the box I'm able to do a halfway reasonable job with manual focus. However, only perhaps 1 in 7 autofocus pictures are indeed in focus. I've tried to simplify things by trying to focus on stationary objects in AF-S mode (and yes, I've ensured that the lens is set to "A"). The green light will go on indicating that the 'red' dot in the field is indeed in focus. BUT: when taken the picture just isn't. I mean, it's not even remotely close. If I switch to manual mode I can do a heck of a lot better.

I've tried tests on default factory settings, as well. No can do -- just doesn't help. Nevertheless I'm more than open to the notion that this is simple operator error. I'm surprised if it is, a bit, as these things usually work halfway well out of the box, but stranger things... for sure!

I'm loath to simply send the sucker back, in part because I've an upcoming trip in ANWR in two weeks that I'm keen to take the camera on. I'm really hoping that my problems are my fault and not the camera's. (Again, at this point I'm focussed on the camera, as the AF issues are not even remotely close despite what the green indicator light says, and because I can manually focus well enough to live with.)

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Autofocus problems with D3200
JosephK Silver Member
08th Jun 2014
antscott
08th Jun 2014
JosephK Silver Member
08th Jun 2014
sl01
09th Jun 2014
Tazflyr Gold Member
10th Jun 2014
photocyan Team Member
23rd Jun 2014

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Sun 08-Jun-14 05:47 PM
4478 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Autofocus problems with D3200"
In response to Reply # 0

Seattle, WA, US

What would be really helpful is an example photo with all the EXIF data intact so that we can see the exposure and focus settings.

---------+---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D700, D200, D70S, 24-70mm f/2.8, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II, TC20e3,
50mm f/1.4 D, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX

antscott Registered since 08th Jun 2014Sun 08-Jun-14 05:52 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Autofocus problems with D3200"
In response to Reply # 1

US

Wow, that was fast! Thanks for the response, JosephK!

Now let me display my knuckleheadedness:

1) how do I post a picture here? Do I need to be a silver (or better) member to do so?

2) how do I ensure that the "EXIF" data are intact?

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Sun 08-Jun-14 06:06 PM
4478 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Autofocus problems with D3200"
In response to Reply # 2

Seattle, WA, US

You need to be a silver member to get the picture posted inline with the text, but a link to a pic posted elsewhere or to your Nikonians gallery will work fine.

The easiest way to keep the EXIF data intact is to not edit the picture (editing includes resizing). Unfortunately, resizing is needed for posting to Nikonians inline and gallery. Adobe and other third-part editors remove the data we want to see, so your best bet is to use Nikon's software (Capture NX2 or View NX2) to do any resizing.

---------+---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D700, D200, D70S, 24-70mm f/2.8, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II, TC20e3,
50mm f/1.4 D, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX

sl01 Registered since 07th Jan 2014Mon 09-Jun-14 06:43 AM
49 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Autofocus problems with D3200"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon 09-Jun-14 06:53 AM by sl01

PL

Hello Antony
It's hard to say something about your issue without samples.

What YOU can do is:
- Shoot raw. If you do so, View Nx can show you focus point(s) used for the photo when you view your photos on the computer. And you can check whether these parts of the photo (inside red squares) are sharp or not.
- Try using different aperture settings, different focal lengths.
- Use central focus point (the best one).
- Shoot using viewfinder and live view (these are different focusing systems).

Also - have you noticed a tendency that most photos are focused CLOSER than the subject? Or maybe your camera focuses BEHIND it?

If you are still sure that most photos of static objects, with decent contrast and in decent light, are out of focus, a hardware malfunction is probable.
Regards
S.

Tazflyr Gold Member Nikonian since 16th Dec 2012Tue 10-Jun-14 02:00 AM
34 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Autofocus problems with D3200"
In response to Reply # 0

Sneads Ferry, US

Not sure if this will fix it or not but on the chance it's NOT operator error, try this:

http://regex.info/blog/photo-tech/focus-chart

The d7000 had some focus issues and a few ppl I know used this autofocus test chart with success. Make sure to read the directions though or you'll be shooting yourself in the foot.

Good luck!

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

photocyan Team Member Nikonian since 02nd Dec 2013Mon 23-Jun-14 01:05 PM
19 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Autofocus problems with D3200"
In response to Reply # 0

Bratislava, SK

Hi,
I would suggest to use another lens. The problem may not lie in the camera but in the kit lens.
j~

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #9781 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.