nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Autofocus problems with D3200

antscott

US
2 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
antscott Registered since 08th Jun 2014
Sun 08-Jun-14 05:39 PM

I've scanned the archives some on this subject and am not finding a solution. Please forgive me if this has already been addressed.

I've a new D3200 from Adorama with kit lens. Out of the box I'm able to do a halfway reasonable job with manual focus. However, only perhaps 1 in 7 autofocus pictures are indeed in focus. I've tried to simplify things by trying to focus on stationary objects in AF-S mode (and yes, I've ensured that the lens is set to "A"). The green light will go on indicating that the 'red' dot in the field is indeed in focus. BUT: when taken the picture just isn't. I mean, it's not even remotely close. If I switch to manual mode I can do a heck of a lot better.

I've tried tests on default factory settings, as well. No can do -- just doesn't help. Nevertheless I'm more than open to the notion that this is simple operator error. I'm surprised if it is, a bit, as these things usually work halfway well out of the box, but stranger things... for sure!

I'm loath to simply send the sucker back, in part because I've an upcoming trip in ANWR in two weeks that I'm keen to take the camera on. I'm really hoping that my problems are my fault and not the camera's. (Again, at this point I'm focussed on the camera, as the AF issues are not even remotely close despite what the green indicator light says, and because I can manually focus well enough to live with.)

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Autofocus problems with D3200

G