nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #9720
View in linear mode

Subject: "How can I tell how much space is left on my memory card..." Previous topic | Next topic
Gabs Registered since 20th May 2014Tue 20-May-14 02:35 PM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"How can I tell how much space is left on my memory card?"

IL

Hi,

I have a difficult time figuring out at any given moment how much free space I have on my memory card. I have a D5300. On other cameras this information is quite straight forward like 83% of space used (or alternatively a filling up scale or a dial or any designers' idea of an indicator). On the D5300 I can't find this information.

Anyone can help please?

Thanks.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: How can I tell how much space is left on my memory ...
Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Writer Ribbon awarded for his contributions to the Nikonians Resources articles library
20th May 2014
Gabs
21st May 2014
MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas
20th May 2014
MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas
20th May 2014
blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas
21st May 2014
Gabs
21st May 2014
Gabs
21st May 2014

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Writer Ribbon awarded for his contributions to the Nikonians Resources articles library Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Tue 20-May-14 03:11 PM
3439 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: How can I tell how much space is left on my memory card?"
In response to Reply # 0

Hatboro, Pa, US

The info display tells you approximately how many exposures remain. It is the number inside the brackets on the right hand side, center of the display.

Len

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Gabs Registered since 20th May 2014Wed 21-May-14 06:46 AM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: How can I tell how much space is left on my memory card?"
In response to Reply # 1

IL

OK, now I got the hang of it. I have right now 1.6K in the brackets and the math makes sense, albeit quite roughly for the obvious reasons.

Thanks

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Tue 20-May-14 09:25 PM
27015 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: How can I tell how much space is left on my memory card?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Gabe,

Welcome to Nikonians!
Glad to have you with us.

On the right side of the viewfinder display the Number of Images Remaining will be shown within the Brackets. It is also shown on the right side of the "info" display on the back LCD. See page 4 and 6 in the D5300 Reference Manual.

BTW:
When you get a few minutes please fill in your Last name in your User Profile.

We always encourage our members to fill in their real first and last names, and have made that issue a part of our Terms of Use.

The intent is to foster a community of "real people" instead of mysterious web personalities with anonymous screen names. Doing this helps to establish and maintain a safe, civil and friendly environment.

Thanks in advance.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Tue 20-May-14 09:28 PM
27015 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: How can I tell how much space is left on my memory card?"
In response to Reply # 2

US

Gabe,

Also, keep in mind that the Number of Images Remaining shown in the display is a conservative estimate. The closer to capacity the card gets, the more accurate the number will be.

Best Regards,
Marty

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Wed 21-May-14 02:41 AM
26905 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#4. "RE: How can I tell how much space is left on my memory card?"
In response to Reply # 3

Richmond, US

The reason it's not "accurate" is that the camera compresses the files before storing them, and compression factors are very dependent on the content of the image. As an example, a picture of a blank sky compresses very well, while a picture of random colored noise compresses very poorly. So the camera shows you how many frames are left, assuming very little compression. Usually that is quite conservative, but it can never mislead you into thinking you have X left when that many won't fit. I shoot compressed raw files, and if the camera says 600 frames remaining, I can pretty much expect that 1150-1200 will fit.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

Gabs Registered since 20th May 2014Wed 21-May-14 06:54 AM
#7. "RE: How can I tell how much space is left on my memory card?"
In response to Reply # 4

IL

Thanks Brian,

As an information systems professional I fully understand your point about compression.

By the way, I browsed quickly through your galleries. The pictures of Yosemite are spectacular! Nothing short of sensational. I'll be back soon to give those wonderful albums the proper attention that they deserve.

Gabe

Gabs Registered since 20th May 2014Wed 21-May-14 06:37 AM
#5. "RE: How can I tell how much space is left on my memory card?"
In response to Reply # 2

IL

>BTW:
>When you get a few minutes please fill in your Last name in
>your User Profile.
>
>We always encourage our members to fill in their real first
>and last names, and have made that issue a part of our Terms
>of Use.
>
>The intent is to foster a community of "real people"
>instead of mysterious web personalities with anonymous screen
>names. Doing this helps to establish and maintain a safe,
>civil and friendly environment.

Hi,

Thanks for the warm welcome and the useful information.

Regarding your request, with cybercrime at large, I am trying to disclose publicly as little personal information as is strictly necessary. I do respect your community and terms of use would be more than happy to exchange all information in private messages and get to know the other members and have them knowing me.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #9720 Previous topic | Next topic