Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #9699
View in linear mode

Subject: "HDR with D3200?" Previous topic | Next topic
dr_eyehead Registered since 17th May 2014Sat 17-May-14 06:12 PM
24 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"HDR with D3200?"

GB

Hi I just bought a new D3200 and I'm slightly miffed because I chose it as the most economical option amongst several others I was looking at, and in doing so sacrificed the HDR feature that some of the others had.

Two weeks later and the D3300 comes out and is now on sale in PC World for only £50 more, with HDR.

I was wondering though what my options for taking HDR with this. I suppose it's possible to do manually, but probably very difficult to achieve good results for a number of reason. Is there any way to bootleg this feature onto the camera, or is there maybe a gadget I can connect to the camera that performs this type of photography?

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: HDR with D3200?
JosephK Silver Member
17th May 2014
dr_eyehead
17th May 2014
JosephK Silver Member
17th May 2014
dr_eyehead
17th May 2014
JosephK Silver Member
17th May 2014
PBlais Silver Member
17th May 2014
dr_eyehead
17th May 2014
JosephK Silver Member
18th May 2014
blw Moderator
18th May 2014
dr_eyehead
18th May 2014
PBlais Silver Member
19th May 2014

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Sat 17-May-14 06:45 PM
4628 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: HDR with D3200?"
In response to Reply # 0

Seattle, WA, US

HDR is basically taking multiple exposures (dark, medium, light) and combining them using software into one image. You can easily do this with the D3200 and software on your computer. The results you get should be far better than what the D3300 can do in camera with only two exposures.

Since the D3x00 series does not do auto bracketing, you will need to the exposures manually: put the camera on a tripod and set the camera to manual exposure. Pick the aperture and ISO you want. Center the meter by adjusting the shutter speed. Take one picture centered, adjust the shutter speed faster for another picture, adjust the shutter speed slower for a third picture. (Do more if desired.)

Import the pictures into your software editor that does HDR processing.

---------+---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D700, D200, D70S, 24-70mm f/2.8, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II, TC20e3,
50mm f/1.4 D, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX

dr_eyehead Registered since 17th May 2014Sat 17-May-14 06:59 PM
24 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: HDR with D3200?"
In response to Reply # 1

GB

I'm just trying to work out how to do that. It's just a case of using different exposures on the same aperture setting then?

When you say the D3x00 series doesn't feature autobracketing then do you mean that the D3300 has some form of HDR processing that doesn't use auto-bracketing? Just not sure I understand what that is.

One problem with doing this manually is that things move, such as trees move in the wind etc. and so the result is not going to be as accurate manually for that reason.

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Sat 17-May-14 07:13 PM
4628 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: HDR with D3200?"
In response to Reply # 2

Seattle, WA, US

>I'm just trying to work out how to do that. It's just a case
>of using different exposures on the same aperture setting
>then?

Yes. Keeping the aperture the same for all shots is important so that focus issues do not vary between frames.

>When you say the D3x00 series doesn't feature autobracketing
>then do you mean that the D3300 has some form of HDR
>processing that doesn't use auto-bracketing? Just not sure I
>understand what that is.

The D3300 in HDR mode is specifically programmed to take two exposures and then do the processing. You would give only the initial exposure (if that) into the process.

Exposure bracketing can be used for things other than HDR. For the cameras that support an "auto bracket" setting, you get to pick the number of frames in the sequence and how much exposure difference there is between the frames; then the camera will take all the needed pictures making the exposure differences for you, either all at once or at your leisure.

>One problem with doing this manually is that things move, such
>as trees move in the wind etc. and so the result is not going
>to be as accurate manually for that reason.

This problem also occurs when using an auto-bracketing camera. Cloud movement can be easier to deal with; but the movement of leaves, grass, and water is hard for all cameras.

Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

dr_eyehead Registered since 17th May 2014Sat 17-May-14 07:21 PM
#4. "RE: HDR with D3200?"
In response to Reply # 3

GB

I thought HDR involved more than 2 shots, is that the case for other HDR cameras? I guess if you are going to do it manually then 2 would be easier if the same results are achievable.

Got any links to online tutorials for this? I had a look at one and it wasn't very good.

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Sat 17-May-14 08:12 PM
#5. "RE: HDR with D3200?"
In response to Reply # 4
Sat 17-May-14 08:14 PM by JosephK

Seattle, WA, US

Two shots would be the bare minimum needed. However, I have never seen anyone ever pick less than three.

Nikon's D3300, D5x00, and D7100 all use the same two shots with no/little input from the user. It all seems like a marketing checkbox where you can easily get better results doing it yourself.

These two tutorials should get you moving in the right direction. You may not have the exact software they use, but any HDR merging software will be similar and do the job.
http://www.stuckincustoms.com/hdr-tutorial/
http://photographylife.com/hdr-photography-tutorial

Also have a look at the Nikonians HDR forum.

Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

PBlais Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Jan 2014Sat 17-May-14 08:13 PM
622 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: HDR with D3200?"
In response to Reply # 0

Hayes, US

I shot HDR on a D3100. The best gadget - Get a tripod, some software and shoot raw images. You have enough camera to take seriously GREAT HDR images today right now. Auto bracketing is a nice feature and there is a JPG HDR mode as well but it's not really required and of course you don't have it.

Bottom line shooting manual is not a bad way to go and only a bit of work. Bracketing can be done manually pretty easy. You just take an auto shot and review it so you know you have a decent shot and look at the histogram. Next decide if you need more shots faster or slower. Now use manual mode to take the same aperture at different shutter speeds keeping the ISO and aperture the same as the first shot (very important). You also need a tripod to make this easier.

You could do one stop, third or half stops and multiple stops both up and down. You then merge them in Photoshop or get a copy of Photomatix. It will process the images and let you play with the tone mapping. That is where the fun of HDR is tone mapping the dynamic range is where the art lies and what makes really great HDR. Auto HDR removes the good part!

The JPG HDR I don't think is all that great. It's just two shots that are auto merged in camera to make one jpg. Active D Light is almost the same thing. I have it on my D5200 and don't use it. I do have brackets but only 3. Nikon saves a lot of these features for the higher end cameras. You also don't get tethering nor the D3300.

The D3200 is a good camera compared to what else you could have purchased. Don't let the little bells and whistles get to you. Once you get that down try panoramic HDR images! You could do those too. A Nikon 35mm or 50mm prime is CHEAP and works well for both HDR and panoramics. You could grow beyond the kit lens.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

dr_eyehead Registered since 17th May 2014Sat 17-May-14 09:55 PM
#7. "RE: HDR with D3200?"
In response to Reply # 6

GB

Great information there thanks. I feel not so bad now that I know all this. I guess I have a lot to learn, but hopefully eventually I'll get to take some nice pictures with my new camera.

So do I add the different exposure as layers in photoshop and play around with the transparency (amongst other things)? I had a go at this with three difference exposures and it didn't look that great but I suppose I need to get to grips with a bit more post processing and that.

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Sun 18-May-14 12:21 AM
#8. "RE: HDR with D3200?"
In response to Reply # 7

Seattle, WA, US

Let the software do the work for you:
From the menu in photoshop: /file/automate/merge to hdr pro

Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Sun 18-May-14 01:14 AM
26786 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#9. "RE: HDR with D3200?"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond, US

As you can see, it's not the end of the world. In fact, while I obviously haven't tried the D3300 yet (is it even out?) I can guess with some confidence that doing the HDR in post processing will probably yield better results in the long run. For one thing, you have your choice of HDR software, all of which will read and combine your files. With the camera, what Nikon gives you is what you get. When the post processing software runs in your computer, it is virtually guaranteed to have more resources at its disposal, and moreover it doesn't need to drain your battery to do it. And perhaps most certainly of all, HDR software will continue to be improved in the future. It's not too likely that the HDR in the camera will be improved very much. So even in the unlikely event that the camera does a better job right now, that is likely to be reversed in a year or two.

Also, note that most of us have been shooting HDR since the dawn of the digital age, and even high end cameras such as the D800 and D3/D3s/D3x don't have HDR.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

dr_eyehead Registered since 17th May 2014Sun 18-May-14 11:55 AM
#10. "RE: HDR with D3200?"
In response to Reply # 9

GB

Yes it's definitely out in the UK. I had one in my hands the other day. Software is pretty slick, but in the end if the HDR feature is as limited as it seems then it doesn't really matter. The only other difference was a greater range in ISO, went up to around twice as sensitive, but then maybe the highest ISO setting on it is the same as Hi1 on the D3200.

PBlais Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Jan 2014Mon 19-May-14 10:41 PM
622 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: HDR with D3200?"
In response to Reply # 10

Hayes, US

I have the jpg HDR in my D5200 it's not impressive. It is nice if you just don't care about doing any post and it is a small step above active D light where you have to guess which way to go. Real HDR is is on the manual tome mapping. It's a lot of work shooting HDR and you ought to get your and dirty in the process. It's really where the payoff and fun is any way.

Real photographers work in the darkroom. It ain't dark any more with digital - but it's still work! The real bar is HDR panos and HDR time lapse!

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #9699 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.