Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #9681
View in linear mode

Subject: "D5300 time lapse, video length, options??" Previous topic | Next topic
lrbodnar Registered since 12th May 2014Mon 12-May-14 09:02 PM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D5300 time lapse, video length, options??"

US

Hello, Ive just purchased a Nikon D5300, and am very excited to get shooting with it. This is my first DSLR, after along history of point and shots... etc.

Now ive just ordered the camera, and am still waiting for it to come in the mail, but ive started thinking about the different projects im going to be doing with the camera, and have thought of a few questions.

I have searched quite alot over the past couple days, and cant seem to find the answers to my questions online, so thats what brings me here.

1- One project im going to be working on is a piece were I want to set the camera up on a tripod, and leave it for about 8 to 10 hours. Im trying to get 10 mins of 1080p video in the beginning, and 10 mins of 1080p video at the end. So thats now leaving me with about 7 hrs and 40 mins of video that I would like to have speed up, to show time passing. From what ive been reading, the best way to do this is to take time lapse shot. My question is, is it possible to "program" the camera to take the full video, then automatically go to time lapse mode, then automatically got back to video mode?? Now even if this is not possible, maybe some tips on how to accomplish this, even if that means buying a second DSLR, of a Camcorder. Or maybe having to edit this in post.

2- This kinda leads into my second question, Ive seen that you should be able to export the live feed from the camera to your computer, which im guessing I would have to do, due to the amount of data this will be. Ive read all over the place that there is a firmware update for the D5100 to hack the video, and make this happen. I cant seem to find any information though on if this is needed on the D5300?

Lastly please keep in mind I am a beginner, and REALLY appreciate any sort of answer to either of my questions.

Thank you again.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D5300 time lapse, video length, options??
Leonard62 Gold Member
12th May 2014
lrbodnar
12th May 2014
JosephK Silver Member
13th May 2014
PBlais Silver Member
13th May 2014
lrbodnar
16th May 2014
PBlais Silver Member
18th May 2014
RRRoger Silver Member
02nd Jun 2014

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Mon 12-May-14 09:38 PM
2933 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D5300 time lapse, video length, options??"
In response to Reply # 0

Hatboro, Pa, US

Are you aware you can only record continuously for 29 mim and 59 sec. After that you need to restart recording the next clip and the next. So for 8 hours of recording you will have to start a new clip every 30 minutes.

Len

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

lrbodnar Registered since 12th May 2014Mon 12-May-14 10:14 PM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D5300 time lapse, video length, options??"
In response to Reply # 1

US

I did see that you can only record 29 mins of video. Does the time lapse feature fall under the same restrictions? The main bulk of the shoot I wanted to use time lapse.... Mainly just to get around the reason you have stated.

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Tue 13-May-14 12:39 AM
4150 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D5300 time lapse, video length, options??"
In response to Reply # 2
Tue 13-May-14 12:42 AM by JosephK

Seattle, WA, US

The "time lapse" feature is not video, it is still frames. It becomes video by you when you convert the still frames into a video on your computer, if that is your desired output. It will let you take X number of frames every Y number of minutes for Z repetitions.

See the "interval timer shooting" in the manual, which you can download from NikonUSA.com or the EU Nikon site.
http://support.nikontech.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/18762

---------+---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D700, D200, D70S, 24-70mm f/2.8, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II, TC20e3,
50mm f/1.4 D, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX

PBlais Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Jan 2014Tue 13-May-14 01:02 AM
326 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D5300 time lapse, video length, options??"
In response to Reply # 0

Hayes, US

You'l need an external intervalometer for the time lapse. The built in one will only shoot 999 frames and external one could soot until you filled the card or changed it in between intervals.

So you'll shoot real video at each end then shot interval still between. In post you'll blend them all into one video. You can't do all this in camera.

Applications like Adobe Premier will let you capture time lapse at one rate then convert to video at another rate of your choice. The begin and end video just is another cut you add into the mix.

lrbodnar Registered since 12th May 2014Fri 16-May-14 05:28 PM
#5. "RE: D5300 time lapse, video length, options??"
In response to Reply # 4

US

Thank you everybody, from the help from here, and searching around, I think I figured out how to piece this all together.

I did notice that the body only let me go up to 999 stills, but luckily I think that just may be enough to get the job done. Thank you everybody again.

PBlais Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Jan 2014Sun 18-May-14 09:08 PM
326 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: D5300 time lapse, video length, options??"
In response to Reply # 5

Hayes, US

If you have an iOS phone or an iPod TriggerTrap makes a dongle for pretty cheap and if you can power the phone you can shoot forever (or nearly so). It's pretty cheap compared to other options.

Time lapse is very cool. You can do a LOT with it on your camera. If you have Adobe Premier and After Effects you can simulate pans and zooms after you capture the still frames. It's basically a way to get you into seriously great video using stills. You can make any frame rate from what you shot.

If you have Netflix go to Documentaries and search for "Moving Flowers" There is no audio except music and it runs under 1/2 hour. This is 90% time lapse made into video like you have never seen before plus a little real video thrown in at the end. You could theoretically shoot this with lenses and lighting on your camera.

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberMon 02-Jun-14 02:22 PM
3139 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: D5300 time lapse, video length, options??"
In response to Reply # 6

Monterey Bay, US

I have a D5300 and it has exceeded my expectations in every way,
especially low light/high ISO usable to 12,800.

Movie lenghts are basically constricted by the 4GB file limit
This could be overcome by firmware that would allow the camera to self restart or to use xFAT file system.

In the highest quality 1080 P60 you currently only get 10 minutes recordings.
At highest quality 1080 P30 you get 20 minutes and at lower settings you can get up to but not including 30 minutes due to EURO tariffs.
Much more information is available in the DSLR Video forum.

Not sure about time lapse, but you would have to overcome camera timeouts and battery limitations.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #9681 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.