Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #9669
View in linear mode

Subject: "LCD screen" Previous topic | Next topic
microbotanist Registered since 10th May 2014Sat 10-May-14 03:06 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"LCD screen"

US

If I use the AF-S VR Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8 IF-ED lens on the d5200 body, how can I tell how much of the view on the LCD screen is picked up by the sensor?

I think the lens is an FX format lens, the sensor is DX format, and the monitor shows what the lens sees. Please let me know if I'm wrong about any of these assumptions.

Thanks for your help. I haven't bought any of this equipment yet, just collecting information for decision making.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

ctrclckws Gold Member Nikonian since 25th Jul 2013Sat 10-May-14 03:44 PM
80 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: LCD screen"
In response to Reply # 0

Jersey City, US

The sensor supplies the liveview image so it's pretty much a 100% view. Are you thinking of the crop factor, which gives a field of view equivalent to a 152.5 mm lens?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

microbotanist Registered since 10th May 2014Sat 10-May-14 06:01 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: LCD screen"
In response to Reply # 1

US

I was thinking that the lens, which is FX format and would project an image larger than the DX sensor, would supply the view on the LCD. I would then only get part of what I saw on the LCD on the sensor. You are saying, I think, that no matter how large the image made by the lens, what I see on the LCD, is what I get on the sensor.

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Sat 10-May-14 06:49 PM
28918 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: LCD screen"
In response to Reply # 2

Paignton, GB

In Live View, the rear LCD displays exactly the same image that is recorded by the sensor. This is nothing to do with the type of lens being used.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

ctrclckws Gold Member Nikonian since 25th Jul 2013Sun 11-May-14 12:03 AM
80 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: LCD screen"
In response to Reply # 2

Jersey City, US

Correct, put the same fx format lens on a fx camera, and the image will have more on the side. A dx sensor uses a smaller portion of the available image circle of an fx lens.

I proved the crop factor relationship to myself by taking a 50mm fx picture, and a 35mm dx picture. Sitting in the same spot, taking a picture of the same object at at same distance, the image was almost exactly the same. Put the 50mm on the dx and image will be a smaller center crop of what was seen on the fx frame.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #9669 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.