Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #9665
View in linear mode

Subject: "Broken LCD and screen" Previous topic | Next topic
Shy Talk Registered since 12th Jun 2010Sat 10-May-14 09:50 AM
549 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Broken LCD and screen"

Port Glasgow, GB

Well, more fool me.
Packed my D3100 in my check in luggage. It must have had a helluva drop because virtually everything in the bag got damaged- was a hard samsonite case too.

Anyway, not only is the glass heavily cracked, the rear LCD underneath is clearly bust too. The camera still works, but can't see the pictures.

I'm away from home, in India- but have tools here. Is it a DIY proposition? Can I get parts from somewhere?
I'm quite able with the spanners... But has anyone actually done this?

Many thanks
Simon

my webpage is at http://www.scottishops.co.uk

my Nikonians gallery is here. http://images.nikonians.org/galleries/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/330319

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

OldCodger Registered since 15th Oct 2011Sat 10-May-14 02:54 PM
580 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Broken LCD and screen"
In response to Reply # 0
Sat 10-May-14 02:55 PM by OldCodger

Sawbridgeworth Hertfordshire, GB

I cannot really answer the point about getting the bits, but I can raise a caution, unless you are very practised at this type of work on cameras, I would not go near to trying this at home. Until it is properly examined you will not know what is broken, bent, fractured, misshaped, etc.
I would have suggested trying your hand and eye on a known no hope wreak to see if that puts you off, but as you are travelling that is not an option.
A further thought, are you insured, if so do not touch DYI repairs.
Richard

Shy Talk Registered since 12th Jun 2010Sat 17-May-14 04:39 PM
549 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Broken LCD and screen"
In response to Reply # 1

Port Glasgow, GB

Well, today I decided to strip the thing and reassemble it BEFORE ordering the parts.

After all, I've never stripped a DSLR before.

With the help of this YouTube film

http://youtu.be/uW9y8AaT1js

I was able to take the thing to bits and reassemble it. Some of the fasteners are cunningly hidden.....

Forced to use my bulky D300s meantime, I now realise why the 300s cost three times as much though. It's a bargain as it's five times the tool that the D3100 is!

Anyway, for £25 I can fix the D 3100, so might as well do it.

my webpage is at http://www.scottishops.co.uk

my Nikonians gallery is here. http://images.nikonians.org/galleries/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/330319

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Sat 17-May-14 05:41 PM
26126 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Broken LCD and screen"
In response to Reply # 2

US

Hi Simon,

>Forced to use my bulky D300s meantime, I now realise why the
>300s cost three times as much though. It's a bargain as it's
>five times the tool that the D3100 is!

I agree! The D3100 feels like a toy compared to the D300.

>Anyway, for £25 I can fix the D 3100, so might as well do it.
>

Absolutely!

Best Regards,
Marty

OldCodger Registered since 15th Oct 2011Sat 17-May-14 05:52 PM
580 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Broken LCD and screen"
In response to Reply # 2

Sawbridgeworth Hertfordshire, GB

If you can get the bits and successfully fix it for £ 25 that is a real bargain. I am probably older than you, note just older and not wiser, but I would hesitate to take on a task like that these days. My eyes and fingers are not quite what they were.
Once it is back working OK, just be sure not to drop it again!
Good luck and happy shooting.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #9665 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.