Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #9657
View in linear mode

Subject: "New D5300 No GPS Response" Previous topic | Next topic
colbyseider Registered since 06th May 2014Thu 08-May-14 09:03 PM
9 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"New D5300 No GPS Response"

US

I just unpacked my new D5300 and the GPS function does not seem to be able to find a signal. I've tried it indoors at home and at my office, and outside. All I get is the flashing satellite icon.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: New D5300 No GPS Response
Ray Gerke
08th May 2014
Leonard62 Gold Member
09th May 2014
colbyseider
09th May 2014
Leonard62 Gold Member
09th May 2014
Ray Gerke
09th May 2014
pjonesCET Gold Member
10th May 2014
colbyseider
10th May 2014
ctrclckws Gold Member
10th May 2014
Leonard62 Gold Member
10th May 2014
Leonard62 Gold Member
10th May 2014
CPR
10th May 2014
Leonard62 Gold Member
10th May 2014
Leonard62 Gold Member
11th May 2014
PBlais Silver Member
11th May 2014
pjonesCET Gold Member
12th May 2014

Ray Gerke Registered since 12th Sep 2004Thu 08-May-14 11:24 PM
633 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: New D5300 No GPS Response"
In response to Reply # 0

winnipeg, CA

turn it on in the menu to start with.
also it wont work inside.
it wont work if near tall buildings (stopping the satellite signal)
hope this helps

Ray Gerke

D800, D5300, D2HS, D700 (sold), D7000(sold), CP520, CP510
Nikkor 24mm f/1.4, Nikkor 50mm f/1.4, Nikkor 58mm f/1.4, Nikkor 85mm f/1.4, Nikkor 14-24 F/2.8, Nikkor 80-200 f/2.8, Nikkor 24-120VR, Nikkor Micro 60mm f/2.8, Nikkor Micro 105mm f/2.8VR, Nikkor 10.5 DX
Sigma 30mm f/1.4, Sigma 150-500mm OS

My mapped photos from around the world

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Fri 09-May-14 01:46 PM
3096 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: New D5300 No GPS Response"
In response to Reply # 0

Hatboro, Pa, US

I think the GPS in the D5300 may be a bit iffy. I have no need for the location data but I decided to turn it on this morning out of curiosity. Indoors the flashing satellite icon started to blink. I went outside for about 5 minutes. It's a bit humid and a foggy morning. Even though the icon was still blinking I took a photo anyway and then went inside. When I looked at the photo I was surprised to see accurate location data was present in the EXIF data.

I went outside again and still had the blinking icon. I popped open the flash and noted the icon immediately stopped blinking and I had 3 bars next to the icon. I closed the flash and the icon stayed steady. I then took a 5 more photos. Of the 5 only one had location data.

I'll try it again this afternoon when the fog lifts.

Len

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

colbyseider Registered since 06th May 2014Fri 09-May-14 02:18 PM
9 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: New D5300 No GPS Response"
In response to Reply # 2

US

Len and Ray,

Thanks for your replies. I hope more reply with their experiences.

I will try your flash-pop up trick today to see if that makes a difference. I was also reading Nikon's full manual for the D5300 and it's no real help except that it mentions the use of an Assistive GPS file which I guess is a geocoded file that resides in the Nikon folder on the SD card. I'll try that too.

Marshall

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Fri 09-May-14 04:06 PM
3096 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: New D5300 No GPS Response"
In response to Reply # 3

Hatboro, Pa, US

Just to add. I found I was getting more photos with location data the longer I stayed outside. I also found that in some cases if I take two photos of exactly the same scene in quick succession one photo may have the GPS data and the second photo no data.

I also found the data extremely accurate. If I view the photo, using Apple's Preview, there is a GPS tab which lists the GPS data and a Google map. If I then press press the Find option it zooms right into a street view of my house, only my house.

Len

Ray Gerke Registered since 12th Sep 2004Fri 09-May-14 11:35 PM
633 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: New D5300 No GPS Response"
In response to Reply # 0

winnipeg, CA

all the nikon GPS units I have tried (including the 5300) are slow to get a fix on satellites. they are not like the cellphones that can triangulate from cell towers as well as GPS satellites.
Once they get a fix they are really accurate. Once they have a fix once they get the next fix quicker as the search is narrowed down.
I geo tag most of my photos and with the D5300 you might have to wait about 2 minutes before you get bars on the GPS icon. Once it knows where you are then subsequent fixes are quicker. As said above if you are indoors it wont work or if you are near a tall building it wont work. most other circumstances it works well but you have to wait for it. I have found the bars are always an accurate indication of the GPS signal accuracy.

Ray Gerke

D800, D5300, D2HS, D700 (sold), D7000(sold), CP520, CP510
Nikkor 24mm f/1.4, Nikkor 50mm f/1.4, Nikkor 58mm f/1.4, Nikkor 85mm f/1.4, Nikkor 14-24 F/2.8, Nikkor 80-200 f/2.8, Nikkor 24-120VR, Nikkor Micro 60mm f/2.8, Nikkor Micro 105mm f/2.8VR, Nikkor 10.5 DX
Sigma 30mm f/1.4, Sigma 150-500mm OS

My mapped photos from around the world

pjonesCET Gold Member Nikonian since 11th Jul 2011Sat 10-May-14 04:25 AM
573 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#6. "RE: New D5300 No GPS Response"
In response to Reply # 0
Sat 10-May-14 04:29 AM by pjonesCET

Martinsville, US

I bought one for my D3200 Camera (an External model). I Plugged it in in a Church Cemetery. I never did acquire a signal and I let it stay on 10 minutes. I Tried it again also out side. Still haven't got it to work. Have had too long to send back and I've wasted more money.

I don't believe they will work. All mine ever does blink Red, don't ever turn green like it should.

Phillip M Jones, CET
pjonescet@comcast.net
http://www.phillipmjones.net/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/pjonescet/
http://www.phillipjones-cet.net

colbyseider Registered since 06th May 2014Sat 10-May-14 01:48 PM
#7. "RE: New D5300 No GPS Response"
In response to Reply # 6

US

Well, all I wanted to do is see if it worked at all, and yesterday I was successful.

As mentioned by others, it does take some patience. I took my camera outside at lunch and while eating my sandwich at a picnic table near my office, I turned on Location Data. It took about 5 minutes before I got bars. And of the three or four pictures I took, only one had location data saved.

Since this was the final function for me to check out, I'm satisfied that the new camera is working properly.

However, I wonder if the signal problem is due to the location of the camera's receiving antenna. I do understand the GPS not working indoors, but it doesn't make a lot of sense when our cell phones and tablets still get GPS data even when WiFi is turned off.

As for the problem with the external GPS device, I wonder if you got a defective unit. But since you're outside the warranty/exchange window I can understand you writing it off.

So, thanks for all your posts!

Marshall

ctrclckws Gold Member Nikonian since 25th Jul 2013Sat 10-May-14 02:18 PM
83 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: New D5300 No GPS Response"
In response to Reply # 7

Jersey City, US

Gps can be odd when it comes to cameras. I have a p520 that gets a fix really quick, and a sony a65, that takes "forever" 30 minutes plus. I've also tried the Gp -1 unit with a reasonable level of success. It is nice sometimes to know where you are when taking a shot.

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Sat 10-May-14 03:58 PM
#9. "RE: New D5300 No GPS Response"
In response to Reply # 7

Hatboro, Pa, US

>However, I wonder if the signal problem is due to the location
>of the camera's receiving antenna. I do understand the GPS
>not working indoors, but it doesn't make a lot of sense when
>our cell phones and tablets still get GPS data even when WiFi
>is turned off.
>

This might be significant in the D5300. While I was testing yesterday I reached a point where the GPS would lock when I faced North and as soon as I turned to the South I lost lock and then gained lock as soon as I turned North again.

Len

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Sat 10-May-14 05:07 PM
#10. "RE: New D5300 No GPS Response"
In response to Reply # 9
Sat 10-May-14 06:10 PM by Leonard62

Hatboro, Pa, US

Wow! A new day and much better results. First I turned the Standby Timer to OFF in the GPS options menu. I established lock in less than 2 minutes. I roamed all over my back yard, under my covered patio and inside my shed. I even took two photos inside my house, the 1st floor of a two story Colonial. I never lost lock the whole time and the 15 photos I took all had location data. I turned my camera off to look at the photos and then turned it back on after putting the SD card back in and left it on while sitting on the counter in my Kitchen. Satellite lock was established in only two minutes while sitting there. It started at 2 bars and after another minute went to 3 bars. Now I'm impressed.

I don't know if it was the cause but I'm keeping the standby timer OFF from now on.

edit: I was also able to maintain lock in my basement and with 3 bars. And take this photo which has location data.

Len

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)

CPR Registered since 02nd May 2014Sat 10-May-14 08:44 PM
54 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: New D5300 No GPS Response"
In response to Reply # 10

Crystal River, US

Leonard you've found the key to accurate and quick GPS data. Unfortunately you'll need to buy a lot of extra batteries as with the Standby Timer off the GPS keeps running ALL THE TIME even with camera turned off. I've not done this myself but a couple of reviewers have made this statement. GPS and WiFi both on and they say you can almost watch the batteries run down.....
GPS can get longitude and latitude with 2 sats but takes 3 to get the elevation so it can have 2 (lon. and lat. fixed) and still be blinking for the 3rd.

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Sat 10-May-14 09:52 PM
#12. "RE: New D5300 No GPS Response"
In response to Reply # 11
Sat 10-May-14 09:55 PM by Leonard62

Hatboro, Pa, US

Actually my plan was to turn GPS off when I'm not using the camera. My D5300 usage is only about 10% of my photos. But I started with a fresh battery so I'll leave it on just to see how long the battery lasts.

By the way I timed how long it took to lock on while the camera was in the house. It took only 41 seconds and came up with 3 bars.

Len

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Sun 11-May-14 02:31 PM
#13. "RE: New D5300 No GPS Response"
In response to Reply # 12
Sun 11-May-14 02:36 PM by Leonard62

Hatboro, Pa, US

Another thing that can improve the time it takes to lock on the satellite is to "Update A-GPS data" in the Location data/GPS options menu.

You can download the latest A-GPS data here.

http://nikonimglib.com/agps2/index.html.en

Also follow the directions carefully. When adding the data to your SD card you will need to create a "Nikon" directory in the root directory on your SD card for the data.

After adding the new data I was able to get satellite lock in 26 seconds inside the house and 11 seconds outside.

Len

PBlais Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Jan 2014Sun 11-May-14 11:30 PM
443 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: New D5300 No GPS Response"
In response to Reply # 13

Hayes, US

This loads the GPS ephemeris data. It's why you need to relaod it weekly or abouts. Basically, Where the satellites are for a period of time as defined but the data set. It is used as a hint to where the signals are. Turning on any GPS you normally have to download all this data. Once the data is downloaded then GPS positions can begin to be computed. Using the files from Nikon speeds this up a lot because the GPS in the camera won't have to get the data from the sky. It has to have that data before it can use the actual signals. Some GPS units let you say about where you are to help as well but from nothing 15 minutes is not a long long time and can be a half hour worst case.

You may have several satellites at any given time but they can be weak signals or they may be colinear. While you only need 2 good ones for lat / long you usually need more to get a decent position like 3 or 4. Elevation isn't usually that accurate. On the boat I know it's sea level and it isn't consistent and that is a GPS way better than the Nikon on the open water.

GPS is direct line of sight so it's not a radio wave. If it gets bounced it will be off and often by a lot.

pjonesCET Gold Member Nikonian since 11th Jul 2011Mon 12-May-14 08:17 PM
573 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#15. "RE: New D5300 No GPS Response"
In response to Reply # 6

Martinsville, US

Update: I have two d3200's one I got at sears and the LCD screen blew up/quit working. I sent it in to be repaired it was gone so long I thought it was lost, so I bought another from Crutchfield's. Well I was taking some pictures this morning with the newest version. The GPS attachment worked and acquired signal almost instantly.

Phillip M Jones, CET
pjonescet@comcast.net
http://www.phillipmjones.net/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/pjonescet/
http://www.phillipjones-cet.net

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #9657 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.