nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #9633
View in linear mode

Subject: "D5300 -WiFi in SSI mode" Previous topic | Next topic
CPR Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd May 2014Fri 02-May-14 08:28 PM
83 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D5300 -WiFi in SSI mode"

Crystal River, US

The camera WiFi appears on my Dell Laptop but I can't seem to find any software for the laptop that will connect to the D5300's WiFi.
Anybody know of anything or has done this connection???
I really don't want to have to buy an iPad or IPhone or whatever just to connect to the D5300.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D5300 -WiFi in SSI mode
PBlais Silver Member
03rd May 2014
CPR Silver Member
03rd May 2014
PBlais Silver Member
04th May 2014
CPR Silver Member
14th May 2014
PBlais Silver Member
14th May 2014
CPR Silver Member
14th May 2014
pjonesCET Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
15th May 2014
colbyseider
15th May 2014
pjonesCET Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
17th May 2014
CPR Silver Member
15th May 2014
17th May 2014

PBlais Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Jan 2014Sat 03-May-14 12:48 AM
957 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D5300 -WiFi in SSI mode"
In response to Reply # 0

Hayes, US

None that I know of. It's an iOS or Android application. An iPod works too. It can set focus and take a picture and download a jpg file. That's really all it can do. I have it on my iPOD 5th gen and Samsung Tablet. The app transfers images to the camera roll. From there you are on your own. It's not highly exciting.

There are tethering apps using the USB that can download RAW or jpg files as well as totally control the camera and the HDMI will output video.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

CPR Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd May 2014Sat 03-May-14 11:27 PM
83 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D5300 -WiFi in SSI mode"
In response to Reply # 1

Crystal River, US

I wonder about Nikon's "Camera Control Pro"
It's supposed to work with WiFi equipped cameras. The app for the android may be limited by Nikon on purpose so they don't zap their 180$ software.???

PBlais Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Jan 2014Sun 04-May-14 01:18 PM
957 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D5300 -WiFi in SSI mode"
In response to Reply # 2
Sun 04-May-14 01:23 PM by PBlais

Hayes, US

It's for tethered USB shooting as is Lightroom. The D5xxx and D3xxx cameras are not supported under Camera Control Pro 2 and it's hopelessly out of date too. ControlMyNikon.com has more features and is 1/4th the price supports more NIkon cameras. D3xxx cameras really can't do much of anything tethered. It does almost everything possible over USB 2.0 - except send images to Facebook and is Windows only. It does not have D5300 or D610 support yet. Third party support is tied to Nikon releasing updates to the developer SDK support software. You can't write software to a Nikon camera without the SDK kit. I know Russ will add D5300 and D610 support ASAP as he has added more Nikons with each new update. He does have D4 and all the other full frames cameras as well as D7xxx, D5000, and D52000 crop sensor cameras supported.

It's hard to say what will happen with the wiFi connection. I have the dongle with my D5200 and the dongle has been out a while. As it creeps into the the Point and Shoot cameras, Nikon will need to offer something more or at least third party apps may spring up. WiFi in cameras is becoming a standard feature though I can't see how it is much good for much. I think it sells cameras so Nikon is happier than we are.

It's not like Nikon will abandon "Commander" mode and go to wifi controlled off camera flash. WiFi isn't considered a pro feature yet and it's not that it couldn't be. Technology going bottom up is not a normal trend. Now that WiFi on a single chip is possible it could be in everything.

CPR Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd May 2014Wed 14-May-14 01:02 AM
#4. "RE: D5300 -WiFi in SSI mode"
In response to Reply # 3

Crystal River, US

Quick update.
The ControlMyNikon rep says the D5300 will definitely be in the next release out in late spring of 2014 (what ever that means).
denny

PBlais Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Jan 2014Wed 14-May-14 01:28 PM
#5. "RE: D5300 -WiFi in SSI mode"
In response to Reply # 4

Hayes, US

It means they are waiting for the SDK update from Nikon. Russ is a really nice guy and shoots Nikon cameras. It's worth watching his videos to see what it does. I have it on my laptop.

CPR Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd May 2014Wed 14-May-14 02:29 PM
#6. "RE: D5300 -WiFi in SSI mode"
In response to Reply # 5

Crystal River, US

If I understand the D5300's WiFi system it cannot connect to a laptop via it's WiFi so has to be tethered the old fashion way with a wire.

I wonder if Russ or anyone has looked at a way around that limit? I don't know if that's a hardware or software limit.

If the D5300 could be controlled by ControlMyNikon wirelessly that would be even better.

pjonesCET Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 11th Jul 2011Thu 15-May-14 05:54 AM
615 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#7. "RE: D5300 -WiFi in SSI mode"
In response to Reply # 6
Thu 15-May-14 05:55 AM by pjonesCET

Martinsville, US

I have the Wifi Module for my Nikon and when its Plugged in, my laptop has wifi built in it will automatically see the Wifi just switch to and you can Print or download pictures.
I have a MacBook Pro. I am rather surprised that Widows machine can do it.

And if your Tablet is capable of Streaming it should be able to automatically add photo's to Your Photo App on you PC, Tablet or Phone.

Mine shows up: Nikon_WU_220185* (* indicates a number should be here) Just switch to it go to Photo streaming or what ever it called on Windows.

Phillip M Jones, CET
pjonescet@comcast.net
http://www.phillipmjones.net/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/pjonescet/
http://www.phillipjones-cet.net

colbyseider Registered since 06th May 2014Thu 15-May-14 02:49 PM
9 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: D5300 -WiFi in SSI mode"
In response to Reply # 7

US

Phil, it appears that the SSID, Nikon_WU_xxxxxx (for example), can be changed. Is this recommended? Or I guess more to the point, for connection to IOS or Android (and eventually Windows), what are the recommended WiFi settings on the D5300?

Thanks,

Marshall

pjonesCET Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 11th Jul 2011Sat 17-May-14 12:43 AM
615 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#10. "RE: D5300 -WiFi in SSI mode"
In response to Reply # 8

Martinsville, US

I don't recommend changing the name the number is the electronic Serial number to the device (reason why I didn't supply last number

On Nikon Website is a Piece of software that does work with IOS and other systems. Called "Nikon WMU" that allow you to take Photos using your Phone or Tablet. And also view Photos that are on the Camera. I haven't checked to see if there is a computer version

Doing a Google search I came up with this information:
https://www.google.com/search?q=Nikon+WMU+Software&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:unofficial&client=seamonkey-a

Phillip M Jones, CET
pjonescet@comcast.net

CPR Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd May 2014Thu 15-May-14 03:28 PM
#9. "RE: D5300 -WiFi in SSI mode"
In response to Reply # 7

Crystal River, US

Think I'm dealing with Windows difficulties in setting up network connections. I can see the cameras WiFi coming on the air and connect to it BUT no software or app in the pc will access the camera or even acknowledge that it's there.
MAC has always been the best with networks - I recall having a team in WV to do Business Process Engineering for Ma Bell and it took 20 minutes to set up the entire 8 station network with MACS.
Oh well, I have wires for now........

pjonesCET Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 11th Jul 2011Sat 17-May-14 01:15 AM
#11. "RE: D5300 -WiFi in SSI mode"
In response to Reply # 9
Sat 17-May-14 01:16 AM by pjonesCET

Martinsville, US

That's something I can't help with windows machines.
They always Made setting up networks and Wifi far more complex than they need to be. On Mac You just go to System Preferences and do as in this movie. When you click detect, the camera should show up on networks. see: http://goo.gl/chbVVa

Phillip M Jones, CET
pjonescet@comcast.net

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #9633 Previous topic | Next topic