nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #9615
View in linear mode

Subject: "US vs Gray market D5300 - warranty question" Previous topic | Next topic
niko phil Silver Member Nikonian since 13th Mar 2008Sat 26-Apr-14 10:39 PM
159 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"US vs Gray market D5300 - warranty question"

Maine, US

I was browsing on eBay for a new US model D5300 (body only). One seller I queried said something I had never heard. He stated that the item for sale was a US model new in unopened box. He cautioned however that Nikon wouldn't warrantee it since he, as the seller, was not an authorized dealer.

Anyone encountered this before? What does one do if you received it as a gift - no warranty from NikonUSA?

Regards,
- - Phil
D300s, 10-20mm HSM Sigma, 16-85mmVR, 18-200mmVR
F4s, 20mm f/4, 50mm f/1.8D, 24-85mm f/2.8-4.0D, 70-200mmVR f/2.8. 80-400mmVR f/4.5-5.6D

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: US vs Gray market D5300 - warranty question
agitater Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
26th Apr 2014
Bill Kennedy Gold Member
26th Apr 2014
OldCodger
27th Apr 2014
Indigo586
27th Apr 2014
niko phil Silver Member
27th Apr 2014

agitater Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 18th Jan 2007Sat 26-Apr-14 11:09 PM
4209 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: US vs Gray market D5300 - warranty question"
In response to Reply # 0

Toronto, CA

I think it might be best to not take the advice of a stranger on eBay or, for that matter, the non-authoritative advice on warrantability from Nikonians members. Ask Nikon directly, if necessary, after reading the Nikon USA warranty online.

Go here:

https://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/333

and go here:

https://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9677/kw/digital%20imaging%20warranty/related/1

or just go to the Nikon USA web site and do a search for Nikon Digital Imaging Warranty. If the search doesn't provide the all the answers, get the product serial number from the seller, then phone Nikon and ask if the product is covered.

Aside from all of the above, if an eBay seller is offering a brand new Nikon body (so he says), that is also a model intended for the US region (so he says), but that is not warrantable by Nikon, stay away. There is no saving off typical, current retail prices that the seller can possibly offer that would offset the cost of having the camera repaired by a non-Nikon repair center in the event something goes wrong.

My Photo.Net Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson

Bill Kennedy Gold Member Nikonian since 17th Jan 2013Sat 26-Apr-14 11:43 PM
732 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: US vs Gray market D5300 - warranty question"
In response to Reply # 0

Christiansburg, US

If you want to go through Hell, try and get Nikon to service a gray market product. Will not happen!

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

OldCodger Registered since 15th Oct 2011Sun 27-Apr-14 11:40 AM
617 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: US vs Gray market D5300 - warranty question"
In response to Reply # 2

Sawbridgeworth Hertfordshire, UK

I read this thread over several times trying to get a grip on the story.
Now call me limited or missing in some way but what you appear to be offered is a second hand camera with no warranty, that may or may not even be serviceable in your country. The seller is being a little bit honest in saying that there is no warranty; pardon me while I now put on my ear muffs to cut out the sound of warning bells.
I can only suggest that you start running really, really fast as far away from the non-deal of a lifetime.

Indigo586 Registered since 25th Jan 2013Sun 27-Apr-14 08:42 PM
526 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: US vs Gray market D5300 - warranty question"
In response to Reply # 3

US

Nikon will service US imported cameras but the warranty is only for the original owner and is not transferable. So if the seller bought the camera and turn around sell it to you, you do not have the warranty but if it's a US version then Nikon will service it with a fee. If it's gray market Nikon won't service it at all.

niko phil Silver Member Nikonian since 13th Mar 2008Sun 27-Apr-14 11:13 PM
159 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: US vs Gray market D5300 - warranty question"
In response to Reply # 4

Maine, US

>Nikon will service US imported cameras but the warranty is
>only for the original owner and is not transferable. So if the
>seller bought the camera and turn around sell it to you, you
>do not have the warranty but if it's a US version then Nikon
>will service it with a fee. If it's gray market Nikon won't
>service it at all.

Sounds like this is the best characterization of the situation. I think I'm in the situation of a gift recipient who has a US model but has all the warranty forms for a new camera but lacks the requisite papers of the original purchaser. Probably best to pass it up though I've never needed to use the warranty on any Nikon I've ever bought.

Thanks to each of you who shared your assessment.

- - Phil
D300s, 10-20mm HSM Sigma, 16-85mmVR, 18-200mmVR
F4s, 20mm f/4, 50mm f/1.8D, 24-85mm f/2.8-4.0D, 70-200mmVR f/2.8. 80-400mmVR f/4.5-5.6D

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #9615 Previous topic | Next topic