nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #9587
View in linear mode

Subject: "D5300 video jumps and skips entire time" Previous topic | Next topic
flamingosunrise Registered since 15th Apr 2014Sun 20-Apr-14 09:38 PM
7 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D5300 video jumps and skips entire time"

US

Why when you play videos you've recorded on the D5300 does it skip/jerk/jump through the entire video making it impossible to watch? I've had this issue with multiple cameras from varying makers and would like to finally know WHY it happens and if I can get around it?? Any tips help out

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D5300 video jumps and skips entire time
JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit.
20th Apr 2014
flamingosunrise
20th Apr 2014
PBlais Silver Member
20th Apr 2014
flamingosunrise
20th Apr 2014
flamingosunrise
20th Apr 2014
Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Writer Ribbon awarded for his contributions to the Nikonians Resources articles library
21st Apr 2014
pjonesCET Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
03rd May 2014
PBlais Silver Member
21st Apr 2014
sl01
22nd Apr 2014
Beatkat Silver Member
28th Apr 2014
Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Writer Ribbon awarded for his contributions to the Nikonians Resources articles library
28th Apr 2014
Ray Gerke
01st May 2014
sl01
03rd May 2014
03rd May 2014
sl01
05th May 2014
05th May 2014
pjonesCET Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
06th May 2014

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Sun 20-Apr-14 10:00 PM
4893 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D5300 video jumps and skips entire time"
In response to Reply # 0

Seattle, WA, US

Many video players have an option to drop frames so that the visual keeps up with the audio. This may or may not have an effect in your case. Can you point us to an example?

---------+---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D700, D200, D70S, 24-70mm f/2.8, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II, TC20e3,
50mm f/1.4 D, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX

flamingosunrise Registered since 15th Apr 2014Sun 20-Apr-14 10:12 PM
7 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D5300 video jumps and skips entire time"
In response to Reply # 1

US

@Josephk Have you never had this happen? I don't have a video uploaded yo show you. I should verify that the video plays back smooth on camera but once taken off and played on any program on a pc it skips the whole time.

PBlais Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Jan 2014Sun 20-Apr-14 10:07 PM
951 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D5300 video jumps and skips entire time"
In response to Reply # 0

Hayes, US

Depending on the size and frame rate you shot in it may not be possible to play it back that fast on the camera. The camera drops frames when it overloads, but it's not as smart as a video playback application on your computer. It's different playing back than recording. The speed of your card may also effect the speed you can play back too.

If it plays back fine on the computer then you'll know for sure.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

flamingosunrise Registered since 15th Apr 2014Sun 20-Apr-14 10:13 PM
#4. "RE: D5300 video jumps and skips entire time"
In response to Reply # 2
Sun 20-Apr-14 10:16 PM by flamingosunrise

US

@pblais Skips when played on my computer, not on the camera. Plays like butter on camera and like a train wreck on computers.

flamingosunrise Registered since 15th Apr 2014Sun 20-Apr-14 11:38 PM
#5. "RE: D5300 video jumps and skips entire time"
In response to Reply # 4

US

I think I've figured it out! I was using HD at 60p which I assumed was better based on the bigger number...upon doing my research I switched it to 24p and it seems to be playing normally now on the computer.

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Writer Ribbon awarded for his contributions to the Nikonians Resources articles library Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Mon 21-Apr-14 03:31 PM
3420 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: D5300 video jumps and skips entire time"
In response to Reply # 5

Hatboro, Pa, US

This can also be computer dependent as well.

I have 3 Apple computers. I ran the same 1080P/60P movie from my D5300 on all 3 computers.

1st a PowerMac with Motorola G5 2.3G dual core processor and 4G of ram, 256 MB video card. The movie jumps and skips badly. Computer is 9 years old.

2nd. 15" Macbook Pro with 2.4 G Intel dual core i5 processor, 4 G ram, 288 MB Intel video. The movie has a very slight skip only noticeable on a fast moving object like a car. Computer is 2 years old.

3rd. Latest 27" iMac with Intel 4 core 3.2G i5, 16G ram, 1 TB Fusion drive, 1024 MB video card. The movie is very smooth with no skips. Computer is 4 months old.

Len

pjonesCET Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 11th Jul 2011Sat 03-May-14 10:56 PM
615 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#13. "RE: D5300 video jumps and skips entire time"
In response to Reply # 6

Martinsville, US

Unless your second machine has wired in RAM you have about the same playback as you newest if you had 8GB Ram

Should never get a computer with 4GB RAM. Between the the system which gets Larger and larger year by year. 4 GB is weak. An Minimum of 8GB. I have 8GB on my MacBook Pro bought Feb - 2011 and some thing are slow

Phillip M Jones, CET
pjonescet@comcast.net
http://www.phillipmjones.net/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/pjonescet/
http://www.phillipjones-cet.net

PBlais Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Jan 2014Mon 21-Apr-14 08:00 PM
951 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: D5300 video jumps and skips entire time"
In response to Reply # 5

Hayes, US

It can be better if you have the horsepower. You are playing pretty big stuff out of the camera. It works the best if you use the 60p to make slow motion segments. Then it really looks smooth. Slowing down 24p won't look as nice even if it works too.

sl01 Registered since 07th Jan 2014Tue 22-Apr-14 07:51 AM
87 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: D5300 video jumps and skips entire time"
In response to Reply # 0

PL

>I've had this issue with multiple cameras from
>varying makers

Hi Cassi
Looks like your computer/software is not working properly. It's not neccesearily a hardware problem. This may be a video player issue or a driver problem. I don't know what computer you use. But for example Microsoft Windows Media player has sometimes problems with performance. And it wouldn't even try to play a number of video formats even if you have drivers installed! I thought I can't play 'mov' videos from my old Coolpix, neither '3gp' from cellphones... Until I downloaded another software player (SMPlayer in my case). Now I can play smoothly almost ANY video file I can find.
So - firs try another software video player.
Regards
S.

Beatkat Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Dec 2007Mon 28-Apr-14 04:30 AM
239 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: D5300 video jumps and skips entire time"
In response to Reply # 8
Mon 28-Apr-14 04:33 AM by Beatkat

Oxford, US

I agree with S...it's likely your video player.Even a 9 year old Dual Core Mac with 4GB ram and NO video card should be able to play video fine I believe ....providing the Player (Quicktime for .mov format) is up to date (latest version).Windows users should download the K Lite Codec pack to update Windows Media Player, or download VLC Media player, a well regarded and free player.

http://www.filehippo.com/download_vlc_32

http://www.filehippo.com/download_klite_codec_pack/

Connecticut Nikonian
D5100
Nikkor 50mm 1.8
18-55DX
55-200VR
other asst. glass

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Writer Ribbon awarded for his contributions to the Nikonians Resources articles library Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Mon 28-Apr-14 03:00 PM
3420 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: D5300 video jumps and skips entire time"
In response to Reply # 9

Hatboro, Pa, US

>I agree with S...it's likely your video player.Even a 9 year
>old Dual Core Mac with 4GB ram and NO video card should be
>able to play video fine I believe ....providing the Player
>(Quicktime for .mov format) is up to date (latest
>version).Windows users should download the K Lite Codec pack
>to update Windows Media Player, or download VLC Media player,
>a well regarded and free player.
>

It won't. Read my reply above.

Len

Ray Gerke Registered since 12th Sep 2004Thu 01-May-14 11:52 PM
633 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: D5300 video jumps and skips entire time"
In response to Reply # 10

winnipeg, CA

I agree with Len. all sorts of hardware factors come in to play when playing a video on a computer.
not all videos are created equally! the format of the video is also an important factor. (but up to date software is also very important).
Over the years with many computers if find the processor speed and number of cores has a big impact on videos replay. also speed of RAM and speed of hard disk all come in to play with long videos. short videos should not be a problem for anything (eg a 15 second video should be able to play on almost anything) but now we are able to easily make 20 minute videos some of this is pretty hard on old hardware i7 CPUs handles big videos a lot easier that an i5 CPU (I have both)
By the way you are not damaging the video by playing it when it is erratic and blocky. it will play fine on a more powerful machine.

Ray Gerke

D800, D5300, D2HS, D700 (sold), D7000(sold), CP520, CP510
Nikkor 24mm f/1.4, Nikkor 50mm f/1.4, Nikkor 58mm f/1.4, Nikkor 85mm f/1.4, Nikkor 14-24 F/2.8, Nikkor 80-200 f/2.8, Nikkor 24-120VR, Nikkor Micro 60mm f/2.8, Nikkor Micro 105mm f/2.8VR, Nikkor 10.5 DX
Sigma 30mm f/1.4, Sigma 150-500mm OS

My mapped photos from around the world

sl01 Registered since 07th Jan 2014Sat 03-May-14 02:07 PM
87 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: D5300 video jumps and skips entire time"
In response to Reply # 11
Sat 03-May-14 02:09 PM by sl01

PL

I use Core 2 Duo with inexpensive nvidia geforce and 2GB RAM for the player. A 6 years old machine. D5100 video plays well. The player uses about 35-45% CPU power for fullscreen playback.
I also tried almost 3 years old Core i3 laptop - no problem.
Regards

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Writer Ribbon awarded for his contributions to the Nikonians Resources articles library Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Sat 03-May-14 11:52 PM
#14. "RE: D5300 video jumps and skips entire time"
In response to Reply # 12

Hatboro, Pa, US

>I use Core 2 Duo with inexpensive nvidia geforce and 2GB RAM
>for the player. A 6 years old machine. D5100 video plays well.
>The player uses about 35-45% CPU power for fullscreen
>playback.
>I also tried almost 3 years old Core i3 laptop - no problem.
>Regards

I'd be surprised if you could run a 60P video on that machine. What were you running?

Len

sl01 Registered since 07th Jan 2014Mon 05-May-14 08:48 AM
#15. "RE: D5300 video jumps and skips entire time"
In response to Reply # 14
Mon 05-May-14 08:49 AM by sl01

PL

Well, Len, no surprise here. While my computer can play full hd 25p and 30p videos, it can't play 60p.

Though, it still looks to mee it's not a hardware limitation, rather a player/driver/operating system issue.
I've tried 3 players: SMPlayer, Media Player Classic and View NX2 (Windows Media Player refuses to play MOV files at all).
View NX2 plays only about 1 second or 2 and stops playing video, continuing audio.
The two others have problems mainly with audio (skips, loops, silence). Both have minor problems with video. SMPlayer skips slightly from time to time (1-5 seconds). Media Player Classic shows motion almost perfectly - maybe one skip for 15 seconds, you probably wouldn't notice if you wouldn't have looked for it.

Why I think that it's a software issue? System reports that SMPlayer consumes about 35-50% CPU when playing 60p file. For Media Player Classic (which plays smoother) it's only 5% (FIVE!), and total system CPU load about 5-15%, including internet software, antivirus and of course Media Player Classic playing the video. Almost idle, HDD, fans work slowly. Doesn't seem overloaded at all...

For now, I'm not going to fight it, because my videos are 25p. I've just checked it because of curiosity.
Regards
S.

P.S. As I haven't D5300, I've used samples from:
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikon-d5300/11
http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/nikon-d5300/nikon-d5300A.HTM

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Writer Ribbon awarded for his contributions to the Nikonians Resources articles library Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Mon 05-May-14 01:29 PM
#16. "RE: D5300 video jumps and skips entire time"
In response to Reply # 15

Hatboro, Pa, US

>For now, I'm not going to fight it, because my videos are 25p.
>I've just checked it because of curiosity.
>Regards
>S.
>
>P.S. As I haven't D5300, I've used samples from:
>http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikon-d5300/11
>http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/nikon-d5300/nikon-d5300A.HTM
>

I checked it because of curiosity as well. I very rarely will shoot a video but I'm curious as to how my computers perform. I haven't used a Windows computer in 10 years. My latest iMac is only a few months old and it handles 60P with no problem. It's a 3.2 GHZ i5 with 16 GB of ram and 1 GB of video ram. It also has a fast fusion drive.

Len

pjonesCET Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 11th Jul 2011Tue 06-May-14 05:34 PM
615 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#17. "RE: D5300 video jumps and skips entire time"
In response to Reply # 16

Martinsville, US

That ought to play anything.

Phillip M Jones, CET
pjonescet@comcast.net
http://www.phillipmjones.net/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/pjonescet/
http://www.phillipjones-cet.net

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #9587 Previous topic | Next topic