Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #9575
View in linear mode

Subject: "eyepiece removal" Previous topic | Next topic
scouserhunter Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Apr 2014Fri 18-Apr-14 10:30 AM
19 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"eyepiece removal"

AU

hi everyone.

ive recently bought a -2 diopter eyepiece for my d5200 but i cant find any instructions online or in the manual regarding the removal and replacement of the eyepiece.

under the rubber eyecap i can see some screws but im not sure if i need to remove these or not.

im still new to photography and dont want to risk damaging my camera if i start taking it apart.

any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

ctrclckws Gold Member Nikonian since 25th Jul 2013Fri 18-Apr-14 11:08 AM
80 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: eyepiece removal"
In response to Reply # 0

Jersey City, US

If it's the Nikon part, the rubber eyecup slides up, and the diopter slides on.

I have tried to slide the eyecup onto the diopter part, and for me at least, it doesn't seem to fit.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

PBlais Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Jan 2014Fri 18-Apr-14 12:09 PM
365 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: eyepiece removal"
In response to Reply # 1

Hayes, US

The diopter already on the camera does not remove. The additional diopter adds a fixed amount of correction and you use the original to adjust it. It should look like the rubber cover and slide on. It slides over the the eyepiece then you replace the rubber shield over it and adjust using the diopter wheel. Simply put it like eye glasses for the view finder.

Nikon makes several versions and you need the right one to have it install. You don't have to unscrew anything. Check the Nikon web site for the exact part number.

pjonesCET Gold Member Nikonian since 11th Jul 2011Fri 18-Apr-14 08:01 PM
562 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#3. "RE: eyepiece removal"
In response to Reply # 2

Martinsville, US

I've bought such for my 3200 and found that you can't use the rubber eye piece, once you put the additional diopter on Yes the Diopter is a Nikon part. I just resigned to using the red dot that shows up when locked on target.

Phillip M Jones, CET
pjonescet@comcast.net
http://www.phillipmjones.net/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/pjonescet/
http://www.phillipjones-cet.net

scouserhunter Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Apr 2014Sat 19-Apr-14 10:16 AM
19 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: eyepiece removal"
In response to Reply # 3

AU

i tried sliding it over the original eyepiece but it was a bit snug so i didnt want to force it but ill have another look at it

yep its a nikon part and you cant place the rubber cap on after the extra diopter is on

thanks for the help guys

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #9575 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.