Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #9537
View in linear mode

Subject: "Assistance requested - Nikon D5100 "Autoexposure Error"" Previous topic | Next topic
SteveRosenow Registered since 14th Apr 2014Mon 14-Apr-14 07:29 AM
6 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Assistance requested - Nikon D5100 "Autoexposure Error""

US

I have scoured the web for hints and I feel as if I've tried them all, so a friend suggested I post here.

I own a Nikon D5100. I have had it since January 29, 2012 and it has been my sole DSLR and my only breadwinner for my fledgling photography business.

Not long after I purchased it, I began using it for astrophotography, which requires a T-mount adapter ring and tube to hook up to a telescope's visual back or rear cell.

All was fine until this afternoon. The night before, I had spent about five hours outside doing planetary imaging, gathering over 9gb of imaging data on Jupiter, Mars, and Saturn.

This afternoon, I noticed a woodpecker on a tree over in the next lot. My 18-55 zoom lens didn't give me the reach so I went for the next best thing - a 500mm Schmidt-Cassegrain mirror lens.

After I began firing off the first couple frames, I noticed an error at the top of the screen that read "Autoexposure Error". At first, I thought it was an anomaly. I've never had that error pop up before, and I certainly never had it show up the night before.

After taking the photos of the woodpecker (which didn't turn out), I swapped over the mirror lens for the 18-55 to see if the error showed up with that lens - sure enough it did.

So now, I have an error that has popped up that reads:

"Autoexposure error: Please contact an Authorized Nikon service representative". It has also disabled any operating mode aside from Manual. I cannot operate Auto, nor A, S, P, or "SCENE" or "EFFECTS"

I cannot get rid of this error. I have done the following:

1.) A Two-button reset as recommended by Nikon's website.

and

2.) A complete flash of the firmware to the latest version.

I cannot technically afford a new camera at the moment, much less a replacement D5100 as I am not earning sufficient revenue. I also have a tentative photoshoot scheduled for the end of the month at a tulip farm in Skagit Co. Washington.

Any assistance is welcomed, advice, too.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Assistance requested - Nikon D5100 "Autoexposure Er...
Floyd Davidson Gold Member
14th Apr 2014
SteveRosenow
14th Apr 2014
Ineluki Gold Member
14th Apr 2014
MEMcD Moderator
14th Apr 2014
aolander Silver Member
14th Apr 2014
SteveRosenow
14th Apr 2014
MEMcD Moderator
14th Apr 2014
SteveRosenow
15th Apr 2014
MEMcD Moderator
15th Apr 2014
CorVette98 Gold Member
14th Apr 2014
Kilted_F3_nut Moderator
15th Apr 2014
coolmom42 Silver Member
15th Apr 2014
PBlais Silver Member
20th Apr 2014
Leonard62 Gold Member
21st Apr 2014
Patrick28 Silver Member
22nd Apr 2014
Patrick28 Silver Member
22nd Apr 2014
CPR
03rd May 2014
SteveRosenow
05th May 2014
Covey22 Moderator
05th May 2014
SteveRosenow
06th May 2014

Floyd Davidson Gold Member Nikonian since 24th Jan 2014Mon 14-Apr-14 09:19 AM
169 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Assistance requested - Nikon D5100 "Autoexposure Error""
In response to Reply # 0
Mon 14-Apr-14 09:20 AM by Floyd Davidson

Barrow, Alaska, US

With a soft cloth or a paper towel, use isopropyl alcohol to clean the electrical contacts on the camera's lens mount.

If that doesn't work, contact a repair facility.

------------------

Homepage: http://apaflo.com Images of Barrow Alaska

SteveRosenow Registered since 14th Apr 2014Mon 14-Apr-14 10:11 AM
6 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Assistance requested - Nikon D5100 "Autoexposure Error""
In response to Reply # 1

US

What would be a cheaper alternative - repair or replacement?

Ineluki Gold Member Nikonian since 03rd Aug 2011Mon 14-Apr-14 12:02 PM
2917 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Assistance requested - Nikon D5100 "Autoexposure Error""
In response to Reply # 2

Nürnberg, DE

>What would be a cheaper alternative - repair or replacement?
>
It depends on your wallet. If it is filled buy a new camera

Egbert

www.allmondo.com

http://images.nikonians.org/galleries/showgallery.php/ppuser/401509/cat/500/

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Mon 14-Apr-14 03:15 PM
26057 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Assistance requested - Nikon D5100 "Autoexposure Error""
In response to Reply # 2

US

Hi Steven,

The only way to find out is to send the camera to Nikon Service or a Nikon Authorized Service Station for an estimate.
Once you receive the estimate, you will be able to make an informed decision. As a general rule, it is usually cheaper to repair a camera than replace it, though with the value of DSLR bodies dropping each time a new one is introduced, answering your question without knowing the repair cost would be a wild guess.

Best Regards,
Marty

aolander Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Sep 2006Mon 14-Apr-14 12:44 PM
3254 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Assistance requested - Nikon D5100 "Autoexposure Error""
In response to Reply # 0

Nevis, US

I wonder if your T-mount adapter has damaged the electrical contacts?

Alan

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

SteveRosenow Registered since 14th Apr 2014Mon 14-Apr-14 06:39 PM
#8. "RE: Assistance requested - Nikon D5100 "Autoexposure Error""
In response to Reply # 4

US

>I wonder if your T-mount adapter has damaged the electrical
>contacts?

I don't think so?

Visual inspection shows no damage.

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Mon 14-Apr-14 03:05 PM
26057 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Assistance requested - Nikon D5100 "Autoexposure Error""
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Steven,

Welcome to Nikonians!
Sorry to hear of your problem.
Aside from a slight chance of success by cleaning the electrical contacts on the lens and camera body, your options are limited to sending the camera to Nikon or a Nikon Authorized Service Station for an estimate.
Since the camera continues to work in Manual exposure mode, is the meter working?

Best Regards,
Marty

SteveRosenow Registered since 14th Apr 2014Tue 15-Apr-14 06:36 AM
#10. "RE: Assistance requested - Nikon D5100 "Autoexposure Error""
In response to Reply # 5

US

>Hi Steven,
>
>Welcome to Nikonians!
>Sorry to hear of your problem.
>Aside from a slight chance of success by cleaning the
>electrical contacts on the lens and camera body, your options
>are limited to sending the camera to Nikon or a Nikon
>Authorized Service Station for an estimate.
>Since the camera continues to work in Manual exposure mode, is
>the meter working?
>
>
>
>

No. I don't think it is, anyways.

It won't even do in-camera HDR anymore.

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Tue 15-Apr-14 11:46 AM
#11. "RE: Assistance requested - Nikon D5100 "Autoexposure Error""
In response to Reply # 10

US

Hi Steven,

Unfortunately in that case, your only options are to send the camera in for service or replace it.

Best Regards,
Marty

CorVette98 Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Mar 2013Mon 14-Apr-14 03:36 PM
40 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Assistance requested - Nikon D5100 "Autoexposure Error""
In response to Reply # 0

Mountain View, US

Purchasing a copy of Darrell Young's "Mastering the Nikon D5100 will provide you with all the pertinent information necessary ror understanding the operation of your camera. Also, participation in one of the offered Nikonian workshops will help with improving your proficiency.

Kilted_F3_nut Moderator Skilled and passionate film photogtrapher Nikonian since 29th Jun 2004Tue 15-Apr-14 12:34 AM
5169 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Assistance requested - Nikon D5100 "Autoexposure Error""
In response to Reply # 7

Duvall, US

He's pretty well-versed with how the camera operates. Has been using it regularly for over the past two years. So, I doubt he needs a guide to figure out how to use the camera.

-J

D200, F5, F4, F3P, F2ASx2, F, FM2n, Nikomat FT2x2

John Laughlin Photography - nature photographer

My Flickr account
My Facebook page

coolmom42 Silver Member Awarded for her enthusiastic support of the community and exemplifying the Nikonian mission “Share, Learn and Inspire” Nikonian since 30th Nov 2011Tue 15-Apr-14 11:59 AM
3034 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Assistance requested - Nikon D5100 "Autoexposure Error""
In response to Reply # 0

McEwen, US

Go to KEH.com for a good used replacement that won't break the bank. There is a D5100 body in excellent condition there for $325.

working on it in Middle TN
Nikon D3100

35 mm 1.8 Nikkor
18-55 mm Nikkor VR
55-200 mm Nikkor VR
55-300 mm Nikkor VR
150-500 mm Sigma OS
Feisol CT3471 & Markins M20 ballhead

PBlais Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Jan 2014Sun 20-Apr-14 09:30 PM
420 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Assistance requested - Nikon D5100 "Autoexposure Error""
In response to Reply # 12

Hayes, US

It's nice to know your options if the cost of repair is too high. If you need to make a living then you need a camera to do it. Make the best choice you can afford is always the best advice. I don't see that a simple fix someone here can offer will fix it but you sure can get advice for alternatives.

Use a real authorized repair center. Some are not Nikon and if there is one close it would be my choice. Make some phone calls.

If it's a serious repair you can decide to say goodbye and get a new / used camera or have it repaired. You sure don't want it going south in the middle of a shoot you want to get paid for. Blowing a shoot usually is impossible to collect. People get upset when you don't deliver and tell everybody they know. You always want a good reference.

If you dodge the bullet, a backup camera body should be in your future. Your glass and what you know always lives on! When the D7200 comes out, a used D7000 will take a huge price drop. An opportunity to step up is always worth consideration. A working D5100 backup you know at your back would make sleeping easier.

I shoot a D5200 and those now are a deal new now. D3100's even more! Losing auto ISO is worth it alone. I didn't realize the D5100 can't disable auto ISO. I stepped up from a D3100. Make it work, knowing as much as you can so you can shoot another day.

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Mon 21-Apr-14 03:00 PM
3090 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: Assistance requested - Nikon D5100 "Autoexposure Error""
In response to Reply # 13

Hatboro, Pa, US

>I shoot a D5200 and those now are a deal new now. D3100's even
>more! Losing auto ISO is worth it alone. I didn't realize the
>D5100 can't disable auto ISO. I stepped up from a D3100. Make
>it work, knowing as much as you can so you can shoot another
>day.

I don't know of any of Nikon's older or current dslr's that can't disable Auto-ISO. Of course in the Auto mode auto ISO can't be disabled. In the M, A, S, P modes you can choose any ISO you want including Auto-ISO.

Len

Patrick28 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Apr 2010Tue 22-Apr-14 01:54 PM
86 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: Assistance requested - Nikon D5100 "Autoexposure Error""
In response to Reply # 13

Port Jervis, US

If you must go to a replacement camera, may I suggest a D5300? Except for the fact that it does not include flash CLS, it is very close to the D7100. You are already a master of the beast, having had the D5100 for two years so there will be no learning curve involved.
Do check the reviews. I think you'll be surprised. DxO (?) reports it boasts a -32db noise figure at 1210 ISO. From my previous work in audio, I'd say that is imperceptible.
Good luck!

Patrick28 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Apr 2010Tue 22-Apr-14 03:15 PM
86 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: Assistance requested - Nikon D5100 "Autoexposure Error""
In response to Reply # 0

Port Jervis, US

I just transferred several NEF RAW files to the iPad3 using the manual's instructions.
Do not leave the Wi-Fi on in camera as it used a lot of battery.

CPR Registered since 02nd May 2014Sat 03-May-14 10:36 PM
54 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: Assistance requested - Nikon D5100 "Autoexposure Error""
In response to Reply # 16

Crystal River, US

If you leave WiFi and GPS both on you can almost watch the batteries go down.......

SteveRosenow Registered since 14th Apr 2014Mon 05-May-14 10:17 AM
#18. "RE: Assistance requested - Nikon D5100 "Autoexposure Error""
In response to Reply # 17

US

I have decided for now to forego the option of sending it to Nikon. Several calls I placed to independent camera repair facilities told me it'd cost around $300 to have the entire camera repaired.

At this point, I don't have that sort of money laying around.

My only best option is to hold out and hope I get enough revenue from a few poster sales and sales of some custom Nikon USB interface cables I manufacture*, to allow me to replace it.

*Nikon, in their infinite wisdom, did not support BULB exposures over the OEM USB port on the D5100. As an astrophotographer who uses computer capture control software, it is essential for BULB exposures to be done.

A special cable I've created, using a custom modified MC-DC2 release cable coupled to a TTL-Serial USB output cord/dongle assembly, allows me to use my computer to control BULB exposure capability.

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberMon 05-May-14 03:42 PM
10643 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#19. "RE: Assistance requested - Nikon D5100 "Autoexposure Error""
In response to Reply # 18

US

That is a tough break. Would you consider getting a used D50 to keep things going? I saw one for less than 100 bucks on a reliable second-hand broker.

"Toodle-loo from Covey22!"

-Armando
Nikonians Team
Nikonians News - Fresh Everyday!

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.
Get closer to the subject.
Pick the right mid-tone this time.

See My Nikonians Gallery

SteveRosenow Registered since 14th Apr 2014Tue 06-May-14 02:44 PM
#20. "RE: Assistance requested - Nikon D5100 "Autoexposure Error""
In response to Reply # 19
Tue 06-May-14 02:49 PM by SteveRosenow

US

>That is a tough break. Would you consider getting a used D50
>to keep things going? I saw one for less than 100 bucks on a
>reliable second-hand broker.

I can't use anything less than D5100. I also can't use any Nikon DSLR that doesn't have LiveView.

The astronomy capture program I use, utilizes a Nikon SDK that does not support the D50, and Nikon did not release an SDK for that particular camera to begin with.

The D50 also has a noise-reduction algorithm that will literally 'eat' fainter stars within the frame.

I have also developed a cord that enables BULB exposure control over USB, that isn't compatible with the D50.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #9537 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.