Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #9484
View in linear mode

Subject: "WiFi to Social Media on 5300" Previous topic | Next topic
DVDMike Silver Member Nikonian since 25th Mar 2003Mon 31-Mar-14 05:48 PM
2213 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"WiFi to Social Media on 5300"

Metro Atlanta, US

Can anyone tell me how easy it is in practice to take a photo(s) that you have shot on your 5300 and get it to Facebook or other social media? I would be using Android as a phone.

When shooting weddings, I want to be able to shoot a few shots here and there with a 5300 and have an assistant upload and tag during shooting breaks on a wedding day. Guests are uploading crappy cell phone photos during the day and getting immediate buzz. I'd like to upload something much better and get better buzz.

Do you have to shoot in .jpeg mode to upload? Does it matter what size you shoot at, is there a way to resize smaller for the web in the app? Ideally, i'd like to shoot NEF full sized and be able to upload a smaller file. But if I had to shoot RAW+Jpeg and upload the jpeg, I could.

Can you take your SD card out of another camera, in my case a D800 and use its files to upload to social media from the 5300?

http://www.BigDigital.us

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: WiFi to Social Media on 5300
PBlais Silver Member
08th Apr 2014
Patrick28 Silver Member
22nd Apr 2014
Patrick28 Silver Member
22nd Apr 2014
CPR
02nd May 2014
jec6613 Silver Member
09th Apr 2014
CPR
02nd May 2014
jec6613 Silver Member
05th May 2014
CPR
05th May 2014
PBlais Silver Member
02nd May 2014
pjonesCET Gold Member
03rd May 2014
DVDMike Silver Member
26th May 2014
lvaradi Silver Member
26th May 2014
DVDMike Silver Member
26th May 2014
lvaradi Silver Member
26th May 2014
DVDMike Silver Member
26th May 2014
DVDMike Silver Member
21st Jun 2014
lvaradi Silver Member
21st Jun 2014
pjonesCET Gold Member
27th May 2014
KnightPhoto Gold Member
22nd Jul 2014

PBlais Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Jan 2014Tue 08-Apr-14 12:47 PM
622 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: WiFi to Social Media on 5300"
In response to Reply # 0

Hayes, US

Note that the D5300 can't transfer to social media it's just a wifi connection so it needs to go to another device like a laptop or a phone. It's just a built in version of the Nikon wifi dongle. A USB3 card reader will get your Nikon 800 shots transferred SO much faster.

An assistant can cull for some good shots and work up a workflow then down sample them. Meanwhile you don't stop shooting and nothing slows you down! Use smaller cards and hand them off quickly. If you need a phone app I know a great app called "Photo Transfer App" and that will go between a wifi laptop to a phone. It's just a couple bucks. They have laptop support for iOS or Windows and the app works on Android or an iPhone too.

From a phone you are now just like the guests but you have great images to upload. I really think you need a little quick workflow to make the shots you upload better than everybody else. As the shooter you can't do that and do your job too. You really can't be faster than the guests but you had better be a LOT better!

Patrick28 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Apr 2010Tue 22-Apr-14 02:54 PM
86 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: WiFi to Social Media on 5300"
In response to Reply # 1

Port Jervis, US

The Wi-Fi instructions in the manual (pp169-171) work precisely as described with my iPad3. Once the images are transferred to the iPad Camera Roll, they can be manipulated as any other images, including sending to social networks or attaching to emails.

Yes, you can insert cards from other cameras and fool the D5300.

Be sure to set both the Wi-Fi ON and the Network Connection to SSID in the camera SetUP menu.
Then use the General Settings in the iPad to select the Nikon Wi-Fi network which will be listed as an option.

I have only transferred JPG FINE files so far.

Good Luck!

Patrick28 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Apr 2010Tue 22-Apr-14 03:19 PM
86 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: WiFi to Social Media on 5300"
In response to Reply # 3

Port Jervis, US

I just transferred RAW NEF files to the iPad using the instructions in the manual pp169-171.
Do not leave the Wi-Fi on as it uses a lot of b attery.

CPR Registered since 02nd May 2014Fri 02-May-14 01:14 AM
60 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: WiFi to Social Media on 5300"
In response to Reply # 1

Crystal River, US

The literature on the D5300 says WiFi with phone but does not mention Laptop. Many folks, including me, have laptops but not one of the new fancy phones. With the phone the transfer he wants should be a piece of cake.

jec6613 Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Feb 2013Wed 09-Apr-14 11:20 AM
705 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: WiFi to Social Media on 5300"
In response to Reply # 0

Norwalk, US

As said above, with the Wi-Fi built in you can copy out JPEGs to your phone, and upload from the phone, but it's kludgy, especially the Android version. It's also a major battery drain, so you'll need to have a small bandolier of batteries if you're doing it constantly, and the D5300's battery isn't that large to begin with (compared to the D7100, for instance), and the camera has no real grips available for it to extend the battery life.

Ideally you'd shoot with something like an Eye-Fi card ( http://www.eye.fi/ ) that can write out directly to a laptop, and have an assistant with said laptop uploading them. This would also be ideally done with a dual slot body, with NEF to one card and JPEG to the Eye-Fi, but that's another story! Additionally, the battery drain isn't nearly as high with an Eye-Fi card as the Nikon Wi-Fi, by a long shot. The range isn't as good at all, but within the same room you'll be fine.

Traveling Connecticut Nikonian

D7100 | 16-85 | 70-300 VR | 35 f/1.8 DX | 50 f/1.8 | 85 f/1.8 (and other gear, too!)

CPR Registered since 02nd May 2014Fri 02-May-14 07:21 PM
60 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: WiFi to Social Media on 5300"
In response to Reply # 2

Crystal River, US

They are making the grips to hold two batteries in China now. About $36 delivered on Amazon. The vertical trigger takes an external cord so I don't use that function but the grip works. The D5300 won't give you info on each battery like a D80 would though.

jec6613 Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Feb 2013Mon 05-May-14 05:56 PM
705 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: WiFi to Social Media on 5300"
In response to Reply # 6

Norwalk, US

>They are making the grips to hold two batteries in China now.
>About $36 delivered on Amazon. The vertical trigger takes an
>external cord so I don't use that function but the grip works.
>The D5300 won't give you info on each battery like a D80 would
>though.

They exist, but the grips for cameras not designed for them originally I've found to be less than satisfactory - the batteries don't always roll over to the next pack, and if they do they black out the camera for a second, and so on. I own two for my D5100.

Traveling Connecticut Nikonian

D7100 | 16-85 | 70-300 VR | 35 f/1.8 DX | 50 f/1.8 | 85 f/1.8 (and other gear, too!)

CPR Registered since 02nd May 2014Mon 05-May-14 06:20 PM
#10. "RE: WiFi to Social Media on 5300"
In response to Reply # 9

Crystal River, US

jec6613

The grip for the D80 was a perfect copy of the NIKON item but the one for the D5300 does the functions but I haven't seen Nikon even come out with one yet for the D5300 so it's not a copy.
The two batteries must be in parallel in the holder because I can take either out and the camera still works and shows full charge.
I need the grip more to accommodate my large hands but it is easier to change batteries on the grip as well.

PBlais Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Jan 2014Fri 02-May-14 11:51 PM
622 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: WiFi to Social Media on 5300"
In response to Reply # 2

Hayes, US

EyeFi card would be the only good choice for Windows. Works quite well and the camera has a setting for it too.

pjonesCET Gold Member Nikonian since 11th Jul 2011Sat 03-May-14 10:01 PM
586 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#8. "RE: WiFi to Social Media on 5300"
In response to Reply # 7

Martinsville, US

Transfer the Photo from Camera to your Photo app using streaming Then when in your Photo App there should be a way to share FaceBook, Twitter, Flickr and so on.

Phillip M Jones, CET
pjonescet@comcast.net
http://www.phillipmjones.net/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/pjonescet/
http://www.phillipjones-cet.net

DVDMike Silver Member Nikonian since 25th Mar 2003Mon 26-May-14 12:19 PM
2213 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: WiFi to Social Media on 5300"
In response to Reply # 8

Metro Atlanta, US

I purchased an 8GB Eye-Fi card to try on my 5100 (& D800). I didn't realize that you needed the "pro" version to only transfer selected photos. Imagine shooting a wedding with the card turned on and every photo going to your phone, crazy. I've already had an issue with the software on the android where I can see the thumbnail photo transferred but when I click on it, it pulls up some photo I took with the camera. This does not encourage me to buy the pro version.

lvaradi Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Feb 2013Mon 26-May-14 01:33 PM
24 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: WiFi to Social Media on 5300"
In response to Reply # 11

Bethlehem, US

>
>I purchased an 8GB Eye-Fi card to try on my 5100 (& D800).
> I didn't realize that you needed the "pro" version
>to only transfer selected photos. Imagine shooting a wedding
>with the card turned on and every photo going to your phone,
>crazy. I've already had an issue with the software on the
>android where I can see the thumbnail photo transferred but
>when I click on it, it pulls up some photo I took with the
>camera. This does not encourage me to buy the pro version.
>
>
>http://www.BigDigital.us

Visit
>my
>Nikonians gallery>.

I use the Eye Fi with my iPhone and it works well. All photos are transferred to iPhone or ipad so you do need to cull the ones you don't like.

DVDMike Silver Member Nikonian since 25th Mar 2003Mon 26-May-14 02:50 PM
#13. "RE: WiFi to Social Media on 5300"
In response to Reply # 12
Mon 26-May-14 02:51 PM by DVDMike

Metro Atlanta, US

As far as I can tell, you can't even delete photos after they have transferred using the eye if app.

I really do NOT want all photos going to my phone. I only want a select few. At a wedding, I'll shoot 800 36mp images. I don't want all of them on my phone! I just want a few of them to post to Facebook during the day.

lvaradi Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Feb 2013Mon 26-May-14 07:00 PM
24 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: WiFi to Social Media on 5300"
In response to Reply # 13

Bethlehem, US

> As far as I can tell, you can't even delete photos after
>they have transferred using the eye if app.
>
>I really do NOT want all photos going to my phone. I only
>want a select few. At a wedding, I'll shoot 800 36mp images.
>I don't want all of them on my phone! I just want a few of
>them to post to Facebook during the day.
You can delete the photos from the camera or the iPhone after they are transferred over. If you only want selected photos to transfer you can use the wifi dongle on the D 7100 or the built in capabilities of the D5300. I tried the dongle and it was very slow..

DVDMike Silver Member Nikonian since 25th Mar 2003Mon 26-May-14 07:36 PM
#15. "RE: WiFi to Social Media on 5300"

Metro Atlanta, US

I found the delete button.

DVDMike Silver Member Nikonian since 25th Mar 2003Sat 21-Jun-14 12:41 AM
#17. "RE: WiFi to Social Media on 5300"

Metro Atlanta, US

I purchased an 8GB EyeFi Mobi card for use with my 5100. It basically does what I need it to. However, the card does NOT work as a stand-alone card using a USB SD card reader. The card is not recognized by my Windows machine and I cannot transfer (raw) files off of it without leaving the card in my camera and connecting the camera to the PC.

EyeFi support is useless. After telling them that I had no way of transferring my RAW images to my PC (and before I thought of using the camera itself), they told me to format the card in the camera and try again. Now if I format the card, I would lose all of my images!

So bottom line, these EyeFi cards are not ready for professional use. They are good enough for personal use I guess. But I'm not running out any buying large capacity cards for my pro bodies.

Visit [link:images.nikonians.org/galleries/showgallery.php?

lvaradi Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Feb 2013Sat 21-Jun-14 03:52 AM
#18. "RE: WiFi to Social Media on 5300"
In response to Reply # 17

Bethlehem, US

I have the same card and have no problem transferring the photos off the card. I currently use a Sandisk USB card reader and Nikon View. Have you tried a different card reader? My camera is a D 7100. Not sure is that makes a difference but it specifically supports and is supported by eyefi. I am have done transfers on 3 different computers running Windows 7.

pjonesCET Gold Member Nikonian since 11th Jul 2011Tue 27-May-14 02:25 PM
586 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#16. "RE: WiFi to Social Media on 5300"
In response to Reply # 8
Thu 29-May-14 01:30 AM by pjonesCET

Martinsville, US

To use iPad or other Tablet /or iPhone/Phone download from Nikon Nikon WMU software set up your phone or tablet for the Camera's WiFi.

Open the wmu software you have two choices, Take Photos, or view Photos view photos should add to your Photostream which in turn shows up in your photo app

Phillip M Jones, CET
pjonescet@comcast.net
http://www.phillipmjones.net/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/pjonescet/
http://www.phillipjones-cet.net

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Tue 22-Jul-14 05:02 AM
4334 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#19. "RE: WiFi to Social Media on 5300"
In response to Reply # 0

Alberta, CA

We need Thom's workflow where when you press the rating button in playback on the camera, it selects that image and jams it straight up, through the phone, onto FaceBook (or other predetermined location).

And at the smaller size that makes sense for FB without you having to think about it.

I can see why Thom is frustrated

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #9484 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.