Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #9466
View in linear mode

Subject: "Wide angle lens advice" Previous topic | Next topic
supersi Registered since 26th Mar 2014Wed 26-Mar-14 10:02 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Wide angle lens advice"

NZ

Can anyone recommend a good wide-angle lens for portraits to use with a Nikon D5200?

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Wide angle lens advice
JosephK Silver Member
26th Mar 2014
ctrclckws Gold Member
26th Mar 2014
MEMcD Moderator
27th Mar 2014
Ineluki Gold Member
27th Mar 2014
sl01
28th Mar 2014
KirkDNA
24th Apr 2014
PBlais Silver Member
24th Apr 2014
Ragnhildbp Silver Member
26th Apr 2014
Ray Gerke
27th Apr 2014

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Wed 26-Mar-14 10:11 PM
4153 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Wide angle lens advice"
In response to Reply # 0

Seattle, WA, US

Wide angle lenses are not usually used for portraits due to the natural distortion of wide angle lenses.

Can you give us a few more details about what subjects you want to shoot and the circumstances you want to shoot them under?

---------+---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D700, D200, D70S, 24-70mm f/2.8, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II, TC20e3,
50mm f/1.4 D, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX

ctrclckws Gold Member Nikonian since 25th Jul 2013Wed 26-Mar-14 10:22 PM
73 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Wide angle lens advice"
In response to Reply # 0

Jersey City, US

I am sure a longer term photographer with more experience will chime in, but for me wide angle and portraits would not really work.

How much of the person / object are you taking a portrait of?
If it's just the face or upper body + head, you'll probably be to close and get lots of distortion.

I've taken some face shots like that of my daughter age 7, and her nose was so big in proportion to the rest of the face.

That was with about a 20mm lens.

The D5200 is an APS-C sized sensor so there is a crop factor to convert the focal length to a 35mm equivalent of 1.5x.

with that in mind the DX 35m f1.8G lens has a field of view about the same as a 50mm Full Frame (52.5mm actually). This puts it at the low end of what is considered a reasonable portrait range. It is also a very well thought of lens by most.

A 50mm lens has an equivalent field of view of 75mm, which is close to the 85mm Field of view that a lot of people use for portraits. On the D5200 you would need either the f1.8G or the f1.4G lens if you wanted autofocus.

The new 58mm would have an 87mm equivalent Field of View, but it's way more money.

I would use the 35 or the 50.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Thu 27-Mar-14 06:34 AM
25661 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Wide angle lens advice"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Simon,

Welcome to Nikonians!

Wide angle lenses are generally not flattering to the human form.

Traditional portrait focal length for 35mm format is between about 70mm and 180mm. On a DX body: focal lengths from about 50mm - 120mm would provide the equivalent FOV (Field of View).
That said, nothing is written in stone. Some use 35mm - 300mm+ on DX bodies and others use 50mm - 300mm+ on an FX bodies.

I would recommend shooting portraits your kit lens set to different focal lengths and see what focal length works best for your particular requirements.

When you get a few minutes, please fill in your User Profile including the Equipment tab. It will help us provide better and more specific answers to your questions.
Thanks in advance.

Best Regards,
Marty

Ineluki Gold Member Nikonian since 03rd Aug 2011Thu 27-Mar-14 09:28 AM
2723 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Wide angle lens advice"
In response to Reply # 3
Thu 27-Mar-14 09:28 AM by Ineluki

Nürnberg, DE

>Wide angle lenses are generally not flattering to the human
>form.
>

From time to time you may take portraits with a wide angle when you know how to use it. I took this portrait for my work with the 16-35mm/f4 lens @ 35mm.

www.allmondo.com

http://images.nikonians.org/galleries/showgallery.php/ppuser/401509/cat/500/

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

sl01 Registered since 07th Jan 2014Fri 28-Mar-14 06:53 AM
37 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Wide angle lens advice"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri 28-Mar-14 07:00 AM by sl01

PL

Hi

How wide do you need? If you are not sure and you have a zoom lens, check exif from your (not cropped) photos which focal length you like most.

Words "wide" and "portrait" usually don't seat together, unless you make "progressive" portraits.
In my opinion, the widest eventually "portrait" lens, which autofocuses with D5200, is very good and not too expensive: Nikkor AF-S 35mm f/1,8 G DX .
Regards
S.

KirkDNA Registered since 26th Feb 2014Thu 24-Apr-14 06:47 AM
7 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Wide angle lens advice"
In response to Reply # 5

US

I just bought the Sigma 10-20mm off CL for $300 and I'm happy with it but f4-5.6 is a bit of a Debbie downer.

PBlais Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Jan 2014Thu 24-Apr-14 08:52 PM
327 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Wide angle lens advice"
In response to Reply # 0

Hayes, US

On my D5200 I shoot the 35mm f/1.8 of the 50mm f/1.8. I have zooms too but I don't favor them as much at least for portraits. You can get shallow depth of field and a nice background. With longer lenses the background blurs fine but there isn't anything to it after the depth compression. The wider aperture allows a lot more freedom to make even old people look good. I proper soft focus can be kinder with sharp eyes. These are both about $200 or less.

At wider than 35mm you have to get "in your face" close. Forget flash then and the distortion gets bad plus fast lenses get expensive in a really wide. You can do cool stuff like that but it's not what a traditional portrait is like.

Right now I'm loving the 50mm for people. I'v also got a new Lensbaby f/2.0 80mm that straight on is nice glass. It's harder to shoot as it's all manual plus no light meter (true for all Lensbaby for all Nikon D3xxx and D5xxx cameras). They work but you have to work harder.

The 35mm and 50mm are just flat out fun lenses for portraits or otherwise and you can't get the nicest Nikon glass cheaper than either of these. They both come in a f/1.4 but you'll pay many times more. The 50mm in an f/1.2 is total manual. Nikon makes a 40mm, 60mm, as well as an 85mm. all these could be candidates but they all cost a lot more and you need to feel certain about any of those and perhaps for other reasons too.

Ragnhildbp Silver Member Nikonian since 14th Apr 2013Sat 26-Apr-14 06:34 PM
7 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Wide angle lens advice"
In response to Reply # 0

Trondheim, NO

My most used lens would be my Sigma 30mm f1.4, the majority of my pictures are of my children, it works very well for this purpose as they are usually close to me.

Ray Gerke Registered since 12th Sep 2004Sun 27-Apr-14 04:17 AM
633 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Wide angle lens advice"
In response to Reply # 0

winnipeg, CA

Welcome to Nikonians.
On my D5300 I would not use anything wider than 35mm for portraits due to the factors mentioned by posters above. All correct in my opinion. Distortion of peoples faces is not a good thing to have.
I use Nikkor 50mm f/1.4, Nikkor 58mm f/1.4 for portraits as they both give wonderful subject isolation from the background and no noticeable distortion. The 50mm is not very expensive and is a really nice lens on the D5300.

Ray Gerke

D800, D5300, D2HS, D700 (sold), D7000(sold), CP520, CP510
Nikkor 24mm f/1.4, Nikkor 50mm f/1.4, Nikkor 58mm f/1.4, Nikkor 85mm f/1.4, Nikkor 14-24 F/2.8, Nikkor 80-200 f/2.8, Nikkor 24-120VR, Nikkor Micro 60mm f/2.8, Nikkor Micro 105mm f/2.8VR, Nikkor 10.5 DX
Sigma 30mm f/1.4, Sigma 150-500mm OS

My mapped photos from around the world

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #9466 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.