nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Print Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR NIKON CAMERA Nikon D5000/D3000 series (Public) topic #9425
View in linear mode

Subject: "What would I gain going from D5100 to D5300?" Previous topic | Next topic
freedomfarm Silver Member  US  Nikonian since 30th Mar 2013 Wed 12-Mar-14 02:17 PM
595 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"What would I gain going from D5100 to D5300?"
Wed 12-Mar-14 07:49 PM by freedomfarm

D5100 16.2 effective pixels, the D5300 24.2 effective pixels seems to be the main difference. What would that translate to besides a larger file? Finer details at larger crops? Would I gain better lighting without having to use higher ISO numbers (not have to pump it up so high)? I also noticed that in comparing these two cameras (I have the D5100) that the ISO numbers are the same but bracketed differently, I'm not sure what that translates to . . . Thanks for any information I mostly shoot wildlife and birds at distances using the Sigma 150-500 and hopefully soon, the Tamron 150-600.

Steve H
Rock Creek, Ohio

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Print | Reply | Quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: What would I gain going from D5100 to D5300? JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit.
12th Mar 2014
Reply message RE: What would I gain going from D5100 to D5300? freedomfarm Silver Member
12th Mar 2014
Reply message RE: What would I gain going from D5100 to D5300? sl01
12th Mar 2014
     Reply message RE: What would I gain going from D5100 to D5300? freedomfarm Silver Member
13th Mar 2014
          Reply message RE: What would I gain going from D5100 to D5300? RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit.
26th Mar 2014
               Reply message RE: What would I gain going from D5100 to D5300? DVDMike Silver Member
31st Mar 2014
                    Reply message RE: What would I gain going from D5100 to D5300? RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit.
31st Mar 2014
                         Reply message RE: What would I gain going from D5100 to D5300? DVDMike Silver Member
31st Mar 2014
                         Reply message RE: What would I gain going from D5100 to D5300? pjonesCET Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
01st Apr 2014
                              Reply message RE: What would I gain going from D5100 to D5300? jhnpenningtongmx
02nd May 2014
                                   Reply message RE: What would I gain going from D5100 to D5300? CPR Silver Member
02nd May 2014
02nd May 2014

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit.   Seattle, WA, US  Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006 Wed 12-Mar-14 07:26 PM
5286 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: What would I gain going from D5100 to D5300?"
In response to Reply # 0

At a quick glance, the D5300 will give you:
more pixels (bigger files, more cropping room)
a newer auto-focus system
a higher ISO range
better quality as the higher ISOs

---------+---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D700, D200, D70S, 24-70mm f/2.8, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II, TC20e3,
50mm f/1.4 D, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX

freedomfarm Silver Member  US  Nikonian since 30th Mar 2013 Wed 12-Mar-14 07:50 PM
595 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: What would I gain going from D5100 to D5300?"
In response to Reply # 1

Thanks Joseph!

Steve H
Rock Creek, Ohio

sl01   PL  Registered since 07th Jan 2014 Wed 12-Mar-14 10:35 PM
110 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: What would I gain going from D5100 to D5300?"
In response to Reply # 1
Wed 12-Mar-14 10:56 PM by sl01

And no anti-aliasing filter = a bit more details possible to get.
9 cross-type af sensors compared to one in d5100.
Newer 2016-pixel RGB metering sensor seems to be more precise.

freedomfarm Silver Member  US  Nikonian since 30th Mar 2013 Thu 13-Mar-14 09:44 AM
#4. "RE: What would I gain going from D5100 to D5300?"
In response to Reply # 3

Thanks for the info

Steve H
Rock Creek, Ohio

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit.   Monterey Bay, US  Charter Member Wed 26-Mar-14 05:20 AM
3186 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: What would I gain going from D5100 to D5300?"
In response to Reply # 4

Actually nearly everything has been improved.
I've had a D5100, D5200, and now have a D5300.
Besides the things already mentioned like doubling the usable ISO level in poor light,
It has a much better LCD, improved Video + 1080P 60, and faster processor.

DVDMike Silver Member  Metro Atlanta, US  Nikonian since 25th Mar 2003 Mon 31-Mar-14 01:35 PM
2216 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: What would I gain going from D5100 to D5300?"
In response to Reply # 5

My main reason for wanting to make this upgrade is for the built in wifi. I'd like to be able to post photos to social media without the need of transferring them to a computer first.

While this feature sounds trivial, it has professional and personal applications for me. You've got wedding guests posting cell phone photos during the ceremony already.

Can anyone say how well the wifi to social media works in practice?

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit.   Monterey Bay, US  Charter Member Mon 31-Mar-14 04:23 PM
3186 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: What would I gain going from D5100 to D5300?"
In response to Reply # 6

DVD Mike,
You may have to start a new "WiFi to Social Media" thread to get your answers.

Cell Phones already killed my Event business.
Seems that most people are more interesed in their facebook than quality JPEGs or Prints.
Maybe that is why I hate and do not use it or similar services?

I don't know if you can upload to the Internet directly from the Camera
you may need to relay to a cellphone or tablet for that.

Only thing I would use WiFi for would be to control the camera remotely.

DVDMike Silver Member  Metro Atlanta, US  Nikonian since 25th Mar 2003 Mon 31-Mar-14 06:50 PM
2216 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: What would I gain going from D5100 to D5300?"
In response to Reply # 7

>DVD Mike,
>You may have to start a new "WiFi to Social Media"
>thread to get your answers.
>
Good idea: http://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=312&topic_id=9484&mesg_id=9484&page=

pjonesCET Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014   Martinsville, US  Nikonian since 11th Jul 2011 Tue 01-Apr-14 10:30 PM
657 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#9. "RE: What would I gain going from D5100 to D5300?"
In response to Reply # 7

If I had my druthers (look I am from the South so we say thing different )

I much rather be interested in other feature that is not being talked about. The Geo Locating system where it automatically would put your location where the picture was taken.

I have the add on devices for my D3200 (yea I missed the boat by a couple of months and could have got the 3300 that had all this built in).

Phillip M Jones, CET
pjonescet@comcast.net
http://www.phillipmjones.net/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/pjonescet/
http://www.phillipjones-cet.net

jhnpenningtongmx   UK  Registered since 27th Apr 2014 Fri 02-May-14 09:04 AM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: What would I gain going from D5100 to D5300?"
In response to Reply # 9

The viewfinder is also quite a bit bigger and less tunnel-like.

CPR Silver Member  Crystal River, US  Nikonian since 02nd May 2014 Fri 02-May-14 08:17 PM
116 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: What would I gain going from D5100 to D5300?"
In response to Reply # 10
Fri 02-May-14 08:17 PM by CPR

Yes, viewfinder is larger and brighter but still impossible to see to shoot videos outdoors in the sun. I'm thinking of making a cardboard shade or something....

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit.   Monterey Bay, US  Charter Member Fri 02-May-14 08:34 PM
#12. "RE: What would I gain going from D5100 to D5300?"
In response to Reply # 11

>Yes, viewfinder is larger and brighter but still impossible
>to see to shoot videos outdoors in the sun. I'm thinking of
>making a cardboard shade or something....

Isn't the ViewFinder, the eyepiece.
Anyway it is always best to shoot from the shade, even an umbella.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR NIKON CAMERA Nikon D5000/D3000 series (Public) topic #9425 Previous topic | Next topic