Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #9421
View in linear mode

Subject: "D5100 & D5300 Auto ISO for video" Previous topic | Next topic
DVDMike Silver Member Nikonian since 25th Mar 2003Tue 11-Mar-14 01:04 PM
2205 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D5100 & D5300 Auto ISO for video"

Metro Atlanta, US

I've got a D5100. Is there any way to set the ISO to a fixed setting (along with Aperture and Shutter) when shooting video?

If not, does the D5300 offer a completely manual exposure setting when shooting movie mode?

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D5100 & D5300 Auto ISO for video
Paul Anderegg
19th Mar 2014
RRRoger Silver Member
24th Mar 2014
PBlais Silver Member
29th Mar 2014
DVDMike Silver Member
29th Mar 2014
jwphilly
30th Mar 2014
mrpbnm
27th Apr 2014
RRRoger Silver Member
02nd Jun 2014

Paul Anderegg Registered since 14th Jan 2014Wed 19-Mar-14 09:08 AM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D5100 & D5300 Auto ISO for video"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I did a firmware update from that nikon hackers site, and now I can set (and it stays) my ISO, and manually set my shutter from 1/30 up. I don't have my 5100 handy at the moment, but I don;t seem to remember being able to make any aperture adjustments, at least nothing on the LCD that changes the exposure.

I am interested in slapping some prime lenses on my camera for video, but the inability to manually "crank" the iris open and closed is a serious problem. When I try to adjust a manual iris ring on a lens, the 5100 won't record and complains. Is there a way around this, so that i can set my ISO and shutter, then manually focus and adjust iris like a professional video lens?

Paul

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberMon 24-Mar-14 03:29 PM
3163 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D5100 & D5300 Auto ISO for video"
In response to Reply # 0

Monterey Bay, US

Quote Mike >I've got a D5100. Is there any way to set the ISO to a fixed setting (along with Aperture and Shutter) when shooting video?
>If not, does the D5300 offer a completely manual exposure
>setting when shooting movie mode?<<<Quote

The D5300 does have a fixed ISO setting. You can turn Auto ISO off.
You can also (ackwardly) adjust the aperture during a recording,
when pushing the +/- button while spinning the rear dial.
I use Auto ISO 12,800 so that there is some "give" while I adjust Aperture when in M (manual mode).

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

PBlais Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Jan 2014Sat 29-Mar-14 10:30 PM
365 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D5100 & D5300 Auto ISO for video"
In response to Reply # 0

Hayes, US

Twist the knob on the top to "M" - Maunal as well as setting auto ISO to a fixed setting. Video really should be shot in manual if you want good results. It's harder than still shots but with changing scenes an auto setting is going to screw you up.

DVDMike Silver Member Nikonian since 25th Mar 2003Sat 29-Mar-14 11:11 PM
2205 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D5100 & D5300 Auto ISO for video"
In response to Reply # 3

Metro Atlanta, US

Are you saying that the 5100 can shoot video in manual mode without auto ISO?

I know that it's a must when shooting video to shoot manually. That's why I asked the question in the first place. I've tried in the past to shoot full manual video on the 5100 but have not been able to do so yet. If it can be done, I'll try it again.

jwphilly Registered since 30th Mar 2014Sun 30-Mar-14 03:13 PM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: D5100 & D5300 Auto ISO for video"
In response to Reply # 0

Philadelphia, US

I had a D5100 but needed to upgrade to the D5200 when I started shooting more video, for just the reason you are describing. As far as I could tell, the 5100 will automatically adjust the ISO no matter what settings you are using (although the screen may show the value you set, if you look at your footage, you can tell it is changing).

The D5200 does not have this problem. I would assume the D5300 does not either.

mrpbnm Registered since 03rd Apr 2014Sun 27-Apr-14 03:44 PM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: D5100 & D5300 Auto ISO for video"
In response to Reply # 5
Sun 27-Apr-14 03:47 PM by mrpbnm

US

The simple workaround for this is to assign the AE-L/AF-L button to to AE lock (hold) and then use it to lock your exposure before starting the recording. This came from an excellent article: Shooting better quality video on the Nikon D5100. http://digitaladvice.littlehole.net/archives/140

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberMon 02-Jun-14 02:26 PM
3163 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: D5100 & D5300 Auto ISO for video"
In response to Reply # 6

Monterey Bay, US

Shooting in Manual Mode is a must because it gives you more control.
You can still use Auto Focus and Auto ISO.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #9421 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.