Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #9382
View in linear mode

Subject: "I'm having trouble using the HDMI port on my D5300 H..." Previous topic | Next topic
D5300 Registered since 29th Dec 2013Fri 28-Feb-14 12:30 AM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"I'm having trouble using the HDMI port on my D5300 Help Please."

St Petersburg, US

When I hook up the D5300 to a Computer monitor, the screen that has the settings is on the monitor..Fine. As soon as I turn on live view, the camera reverts back to the settings screen BUT not 100% of the time. About 7% of the time it's a wonderful thing and works like a dream.

2 things that might be the problem.
1. I'm using a HDMI to DVI
2. I'm using a 25' cable
Ok 3 things..maybe the camera doesn't like me and wants to see me squirm.

any ideas ?? Thanks much1

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

Puddlepyrate2013 Moderator Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2013Sat 01-Mar-14 10:23 PM
189 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: I'm having trouble using the HDMI port on my D5300 Help Please."
In response to Reply # 0

Portsmouth, US

Ummmm, #3... no,no,no maybe ummm # 1, wait, ooh ahh, (I hate trick questions) dangit has to be #2.... cable is too long, by the time info gets to the other end, it bits the dust get it, bits the dust, as in bites the dust:-)
Have you tried HDMI to HDMI, to see if there is improvement.
Bob

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberMon 31-Mar-14 06:18 PM
3176 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: I'm having trouble using the HDMI port on my D5300 Help Please."
In response to Reply # 1

Monterey Bay, US

All HDMI cables are not equal.
Could be yours requires a stronger signal?
There are also at least two kinds of DVi connectors.
Yours may not be the best?

Try a shorter cable and see if the performance jumps.

PBlais Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Jan 2014Tue 01-Apr-14 12:20 AM
622 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: I'm having trouble using the HDMI port on my D5300 Help Please."
In response to Reply # 2

Hayes, US

They make special cables for long HDMI. Monporice.com has them. Normally the basic cables start to #### out at about 7 to 10 ft. MY D5200 does just fine a short HDMI.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #9382 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.