Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #9366
View in linear mode

Subject: "Auto Iso with flash" Previous topic | Next topic
sl01 Registered since 07th Jan 2014Fri 21-Feb-14 07:36 AM
84 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Auto Iso with flash"
Fri 21-Feb-14 08:00 AM by sl01

PL

Hi
I've tried auto iso in my D5100 and I've found it quite useful. When shooting in difficult conditions, it saves time and gives lower noise. Great. But when I turn on the flash, the camera chooses the same high sensitivity setting or similar to the one used without flash. But with flash I don't need that high ISO. Can I do something to tell my camera to set lower auto iso setting with flash - Without having to dig to maximum iso setting?
I've tried various flash settings. I use aperture priority mode. Shooting distance - about 3,5-4m. Focal lenghts about 18-50mm, f settings between 3,5 and 8.
Thanks for your time
Regards
S.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Auto Iso with flash
JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit.
21st Feb 2014
sl01
21st Feb 2014
MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas
21st Feb 2014
Lolrogge Silver Member
21st Feb 2014
olsen Silver Member
25th Feb 2014
grnzbra Silver Member
26th Feb 2014
Patrick28 Silver Member
28th Feb 2014

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Fri 21-Feb-14 08:13 AM
4751 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Auto Iso with flash"
In response to Reply # 0

Seattle, WA, US

As a general rule, auto-ISO and flash do not play well together. At least by any expectations from users. Your best bet is to use manual ISO when using the flash.

Auto-ISO tends to want to get the ambient light good, but with flash you often are looking to ignore or override the ambient light.

---------+---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D700, D200, D70S, 24-70mm f/2.8, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II, TC20e3,
50mm f/1.4 D, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX

sl01 Registered since 07th Jan 2014Fri 21-Feb-14 10:06 AM
84 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Auto Iso with flash"
In response to Reply # 1
Fri 21-Feb-14 10:11 AM by sl01

PL

Thanks for the answer, although this is not a good news. I could live with turning on/off auto iso every time I turn on/off flash. I could, if that setting wasn't buried deep into menu.
It's a shame, auto iso can work well in an old coolpix, but it can't in a DSLR.

Thanks
Regards
S.

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Fri 21-Feb-14 04:58 PM
26795 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Auto Iso with flash"
In response to Reply # 2

US

Hi Slawek,

Have you tried to change the ISO settings using the Information Display (i - Info button)? That should give you faster access than digging through the camera menu.

Best Regards,
Marty

Lolrogge Silver Member Nikonian since 13th Apr 2012Fri 21-Feb-14 07:18 PM
303 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Auto Iso with flash"
In response to Reply # 3

Ayden, US

On the D5100 this will not override the Auto ISO setting.

Laverne

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

olsen Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Aug 2012Tue 25-Feb-14 11:15 AM
7 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Auto Iso with flash"
In response to Reply # 0

Copenhagen N, DK

>Hi
>I've tried auto iso in my D5100 and I've found it quite
>useful. When shooting in difficult conditions, it saves time
>and gives lower noise. Great. But when I turn on the flash,
>the camera chooses the same high sensitivity setting or
>similar to the one used without flash. But with flash I don't
>need that high ISO. Can I do something to tell my camera to
>set lower auto iso setting with flash - Without having to dig
>to maximum iso setting?
>I've tried various flash settings. I use aperture priority
>mode. Shooting distance - about 3,5-4m. Focal lenghts about
>18-50mm, f settings between 3,5 and 8.
>Thanks for your time
>Regards
>S.

I have experienced the exact same problem with my D3100. Even though flash is used a too high ISO setting is selected (3200'ish). I have learned my lesson and will go for manual ISO with flash in the future.

Best regrads

Peter Olsen

grnzbra Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Sep 2011Wed 26-Feb-14 09:13 PM
307 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Auto Iso with flash"
In response to Reply # 5

Springfield, US

There is a setting somewhere in the warren of menus on my 5100 that allowed me to limit how high the camera can set the ISO on its own.
This allows the camera a little latitude in setting the ISO if it thinks it needs it but keeps it from going off into never-never land.

Patrick28 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Apr 2010Fri 28-Feb-14 02:11 PM
86 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Auto Iso with flash"
In response to Reply # 5

Port Jervis, US

I leave the ISO Sensitivity in the Camera Menu turned OFF and assign the ISO setting to Fn1 button (immediately below the flash release button). That's done at the Custom Menu setting f1.

That way I can set my fixed ISO for the entire shoot session by using the normal 'i' menu. Then I can change it quickly between shots by pressing the Fn1 button and spinning the Command Dial.

ISO Sensitivity is turned OFF in the Shooting Menu. Your fixed ISO is set at the top of the same menu item.

The way the ISO Sensitivity works is that it looks at what you've set (however) for the shutter speed and aperture, then sets the lowest ISO from your ISO range settings that will satisfy the camera's meter reading at those two settings. (That presumes that you have not called for a shutter speed that you told the camera not to go below when you set up your ISO Sensitivity range.)

I don't like the camera making exposure decisions for me so I normally shoot in full manual mode. Given the wonderful meter readout in the D5000 series, that's no more difficult than setting A or P and letting the camera select the other two exposure variables.

What we don't have - and where Nikon screwed up - are function buttons that we can call on to control the focus and meter reading between matrix/spot. Look at the f-settings in the Custom Menu. They're things you set leisurely while having lunch whereas matrix/spot focus and meter reading are functions you want to change on the fly between shots - not on 5-step menu operations.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #9366 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.