Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #9344
View in linear mode

Subject: "Newbie, looking for advice!" Previous topic | Next topic
NikonD5200JW Registered since 13th Feb 2014Thu 13-Feb-14 11:42 PM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Newbie, looking for advice!"

US

Hi Everyone,

I just got a Nikon D5200 + AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR & AF-S DX VR Zoom-Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G IF-ED lens.

I have always loved photography & I'm hoping to be able to get into it as a more serious hobby.

Any advice, recommendations for books, websites, blogs & must-have equipment would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
JW

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Newbie, looking for advice!
JosephK Silver Member
13th Feb 2014
trek Silver Member
13th Feb 2014
tekneektom Gold Member
14th Feb 2014
NikonD5200JW
14th Feb 2014
tekneektom Gold Member
14th Feb 2014
trek Silver Member
14th Feb 2014
roffelmau Silver Member
15th Feb 2014
MEMcD Moderator
14th Feb 2014
ctrclckws Gold Member
15th Feb 2014
Jim 1957 Silver Member
16th Feb 2014
Skyco Silver Member
17th Feb 2014
NikonD5200JW
17th Feb 2014
Skyco Silver Member
05th Mar 2014
PBlais Silver Member
29th Mar 2014

JosephK Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Thu 13-Feb-14 11:57 PM
3733 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Newbie, looking for advice!"
In response to Reply # 0

Seattle, WA, US

You are already a member of one of the best websites there is. Welcome!

Extra battery. Running out of power at the wrong time is never a good thing.

Sensor cleaning kit, dust is a fact of life:
Rocket blower
Dry brush
Wet kit (http://www.CopperHillImages.com)

---------+---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D700, D200, D70S, 24-70mm f/2.8, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II, TC20e3,
50mm f/1.4 D, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX

trek Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Jun 2006Thu 13-Feb-14 11:58 PM
211 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Newbie, looking for advice!"
In response to Reply # 0

Saint Paul, US

Hello Jennifer, Welcome to Nikonians!
We are a large family of varied levels of photography, from Novice to Pro. And from all around the world.

It would help us help you, if you would fill out your profile a little more. your experience level, what do you like to shoot (landscapes, architecture, macro?).

Afflicted with NAS. Please Help!
Any donations would be GREATLY appreciated!!

tekneektom Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Nov 2011Fri 14-Feb-14 12:01 AM
1436 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Newbie, looking for advice!"
In response to Reply # 0

Land O Lakes, US

JW,

Welcome to Nikonians. First, get yourself a good book on the D5200 and really get to know the camera. Second, try to figure out what you really like to photograph (landscape, architecture, wildlife, kids, etc) and watch the appropriate forum here on Nikonians. Third, get out and capture as many images as possible - practice, practice, practice. Fourth, make sure you have an appropriate post processing software package - Nikon View NX2, LightRoom, PhotoShop, etc) for enhancing and cataloging your images.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

NikonD5200JW Registered since 13th Feb 2014Fri 14-Feb-14 12:45 AM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Newbie, looking for advice!"
In response to Reply # 3

US

Thanks Everyone! I just updated my profile as best I can. Since I'm just starting out, I don't really know what my likes & challenges are just yet. However, I do know that right now I gravitate more towards portrait photography. I will read my manual cover to cover, get more books on my camera, buy some more needed accessories (recommendations on where to buy are greatly appreciated - specialty store or online?) & get out & practice as much as I can. I have been. My son actually runs away now when I pull out my camera.

Thanks for your help & advice & please keep it coming!!!

Thanks again,
JW

tekneektom Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Nov 2011Fri 14-Feb-14 01:12 AM
1436 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Newbie, looking for advice!"
In response to Reply # 4

Land O Lakes, US

If you're really into portrait photography you might want to consider, at some point, a 50mm prime lens. With your D5200 and its 1.5X crop factor you end up with an effective 75mm lens - almost perfect for portrait work - assuming you're doing shoulder/head portraits.

trek Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Jun 2006Fri 14-Feb-14 01:12 AM
211 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Newbie, looking for advice!"
In response to Reply # 4
Fri 14-Feb-14 01:15 AM by trek

Saint Paul, US

I think the first accessory you may want is an external flash (SB700 or SB910). you may find the on camera flash is a bit limiting. Be aware that when using the on camera flash AND a lens hood may cause some blackout in the bottom portion of your pictures (the lens hood blocks the flash). AND, your camera supports the CLS system for wireless flash control that opens up a world of flash possibilities.

B&H is one online place to get camera gear...very reputable & good service.

Afflicted with NAS. Please Help!
Any donations would be GREATLY appreciated!!

roffelmau Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Sep 2013Sat 15-Feb-14 11:28 PM
169 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Newbie, looking for advice!"
In response to Reply # 4

DEPEW, US

You can get just about anything online but there's definite value in going to an actual reputable camera store locally. Not only are you tapping into a great resource with the staff and you get to try things before you buy (usually), you support a local business in these times of online giants crushing the little guy.

Just be sure leave all cash, credit cards, and checkbooks in the car! Welcome to the money pit

--Andy

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Fri 14-Feb-14 01:10 AM
25017 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Newbie, looking for advice!"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri 14-Feb-14 01:22 AM by MEMcD

US

Hi Jennifer,

Welcome to Nikonians!
Glad to have you with us.
Click on the Resources button at the top of page.
Start at:
>Guides, How-to, Tips and Tricks
>Camera Basics
>Fundamentals
>On Handholding Technique
and go from there.

I would also recommend reading Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson.

An extra Memory Card or two, a Card Reader, a Giottos Rocket Blower, a quality Microfiber Lens Cleaning Cloth, a Camera Bag.

Best Regards,
Marty

ctrclckws Gold Member Nikonian since 25th Jul 2013Sat 15-Feb-14 11:12 PM
45 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Newbie, looking for advice!"
In response to Reply # 5

Jersey City, US

Welcome also.

Be warned, photography can be addictive.

I got that same kit from BJ's Wholesale and it led to a D600, a D7100, an F6, and an F4.

I use the D5200 when I want to go light weight, and it's wonderful for that.

Read the Manual, take pictures. Play with settings.

Learn to appreciate the 1.5x crop factor.

The 35mm DX f1.8 lens on the D5200 has just about the same field of view as the 50mm FX lens on the D600. I proved to myself by taking a picture with each combination of the same cabinet across a room.

The 35mm DX f1.8 is a very well respected lens. and so inexpensive.

If you like auto-focus, don't bother with anything other than the AF-S lenses. The D5200 doesn't have an in-body drive motor.

The 50mm FX lenses have a field of view equivalent to a 75mm lenses when used on the D5200. So it's a little tighter framing the subject.

Have fun. I love the graphical display of aperture, even though some say it's a little gimmicky.

Have fun, and take pictures.

Jim 1957 Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Oct 2005Sun 16-Feb-14 12:07 AM
164 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Newbie, looking for advice!"
In response to Reply # 0

Corinth, US

Hi Jennifer, welcome to Nikonians. One book that really helped me was "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson. Don't be afraid to just play with your camera, in the film days I was very conscious of what every exposure cost. With digital you are free to experiment and it costs you nothing but your time. Have fun and enjoy your new hobby.

Skyco Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Mar 2012Mon 17-Feb-14 12:41 AM
119 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Newbie, looking for advice!"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon 17-Feb-14 01:11 PM by Skyco

Roanoke Island, US

Welcome to Nikonians Jennifer,

You have made a wonderful choice going with Nikon. The lenses that came with your camera are optically superior to "kit" lenses in general and preform well compared to lenses costing hundreds more. Enjoy your camera and get to know it and follow your heart to grow in your love of photography and where it takes you.

For portraiture might want to think of a "fast" - (low f/stop) 85mm equivalent or so prime lens to start with ( shallow depth of field and low light performance) and consider off camera flash. Nikon Speed Lights are awesome and give lots more control and pleasing results compared to the camera's pop up flash.

For camera bags/cases: I like Thinktankphoto gear http://www.thinktankphoto.com

However my wife loves her Lowpro sling bag. It carries her D3100 with a Nikon 18-200mm DX attached, plus other stuff, and it looks more like a purse than a camera bag. Its also expandable so it can hold even more stuff.
Lowpro
http://www.lowepro.com/passportsling

May I suggest Karl Taylor's video instruction.
http://www.karltaylorphotography.com

Also
"D5200 for Dummies" I am not insinuating that you are a dummy by any means. Nikon manuals do a good job of listing the camera's features but do not give a hint how to best use them.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/1118530470/?tag=mh0b-20&hvadid=2478764748&ref=pd_sl_1v3xk6argz_b

We live hours away from any "real" camera store so we get our gear online. I highly recommend Adorama or B&H Photo, which also have massive brick and mortar stores if your in NYC.

Please do look at the forums here on Nikonians and subscribe to those which fit your interests.

Warm Well Wishes,

Ken

http://www.flickr.com/photos/skyco_g/

"Humans don't rise to the occasion. Instead, we fall to our level of training and experience". Archilochus, a Greek soldier and poet.
The best photo advice I ever received was at a John Shaw workshop. "... Practice your craft... ... Pixels are free...Practice... experiment with your camera".

NikonD5200JW Registered since 13th Feb 2014Mon 17-Feb-14 11:42 PM
#12. "RE: Newbie, looking for advice!"
In response to Reply # 11

US

Wow!!! Thanks again Everyone! I am having such a great time with my new "hobby" & I am already seeing how addictive it can be. Thanks for the warnings!

Skyco Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Mar 2012Wed 05-Mar-14 12:38 AM
119 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Newbie, looking for advice!"
In response to Reply # 12
Wed 05-Mar-14 12:40 AM by Skyco

Roanoke Island, US

Re-Hi Jennifer,

I came on to this link which may be of some help as well.
Brian Peterson
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xq9OZysS-xc

Well Wishes, Enjoy your Nikon

Ken

http://www.flickr.com/photos/skyco_g/

"Humans don't rise to the occasion. Instead, we fall to our level of training and experience". Archilochus, a Greek soldier and poet.
The best photo advice I ever received was at a John Shaw workshop. "... Practice your craft... ... Pixels are free...Practice... experiment with your camera".

PBlais Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Jan 2014Sat 29-Mar-14 10:58 PM
139 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: Newbie, looking for advice!"
In response to Reply # 0

Hayes, US

I think all of the above have some part to add to your thinking. There are maybe a million directions you can go and working with your camera as it is for a bit might be smarter for a short period of time.

I would agree on the 35mm and 50mm prime lens suggestions as they are the really good nice cheap ones Nikon makes that really are great! You can still get a feel for those focal lengths on your current lens but the wider aperture makes for some great fun too.

If you like to learn via video there are several sites on the web that offer good material. I like lynda.com because the instructors and production is top quality. It's just $25 for one month of all you can eat so it's as cheap as a decent book.

I shoot a D5200 myself after having had a D3100. It's a camera you can grow into for a good while. Lots of stuff to learn and play with. Finding the things that you find fun and rewarding is the key to making it all just happen. It really is a fun hobby and the folks here all feel that way. Going out and shooting leads to finding the best things you like. It might be something you never knew about too.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #9344 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.