Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #9325
View in linear mode

Subject: "Kelvin scale and D5100's white balance presets..." Previous topic | Next topic
sl01 Registered since 07th Jan 2014Fri 07-Feb-14 10:08 AM
36 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Kelvin scale and D5100's white balance presets..."
Fri 07-Feb-14 10:14 AM by sl01

PL

Have you tried to approximate D5100's Factory White balance settings to kelvin values?
As you probably know, D5100 doesn't offer Kelvin scale for white balance. But it does offer presets, with fine tuning. Maybe it's possible to relate Kelvin values to (for instance) a certain preset WB, eventually fine tuned? Something like 3200K = Incandescent tuned 2B, 1G.
I'm writting this mostly because of my curiosity. I rarely use factory WB presets. I mainly use auto WB for "quick" shots (eventually with WB compensation), or gray card measure for "slow" shots.
Regards
S.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

PBlais Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Jan 2014Fri 07-Feb-14 05:54 PM
310 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Kelvin scale and D5100's white balance presets..."
In response to Reply # 0

Hayes, US

If you type "Kelvin Light Temperatures" you'll get a fair number of graphs to pick from. The problem is pretty exact for Tungsten 100 watts is 2,800 100 watt Halogen is 3000. Direct sun is 4,800 cloudy is 6,000, Blue sky is 10,000 at the top and candle light is the low end at 1,900 K. Sunrise or Sunset is about 3,000K.

I think the trouble you run into is that how cloudy is a cloudy day? If you shoot raw then it's easy. Use Auto as it gets pretty close then shoot a card and use it to reset the WB in post. In raw it's a free setting after the fact and you can nail it every time. Making jpg's requires the WB to be baked when the processor makes the capture into a jpg file. It's sort of a huge chore to fix the WB when it's wrong in a jpg. You never really get it nailed. A card can help but too many other details happen that you can't undo in a jpg.

You might use a preset for a studio setup that you wanted to repeat regularly. That would be a time saver. Outside I don't see it being useful. It is interesting to understand what the temperatures of types of light are.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #9325 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.