Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #931
View in linear mode

Subject: "D3000 and HDR Photography" Previous topic | Next topic
ladyeclectic Registered since 01st Dec 2009Thu 03-Dec-09 06:27 PM
9 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D3000 and HDR Photography"
Thu 03-Dec-09 07:24 PM by ladyeclectic

Central California, US

I'll admit that I'm relatively new to my DSLR, but I'm not knew to camera concepts so it's coming pretty quickly to me. For a long time I've been in awe of certain types of pictures, the ones that have such vivid and 3-dimensional lighting, and only today realized that type of photography has a name: HDR (High Dynamic Range). Google "HDR photography" for images if you're not sure what it is.

After spending most of the morning reading up on it I'm itching to get off work and try my hand at some local areas I think would make awesome shots, but was wondering about it with my D3000. HDR requires you to take several pictures with varying degrees of light exposure, and some cameras have an AEB (auto exposure bracketing) setting that will automatically set the exposure settings to increase or decrease incrementally. Does the D3000 have this option or would I need to do everything manually?

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D3000 and HDR Photography
FThompson
03rd Dec 2009
ladyeclectic
04th Dec 2009
FThompson
04th Dec 2009
ladyeclectic
04th Dec 2009
MEMcD Moderator
04th Dec 2009
gkaiseril Gold Member
04th Dec 2009
tonyr_d3000 Silver Member
25th Mar 2010
gkaiseril Gold Member
26th Mar 2010
26th Mar 2010
07th Feb 2010
MEMcD Moderator
03rd Dec 2009
ladyeclectic
04th Dec 2009
Artrous Silver Member
08th Jan 2010

FThompson Registered since 29th Apr 2008Thu 03-Dec-09 09:18 PM
850 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D3000 and HDR Photography"
In response to Reply # 0

Sans Avatar, US

Hi Sarah,
I don't have a D3000 but found in the manual that the D3000 does not have a bracketing feature. You can use one of the other modes to determine the initial middle settings then switch to manual and vary the shutter speed for the under and over images.

You have an auto ISO feature available which I would recommend but it should also be turned off when bracketing. A remote shutter release is a good thing to use.

ladyeclectic Registered since 01st Dec 2009Fri 04-Dec-09 12:02 PM
9 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D3000 and HDR Photography"
In response to Reply # 1

Central California, US

You have an auto ISO feature available which I would
>recommend but it should also be turned off when bracketing. A
>remote shutter release is a good thing to use.

I was afraid of that. Looks like manual it is!

I'm looking into a remote for just such an instance, as waiting for my timer gets annoying. Do the remotes do more than just release the shutter?

FThompson Registered since 29th Apr 2008Fri 04-Dec-09 01:30 PM
850 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D3000 and HDR Photography"
In response to Reply # 3
Fri 04-Dec-09 01:32 PM by FThompson

Sans Avatar, US

Hi Sarah,
   First, I forgot. Welcome to Nikonians!!
   The ML-3L that Marty mentioned appears to be the only one supported on your D3000. It is a infrared remote (line-of-sight) that can release the shutter immediately or with a 2 second delay release.

Some of the other remote releases Nikon offers can do additional things, but are not supported by the D3000. One allows you to lock the shutter open (like bulb mode without holding the button) for longer exposures. Another is an intervalometer which means you can program it to do several snaps after a specified delay between.

Nikonusa.com is a great place to find out what is available for each camera AND what accessories are supported by what camera. It can be quite confusing picking the right accessory with all of the different choices. And.....you are a Nikonian, just ask .

ladyeclectic Registered since 01st Dec 2009Fri 04-Dec-09 03:51 PM
#6. "RE: D3000 and HDR Photography"
In response to Reply # 4

Central California, US

>The ML-3L that Marty mentioned
>appears to be the only one supported on your D3000. It is a
>infrared remote (line-of-sight) that can release the shutter
>immediately or with a 2 second delay release.

>Some of the other remote
>releases Nikon offers can do additional things, but are not
>supported by the D3000. One allows you to lock the shutter
>open (like bulb mode without holding the button) for longer
>exposures. Another is an intervalometer which means you can
>program it to do several snaps after a specified delay
>between.

That's what I was afraid of, that that D3000 would be so new as to not have many accessories (yet). For a couple days this week I seriously considered going back to the store and swapping my 3000 for a 5000, as it's only a couple hundred more and seems to have more product support (or sounds like it from what I've read online, I've actually not researched it yet).

I'll head over to the Nikon site and check around. Hopefully they'll get some remotes and other accessories for these intro DSLRs soon.

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Fri 04-Dec-09 04:14 PM
25017 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: D3000 and HDR Photography"
In response to Reply # 6

US

Hi Sarah,

The ML-L3 remote has been used for several generations of entry level and mid level bodies including the current D3000, D5000 and D90.
What specific accessories are you looking for?
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Fri 04-Dec-09 05:37 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: D3000 and HDR Photography"
In response to Reply # 7
Fri 04-Dec-09 05:44 PM by gkaiseril

Chicago, US

Without any thing, one might from the rear of the camera carefully hold the ML-L3 above the camera and behind the lens and possibly have the sensor detect the IR beam. The D70 has an angled sensor but the D3000/5000 does not.

It is possible to 'reflect' the ML-L3 IR beam to the camera's IR port by using a 3x5 card, business card, or bicycle review mirror attached to the camera, so one could stand behind the camera and reflect the IR beam to the sensor. A more expensive solution is to use a fiber optic cable to 'bend' the IR signal.

Be sure to cover the viewfinder with the DK-5 or a thick piece light blocking cloth.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

tonyr_d3000 Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Feb 2010Thu 25-Mar-10 06:10 PM
25 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: D3000 and HDR Photography"
In response to Reply # 8

Little Rock AFB, US

What is the reasoning behind using the DK-5? I saw what it looks like, but not sure what purpose it serves.

23+ yrs USAF
"Doin' it for God and country"

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Fri 26-Mar-10 03:57 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: D3000 and HDR Photography"
In response to Reply # 11

Chicago, US

The exposure sensors are located in the reflex housing so any light entering through the lens or through the eye piece will affect the exposure measurement.

From page 55 of the D-3000 manual:

"Cover the Viewfinder

After framing the photograph, remove the DK-20 rubber eyecup (q) and insert the supplied DK-5 eyepiece cap as shown (w). This prevents light entering via the viewfinder interfering with exposure. Hold the camera firmly when removing the rubber eyecup."

George
My Nikonian Galleries

tonyr_d3000 Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Feb 2010Fri 26-Mar-10 06:25 PM
25 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: D3000 and HDR Photography"
In response to Reply # 12

Little Rock AFB, US

so in a nutshell, my evening shots and even my daytime shots will turn out better? Only bad thing is I change my eyecup for one of the Hoodman 22S eyecups. They are a little tougher to change out, but good to know about covering it up. Thanks for the help

23+ yrs USAF
"Doin' it for God and country"

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

tonyr_d3000 Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Feb 2010Sun 07-Feb-10 04:51 AM
#10. "RE: D3000 and HDR Photography"
In response to Reply # 4

Little Rock AFB, US

I have a Promaster remote I use with my D3000 and have had good luck using it. It only has the one button for the shutter, so you are limited to a point. As far as manually opening and closing the shutter, this can be done. Just set your dial to "M" (manual) and take your shutter speed all the way as slow as possible. When you get it cranked all the way down, it will indicate "Bulb" if IR isn't turned on or "TIME" if you have the IR turned on. To make it easier to use my remote I assigned my Fn button to help. Just go into the Menu and under the SETUP MENU you find a tab for BUTTONS. Go in there and change the Fn button to "Release Mode". All I have to do now to change my release mode is hold the Fn button on the side by the lens and scroll the Command Dial. Nice and easy!

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Thu 03-Dec-09 09:26 PM
25017 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D3000 and HDR Photography"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Sarah,

When bracketing for an HDR image using a tripod would be a very good idea along with the remote release ML-3L that Fred is refering to.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

ladyeclectic Registered since 01st Dec 2009Fri 04-Dec-09 01:34 PM
#5. "RE: D3000 and HDR Photography"
In response to Reply # 2

Central California, US

I'm definitely intent on getting a tripod before I start anything like this. Friends and family keep telling me they have one I can use/borrow/have but they're either a long distance away or can't find it (or can't be bothered to look). I'll just have to wait a little while, but that might be good anyway just to learn more about the camera.

Artrous Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jan 2010Fri 08-Jan-10 06:46 AM
111 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: D3000 and HDR Photography"
In response to Reply # 5

Covington, US

Something else you can try for the 'pseudo-HDR' look, which I have been using since I got my D3000 at Christmas, is to set for multiple burst (continuous).

Then, in CS3/4/whatever, I play with each of the images (contrast, shadow, highlight, tone, etc) until each one covers the total range from under to over-exposed. 5-11 images ususally does it for me.

Lastly you can use the Create HDR action on your batch. A little labor-intensive (about 10 minutes), but the results are well-worth it to me....

This is imprecise, but until you get the hang of under/over exposing using Manual, it is also less frustrating.

Brian Schletty
World Traveler

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #931 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.