Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #9309
View in linear mode

Subject: "Manual iris shooting video on the D5100" Previous topic | Next topic
BryanM14609 Registered since 04th Feb 2014Wed 05-Feb-14 12:21 AM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Manual iris shooting video on the D5100"

US

I expect this has covered before, but both the D5100 manual and DP Review tell me that I can lock the iris / aperture during video record by pressing AE-L / AF-L either before or during recording. I can't get it to lock, and the I get an auto iris that changes during record. How can I set and lock the aperture, or preferably, change it manually during the video recording? Thanks!

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

jec6613 Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Feb 2013Wed 05-Feb-14 01:49 AM
710 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Manual iris shooting video on the D5100"
In response to Reply # 0

Norwalk, US

>I expect this has covered before, but both the D5100 manual
>and DP Review tell me that I can lock the iris / aperture
>during video record by pressing AE-L / AF-L either before or
>during recording. I can't get it to lock, and the I get an
>auto iris that changes during record. How can I set and lock
>the aperture, or preferably, change it manually during the
>video recording? Thanks!

The D5100 (and most other) Nikon cameras stops the aperture down when the mirror is raised to start live view or video. Once the lever is stopped down, it cannot be changed by the camera - automatic or not. The only cameras with the powered aperture after mirror lift are the D4 and D800, the others lack the hardware to do so at all.

What you may be seeing is that if you zoom or focus on a variable aperture consumer zoom, the effective aperture may change if you were wide open, but other than that no changes can be made by the camera.

Now, notice, I said that no change can be made BY THE CAMERA: you can change the aperture using an aperture ring yourself in manual mode just fine. Just be sure to unlock the aperture ring on a D-type Nikkor, or any manual focus lens (and I mean *ANY* - you can even use pre-AI manual focus lenses) before entering live view, and the camera will happily let you control the aperture via the ring.

Traveling Connecticut Nikonian

D7100 | 16-85 | 70-300 VR | 35 f/1.8 DX | 50 f/1.8 | 85 f/1.8 (and other gear, too!)

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

BryanM14609 Registered since 04th Feb 2014Wed 05-Feb-14 02:22 AM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Manual iris shooting video on the D5100"
In response to Reply # 1

US

Thanks so much for your reply. I should have mentioned that I'm using Nikon DX lenses that were provided with the camera as a package. They don't allow for manual iris on the lens itself. If I read your response correctly, with the DX lenses I probably can't lock the iris / aperture at my desired setting. And the auto iris function, while doing a good job keeping the video at proper levels during video record, has a "stepping" quality when changing exposure that's not appealing.

I'm a video professional and have a number of great HD video cameras, so this is not a huge issue for me. I bought the camera on sale bundled with a couple of DX lenses over the holidays, primarily for use as a still camera, so I suppose it's best that I keep it to that.

jec6613 Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Feb 2013Wed 05-Feb-14 02:55 AM
710 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Manual iris shooting video on the D5100"
In response to Reply # 2
Wed 05-Feb-14 02:56 AM by jec6613

Norwalk, US

>Thanks so much for your reply. I should have mentioned that
>I'm using Nikon DX lenses that were provided with the camera
>as a package. They don't allow for manual iris on the lens
>itself. If I read your response correctly, with the DX lenses
>I probably can't lock the iris / aperture at my desired
>setting. And the auto iris function, while doing a good job
>keeping the video at proper levels during video record, has a
>"stepping" quality when changing exposure that's not
>appealing.

I think you're missing here that the iris (aperture, in still terminology) cannot change during recording on a DX lens - the shutter speed may (and does) change, but the iris cannot change once you start recording. This is a physical impossibility on all Nikon DX lenses with your camera. There is no auto-iris function as the hardware to do open or close it, at all, during recording, it physically doesn't exist on the camera.

If you want to fix and manually step the shutter speed, which you can do, simply start recording in mode M. It'll move by 1/3 of a stop of exposure at once though, when you change it, so it does step a bit, but you can absolutely change or lock the shutter speed at will.

Traveling Connecticut Nikonian

D7100 | 16-85 | 70-300 VR | 35 f/1.8 DX | 50 f/1.8 | 85 f/1.8 (and other gear, too!)

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #9309 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.