nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Print Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR NIKON CAMERA Nikon D5000/D3000 series (Public) topic #9282
View in linear mode

Subject: "Mirror Lockup as Differentiator between D5300 and D3300..." Previous topic | Next topic
OwenWilkins   NZ  Registered since 24th Jan 2014 Fri 31-Jan-14 06:53 AM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Mirror Lockup as Differentiator between D5300 and D3300 ?"

Hi. I wish to choose either the D5300 or the D3300 for landscape (mainly) and flower photography. I want to take the camera on multi-day tramps (hikes). Want for it to be possible to make rather large sharp prints of landscape/ bush scenes: maybe 30 cm X 60 cm or so. Might only purchase the one lens for this "outfit", the DX 35 mm f1.8. (Might add some extension tubes to enable close ups of the flowers). The D3300 appeals as it is cheaper. It is also lighter and is specified as consuming somewhat less battery power. But it lacks Mirror Lockup. I have read that the mirror does go up in Live View mode but I do not know if wants to be using this mode all the time. I have no experience with an SLR with Live View. I imagine that, in bright (outside) conditions, one would prefer to work with the optical finder. I do not want the WIfi or G.P.S. of the D5300 and do not know if I would like or dislike the articulating LCD screen. I fear I would not like it .
I would,if I had Mirror Lockup , use it all the time. I use a tripod.
What sort of MLU does the D5300 have? How is it engaged? Does the Nikon cordless remote control,( the? ML3 ) enable the mirror to be locked up or pre-fired?
Finally , do you think it is an essential feature to enable the large , sharp landscape prints?
Am I failing to appreciate another feature that the D5300 has ?
I thank you for considering these questions.

Clarke.

Alert Print | Reply | Quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Mirror Lockup as Differentiator between D5300 and D... Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Writer Ribbon awarded for his contributions to the Nikonians Resources articles library
31st Jan 2014
Reply message RE: Mirror Lockup as Differentiator between D5300 and D... JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit.
31st Jan 2014
Reply message RE: Mirror Lockup as Differentiator between D5300 and D... blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas
01st Feb 2014
Reply message RE: Mirror Lockup as Differentiator between D5300 and D... PBlais Silver Member
01st Feb 2014
Reply message RE: Mirror Lockup as Differentiator between D5300 and D... OwenWilkins
02nd Feb 2014
     Reply message RE: Mirror Lockup as Differentiator between D5300 and D... JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit.
02nd Feb 2014
          Reply message RE: Mirror Lockup as Differentiator between D5300 and D... OwenWilkins
02nd Feb 2014
02nd Feb 2014
Reply message RE: Mirror Lockup as Differentiator between D5300 and D... Climmer7
24th Oct 2014
     Reply message RE: Mirror Lockup as Differentiator between D5300 and D... aolander Silver Member
24th Oct 2014
          Reply message RE: Mirror Lockup as Differentiator between D5300 and D... CPR Silver Member
25th Oct 2014
Reply message RE: Mirror Lockup as Differentiator between D5300 and D... John Bertotti Gold Member
01st Nov 2014
Reply message RE: Mirror Lockup as Differentiator between D5300 and D... CPR Silver Member
03rd Nov 2014
     Reply message RE: Mirror Lockup as Differentiator between D5300 and D... John Bertotti Gold Member
03rd Nov 2014

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Writer Ribbon awarded for his contributions to the Nikonians Resources articles library   Hatboro, Pa, US  Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009 Fri 31-Jan-14 01:28 PM
3675 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Mirror Lockup as Differentiator between D5300 and D3300 ?"
In response to Reply # 0

Hello Clarke. Welcome to Nikonian's.

The D5300 does not have the mirror up feature that you're looking for. The lock mirror up feature is only used to raise the mirror so you can clean the sensor. You can't take a photo with it. The mirror drops back down when you turn the camera off.

If you want the standard Mup feature to reduce mirror bounce you'll need to upgrade to the D7100.

Len

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit.   Seattle, WA, US  Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006 Fri 31-Jan-14 07:50 PM
5455 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Mirror Lockup as Differentiator between D5300 and D3300 ?"
In response to Reply # 1

The D5300 does have the "exposure delay" setting, which will lift the mirror about a 1/2 second before the shutter is released.

---------+---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D700, D200, D70S, 24-70mm f/2.8, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II, TC20e3,
50mm f/1.4 D, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas   Richmond, US  Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004 Sat 01-Feb-14 05:46 AM
27069 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#3. "RE: Mirror Lockup as Differentiator between D5300 and D3300 ?"
In response to Reply # 0

Mirror lock up is definitely not a requirement for making large prints, especially not with shorter focal lengths. This is done many times every day. At longer focal lengths, longer shutter speeds, and under windy conditions, it's a good idea. It probably doesn't hurt except when shooting rapidly moving subjects, but it's definitely not mandatory.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

PBlais Silver Member  Hayes, US  Nikonian since 19th Jan 2014 Sat 01-Feb-14 07:27 PM
1436 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Mirror Lockup as Differentiator between D5300 and D3300 ?"
In response to Reply # 3
Sat 01-Feb-14 07:28 PM by PBlais

You may want to look at the D5200 instead of the D3300. The price on those is down quite a bit and you'll get a few nice features you won't get with the D3300.

You'll get higher ISO
The flexible rear live view LCD
only 75 grams heavier
14 bit RAW files vs 12 bit RAW
39 point auto focus
a bunch of extra scene modes (for jpg)
Bracketing!
Mirror lockup (cleaning mode only)
The D5200 has much better support for tethered shooting

Right now the retail on the D3300 is the same as the D5200 but the street prices may be better if you just want a body and not get the kit lens (I wouldn't - didn't). The body you can get for under $475 or less shop a 50mm f/1:8 would be a good cheap addition.

You don't get the GPS and Wifi built in with the D5300 but not much else different.

OwenWilkins   NZ  Registered since 24th Jan 2014 Sun 02-Feb-14 12:10 AM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Mirror Lockup as Differentiator between D5300 and D3300 ?"
In response to Reply # 4

Thank you Len,Joseph,Brian and PBlais for your information and perspectives.
How is the "Exposure Delay" or Mirror-Prefire engaged on the D5X00 series cameras? Is it a setting which can be set so that it occurs every time or does one have to go through a series of steps each time ?
What might one see in an image or print that shows the benefit of 14 Bit Raw files over 12 Bit files?
Cheers,

Clarke

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit.   Seattle, WA, US  Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006 Sun 02-Feb-14 01:59 AM
5455 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Mirror Lockup as Differentiator between D5300 and D3300 ?"
In response to Reply # 5
Sun 02-Feb-14 02:07 AM by JosephK

Exposure Delay is an on/off setting in the Custom Settings. When it is on and until you turn it off, for each picture the camera will raise the mirror and wait 1/2 second (with a dark viewfinder) and then fire the shutter and drop the mirror. CH and CL release modes will still be continuous but not fast.

Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

OwenWilkins   NZ  Registered since 24th Jan 2014 Sun 02-Feb-14 04:16 AM
#7. "RE: Mirror Lockup as Differentiator between D5300 and D3300 ?"
In response to Reply # 6

Thanks for that info , Joseph. That is good. What are the CH and CL release modes?

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit.   Seattle, WA, US  Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006 Sun 02-Feb-14 04:27 AM
#8. "RE: Mirror Lockup as Differentiator between D5300 and D3300 ?"
In response to Reply # 7

Continuous-hi and continuous-lo release speeds.

Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

Climmer7   US  Registered since 24th Oct 2014 Fri 24-Oct-14 01:27 PM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Mirror Lockup as Differentiator between D5300 and D3300 ?"
In response to Reply # 3
Fri 24-Oct-14 01:30 PM by Climmer7

Question: On the D5300 in live view, isn't the mirror locked up? I would think that it would have to be in order to see the live view. If so, you could simply focus through the viewfinder, engage live view and take the picture (either manually, or with a wired/wireless release), with the mirror up. For that matter, if it works that way, any Nikon D-series with a live view would work in this manner. (I have a D3100, D3200 and a D5300)

aolander Silver Member  Nevis, US  Nikonian since 15th Sep 2006 Fri 24-Oct-14 07:30 PM
3456 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Mirror Lockup as Differentiator between D5300 and D3300 ?"
In response to Reply # 9

Yes, the mirror is up during live view, but when you press the shutter release, the mirror goes down and back up again. No gain in vibration control this way.

Alan

CPR Silver Member  Crystal River, US  Nikonian since 02nd May 2014 Sat 25-Oct-14 11:39 PM
125 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Mirror Lockup as Differentiator between D5300 and D3300 ?"
In response to Reply # 10

It's quite noisy when it drops down and then up so there must be vibration created.
If you have a tablet you could use a software package like "ControlMyNikon" to trigger the camera.

John Bertotti Gold Member  Garretson, US  Nikonian since 01st Jul 2012 Sat 01-Nov-14 11:27 AM
764 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Mirror Lockup as Differentiator between D5300 and D3300 ?"
In response to Reply # 0
Sat 01-Nov-14 11:29 AM by John Bertotti

My biggest issue with the 3xxx series is the la I of support for tethering software. Even, as I understand it, Nikons own software won't work with my D3200 and neither will every other program I looked at although a couple had very basic support it wasn't enough to even get me to try it. My D3200 tales good picture but had I know this to start I would haves aged a bit longer and stepped up to a 7xxx camera.

CPR Silver Member  Crystal River, US  Nikonian since 02nd May 2014 Mon 03-Nov-14 03:51 AM
125 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Mirror Lockup as Differentiator between D5300 and D3300 ?"
In response to Reply # 12

Apparently the tethering software depends on the programming of the camera. The guys at ControlMyNikon had to wait for detailed info on the D5300 from Nikon before they could make their software work with that one and a few more new ones for them. It does work well with the D5300 and the D7100.

John Bertotti Gold Member  Garretson, US  Nikonian since 01st Jul 2012 Mon 03-Nov-14 04:09 AM
764 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: Mirror Lockup as Differentiator between D5300 and D3300 ?"
In response to Reply # 13

Exactly, I had no idea of the limited software for the 3xxx series cameras and I didn't research well so I didn't find out there was no bracketing until after I bought the camera. I can't say those thing would have been a deal breaker because at the time the d3200 had more MP and I thought better IQ then the 5100 that was around then or perhaps the Waz the 5200 I looked at. I also really didn't like the moving display. I love my D3200 but it's missing options, that I wanted, does bother me.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR NIKON CAMERA Nikon D5000/D3000 series (Public) topic #9282 Previous topic | Next topic