Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #9243
View in linear mode

Subject: "Wifi battery drain in the D5300" Previous topic | Next topic
stevelink3 Registered since 20th Apr 2013Sat 25-Jan-14 06:30 PM
72 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Wifi battery drain in the D5300"

US

Greetings!
As a new D5300 user, I successfully implemented the wifi capability with it and my iPhone 5. However, I am noticing a quite substantial "hit" on battery life! For example, at 100% charged, after only a few (10) exposures using wifi, the battery drops to 35%. Is this normal? Perhaps a firmware update will improve this, although I don't expect to being using that feature much regardless, as I usually post process my images before distributing anyway, and the ML-3 IR remote works just fine.
Thank you.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Sat 25-Jan-14 08:25 PM
8587 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Wifi battery drain in the D5300"
In response to Reply # 0
Sat 25-Jan-14 08:27 PM by ericbowles

Atlanta, US

Take a look at the manual for custom settings. Typically there is a setting to enable or disable wifi.

There is a similar function for GPS. The function is called the Standby Timer and it is found in the custom settings menu. You want to Enable the Standby Timer to extend battery life. I think the wifi setting will be similar.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
2014 Workshops - Spring in the Smokies

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

factotum Registered since 17th Jun 2007Mon 27-Jan-14 04:13 AM
342 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Wifi battery drain in the D5300"
In response to Reply # 1

US

I hope you are right. I am considering the 5300 for the wifi.

"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
Miss Piggy

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberMon 27-Jan-14 01:47 PM
3162 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Wifi battery drain in the D5300"
In response to Reply # 2

Monterey Bay, US

I am now using a Meike D5200 grip and two Vivatar batteries.
This has not only extended my shooting considerable,
but my lens no longer hits my TriPod mount.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Tue 28-Jan-14 12:01 PM
8587 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Wifi battery drain in the D5300"
In response to Reply # 0

Atlanta, US

Just a question. Do you also have Location Data enabled. If the camera is searching for satellites to record your location, you'll go through batteries much faster. The manual only suggest an on-off setting for this function. Other cameras with the GP-1 offer the option to only activate a search for satellites when the shutter is partially depressed, so you do not continue to search during idle time.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
2014 Workshops - Spring in the Smokies

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #9243 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.