Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #9242
View in linear mode

Subject: "3rd Party compatible battery for D5300..." Previous topic | Next topic
stevelink3 Registered since 20th Apr 2013Sat 25-Jan-14 06:25 PM
72 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"3rd Party compatible battery for D5300..."

US

Greetings!
As a new D5300 user (from a D5200), I was told I could use the same ProMaster "Nikon EN-EL14" replacement battery I had in my D5200, for the D5300. Can anyone confirm this?
I look forward to testing the D5300 to see exactly how much sharpness and detail is improved over the D5200!
Thank you!

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: 3rd Party compatible battery for D5300...
PBlais Silver Member
26th Jan 2014
stevelink3
27th Jan 2014
factotum
27th Jan 2014
stevelink3
27th Jan 2014
RRRoger Silver Member
27th Jan 2014
fabianbono
27th Jan 2014
RRRoger Silver Member
28th Jan 2014
fabianbono
28th Jan 2014

PBlais Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Jan 2014Sun 26-Jan-14 11:59 PM
310 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: 3rd Party compatible battery for D5300..."
In response to Reply # 0

Hayes, US

The 5300 has newer firmware to support the EN-EL14a battery that has a longer life (more amp hours). Firmware updates also support the same battery in other Nikon's too. It is said that the new firmware will disable some third party batteries. I don't don't know if your ProMaster is one of them. Many 3rd party batteries are rebranded so it's hard to know. I do know some 3rd party EN-EL14a batteries do work so I'm sure some of the EN-EL14 batteries will too, but not all of them.

As for sharpness. It may be better shooting .jpg images with the new processor but in raw mode it will mostly be the lens and the Photographer that will influence sharpness. The 5200 is still a pretty good camera and not that much different than the 5300. I'm sure you'll like the wifi built in and gps. The newer sensor may add some too. Given you have a 5300 now I suppose it's up to you to prove it to yourself. Better glass is never a bad idea though.

stevelink3 Registered since 20th Apr 2013Mon 27-Jan-14 09:10 PM
72 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: 3rd Party compatible battery for D5300..."
In response to Reply # 1

US

>The 5300 has newer firmware to support the EN-EL14a battery
>that has a longer life (more amp hours). Firmware updates also
>support the same battery in other Nikon's too. It is said that
>the new firmware will disable some third party batteries. I
>don't don't know if your ProMaster is one of them. Many 3rd
>party batteries are rebranded so it's hard to know. I do know
>some 3rd party EN-EL14a batteries do work so I'm sure some of
>the EN-EL14 batteries will too, but not all of them.
>
>As for sharpness. It may be better shooting .jpg images with
>the new processor but in raw mode it will mostly be the lens
>and the Photographer that will influence sharpness. The 5200
>is still a pretty good camera and not that much different than
>the 5300. I'm sure you'll like the wifi built in and gps. The
>newer sensor may add some too. Given you have a 5300 now I
>suppose it's up to you to prove it to yourself. Better glass
>is never a bad idea though.

Thank you for your informative reply! I have tried the ProMaster battery and it seems to "work" in the D5300, but haven't yet tested at length, so unsure of the drain rate. I did notice however, that with either the ProMaster or the Nikon-supplied battery, using wifi is a MAJOR drain on it, though I don't find a need to use wifi or GPS often, yet.
As for image sharpness, I found that the default jpegs are a bit on the "soft" side, but if I increase sharpness in settings, prior to post processing adjustments, I am now getting pretty darn high levels of sharpness and detail, thankfully!
Thanks again!

factotum Registered since 17th Jun 2007Mon 27-Jan-14 03:49 AM
342 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: 3rd Party compatible battery for D5300..."
In response to Reply # 0

US

Try it. The worst that can happen is the battery doesn't power the camera and you get an error message. Ssadly, Nikon is going ever more strongly in the "Nikon ONLY" direction with batteries, lenses and other goodies. Thom Hogan has a write-up about it on his site.

Let us know how that wifi works with the new camera. I'm considering it for this reason.

"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
Miss Piggy

stevelink3 Registered since 20th Apr 2013Mon 27-Jan-14 09:14 PM
#6. "RE: 3rd Party compatible battery for D5300..."
In response to Reply # 2

US

>Try it. The worst that can happen is the battery doesn't
>power the camera and you get an error message. Ssadly, Nikon
>is going ever more strongly in the "Nikon ONLY"
>direction with batteries, lenses and other goodies. Thom
>Hogan has a write-up about it on his site.
>
>Let us know how that wifi works with the new camera. I'm
>considering it for this reason.

Greetings, and thanks for the reply! Yes, I did try the wifi briefly, and easily got it set up and functioning with my iPhone 5. It is pretty cool, but frankly, I see it as an option mainly when I am too far from the camera to view the LCD. (I prefer to use the Nikon ML-L3 IR release instead, which works flawlessly as well, with no additional battery drain.)

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberMon 27-Jan-14 02:03 PM
3136 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: 3rd Party compatible battery for D5300..."
In response to Reply # 0

Monterey Bay, US

I've been using a Meike grip and two Vivatar batteries with no issues.

The three main advantages of the D5300 are much better monitor,
twice the High ISO performance and 1080P 60 Video.

fabianbono Registered since 16th Dec 2013Mon 27-Jan-14 08:29 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: 3rd Party compatible battery for D5300..."
In response to Reply # 3

AR

>I've been using a Meike grip and two Vivatar batteries with
>no issues.
>
>The three main advantages of the D5300 are much better
>monitor,
>twice the High ISO performance and 1080P 60 Video.
>

Hi Roger, do you have 5300 or 5200?
I have 5200 and Vivitar batteries too, but i´m not sure to update the firmware because I´m afraid these bateries will stop to work after that.

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberTue 28-Jan-14 02:46 PM
3136 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: 3rd Party compatible battery for D5300..."
In response to Reply # 4
Tue 28-Jan-14 02:48 PM by RRRoger

Monterey Bay, US

I have a D5300 and could not find "D5300" aftermarket grips.
So, I took a $32 money back guarenteed gamble on the Meike Vertical Battery Grip For Nikon D5200 Camera as EN-EL14 .
And $40 gamble on the (2 Pack) EN-EL14 Battery and Charger Kit for NIKON DSLR D5300 D5200 D5100 D3200 D3100, COOLPIX P7800 P7700 P7100 P7000 Cameras - Includes: 2 Vivitar U

Two reasons I got this setup:
1. Longer Battery life for Video recordings
2. Better fit on the Video Head of my TriPod.
The lense was so tight against the plate that I could not zoom.

The bonuses are:
1. Grip fits my hand and camera well.
2. The batteries seem to work better than the original.

My D5300 firmware is:
C 1.00
L 2.00

fabianbono Registered since 16th Dec 2013Tue 28-Jan-14 02:54 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: 3rd Party compatible battery for D5300..."
In response to Reply # 7

AR

My Vivitars also perform a little better than original Nikon battery on my D5200, that is why I like to be completely sure that the new firmware will not block them to be used on camera.
I will continue researching.
Thanks for sharing your experience!

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #9242 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.