nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Extended Warrenties on Cameras?

mcastfalk

US
3 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
mcastfalk Registered since 01st Dec 2009
Tue 01-Dec-09 03:47 PM

I have a couple questions on extended warrenties for cameras.

I just purchased a Nikon D5000, the kit with the extra VR lens. Best Buy was offering me an extended warrenty for 4 years at $179 on the camera and the lens it came with. It includes cleaning and maintenance each year for the camera (so I can take the camera and have it cleaned 4 times). It also will replace the camera or lens if it breaks, even from an accident or spill not just defects. (I'll never forget hiking part of the Appalachian Trail in Shenandoah NP and dropping my Pentax point & shoot film camera. Shattered the lens and needed to replace the camera.)

Since we have small children and this was a big purchase, I'm leaning towards purchasing the warrenty.

My questions are:

A. Does Nikon recommend (or from your experience is it good) to have routine, yearly cleanings of the camera body? How much do these typically cost on their own?

B. Has anyone had issues with the extended warrenties offered by sellers, particularly Best Buy?

C. I'm open to opinions on this, so please feel free to answer. Any feedback is appreciated. I'm usually not one for these warrenties, but I don't want to replace a $700 camera out of pocket either.

Thanks in advance.

Michael

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Extended Warrenties on Cameras?

G