Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #923
View in linear mode

Subject: "Extended Warrenties on Cameras?" Previous topic | Next topic
mcastfalk Registered since 01st Dec 2009Tue 01-Dec-09 03:47 PM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Extended Warrenties on Cameras?"

US

I have a couple questions on extended warrenties for cameras.

I just purchased a Nikon D5000, the kit with the extra VR lens. Best Buy was offering me an extended warrenty for 4 years at $179 on the camera and the lens it came with. It includes cleaning and maintenance each year for the camera (so I can take the camera and have it cleaned 4 times). It also will replace the camera or lens if it breaks, even from an accident or spill not just defects. (I'll never forget hiking part of the Appalachian Trail in Shenandoah NP and dropping my Pentax point & shoot film camera. Shattered the lens and needed to replace the camera.)

Since we have small children and this was a big purchase, I'm leaning towards purchasing the warrenty.

My questions are:

A. Does Nikon recommend (or from your experience is it good) to have routine, yearly cleanings of the camera body? How much do these typically cost on their own?

B. Has anyone had issues with the extended warrenties offered by sellers, particularly Best Buy?

C. I'm open to opinions on this, so please feel free to answer. Any feedback is appreciated. I'm usually not one for these warrenties, but I don't want to replace a $700 camera out of pocket either.

Thanks in advance.

Michael

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Extended Warrenties on Cameras?
MEMcD Moderator
01st Dec 2009
mcastfalk
01st Dec 2009
bryant1976
06th Dec 2009
blw Moderator
09th Dec 2009
mcastfalk
09th Dec 2009
blw Moderator
10th Dec 2009

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Tue 01-Dec-09 05:28 PM
25035 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Extended Warrenties on Cameras?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Michael,

Welcome to Nikonians!
Congratulations on your new D5000!

>A. Does Nikon recommend (or from your experience is it good)
>to have routine, yearly cleanings of the camera body? How much
>do these typically cost on their own?

No, I have not seen anything from Nikon recommending yearly service. I only clean the sensor when it is needed. The less you touch it the lower the risk of damaging the low pass filter.
The price for filter cleaning ranges from about $30.00 to $75.00 or so depending where you go. About $50.00 or so would be the average price. If Best Buy will be doing the service, get a price from them for a sensor cleaning.

>B. Has anyone had issues with the extended warranties offered
>by sellers, particularly Best Buy?

Never bought one!

>C. I'm open to opinions on this, so please feel free to
>answer. Any feedback is appreciated. I'm usually not one for
>these warranties, but I don't want to replace a $700 camera
>out of pocket either.

If they cover accidental damage and you have small children???
My nephew got to my sisters camera breaking the lens mount and the shutter release button on the body.
My daughter never touched my gear when she was little so it is your call as to the worth of the extended warranty!
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

mcastfalk Registered since 01st Dec 2009Tue 01-Dec-09 09:36 PM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Extended Warrenties on Cameras?"
In response to Reply # 1

US

Thanks Marty.

I had asked Best Buy about the camera cleaning and they couldn't give me an exact price. They said that they send it out to be serviced and the that camera is completely taken apart, cleaned and put back together. Sounds a bit excessive to me. I've had a Coolpix 5700 for about 7 or 8 years now and never had it pulled apart and cleaned. Then again, it is all one unit and Nikon took care of me on some issues 2 years ago - even when the camera was out of warrenty. That is why the got my business again.

My biggest concern is the children around the camera. If the camera needs to be cleaned regularly, then the cost would be worth it for the "warrenty". Even at $30 a cleaning, it would pay for itself and give me peace of mind. However, like I said about the Coolpix - never had an issue that Nikon didn't own up to. It is still working fine after all these years.

Thanks for the input.

Michael

bryant1976 Registered since 14th Oct 2009Sun 06-Dec-09 01:43 AM
9 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Extended Warrenties on Cameras?"
In response to Reply # 2

US

I purchased my D5000 from HHGregg...and they told that my 3 year extended warranty will cover accidental drops for lens and body. It cost $79...thought it would be good since they said they would replace it with a brand new d5000 if dropped. I asked over and over again...and they said it would be honored with no problems. The salesman even said I should drop it at 2.5 years..so I could get a new one...(I thought for a moment...LOL...).

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Wed 09-Dec-09 12:56 AM
26302 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#4. "RE: Extended Warrenties on Cameras?"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond, US

> Does Nikon recommend (or from your experience is it good) to have routine, yearly cleanings of the camera body?

The correct period for cleaning the sensor is "whenever it's dusty enough to cause problems with the image." And that can be far less than a year (I've had to do it three times in a day at least once) or it could be longer than a year. It depends on your photographic style (smaller apertures make dust more visible than large ones), your practices (do you change lenses a lot?), and your environment (changing lenses in your office is probably much less problematic than doing so in the desert). And there is more than one type of cleaning the sensor: the least intrusive (and least expensive) is a simple rocket blower that blows dust out. A rocket blower looks a lot like a turkey baster. For more stubborn dirt, you may need to do a "wet clean" - which involves sterile things that look like Q-tips with special thread-less materials and special cleaning fluid. Again, this might range from an activity you might have to do twice in a vacation or once every other year. (I haven't done a wet clean since early 2008, although I shoot two cameras, change lenses a lot in the field, and generally do a lot more photography by volume than most people.)

If you really mean cleaning the body, you don't want to do that. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Nikon have no preventative maintainance schedule.

I would not (and do not) take extended warranties on basically anything except a car. So far I have eight Nikon cameras and only one of them have required a repair that would have been covered by an extended warranty. I am not especially prone to accidents, though. If you are, that might be a good reason for the extended warranty.

Here's another way of looking at this. It will take a class C (ie fairly major) repair to cost more than the $179 price of the extended warranty. Accidents aside, the chances aren't good that you'll have a class C repair in the four years after your Nikon warranty expires. It could certainly happen, but the chances aren't high. Whether or not you have a failure, you're paying for a class B repair up front. Moreover, what do you think of the chances of your upgrading the camera and/or lens within five years? The warranty doesn't transfer.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

mcastfalk Registered since 01st Dec 2009Wed 09-Dec-09 10:38 AM
#5. "RE: Extended Warrenties on Cameras?"
In response to Reply # 4

US

Thanks Brian.

I did not take the warrenty. I'll have to be careful. I've had a Coolpix 5700 for 6 or 7 years now and no accidents. It also was sent back to Nikon both in and out of warrenty on their dime - which is one of the reasons they have my loyalty to their brand.

Best Buy was saying that they'd not only clean the camera, but completely take it apart to do the cleaning. I don't like that idea.

It sounds like we can clean the sensor ourselves? Is this easy enough to do? Is there a site with directions on how to do this?

I was changing the lenses or at least removing the lens to store the camera. I have stopped doing this and now have the lens I use the most attached to the camera and I don't remove it unless I have to. I store it with this lens attached as well. Is this ok to do?

Michael

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Thu 10-Dec-09 05:49 AM
26302 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#6. "RE: Extended Warrenties on Cameras?"
In response to Reply # 5

Richmond, US

> It sounds like we can clean the sensor ourselves?

Yes. Really, you need to learn how to do it. I know some folks always take it in to have it done, but I don't see doing that.

> Is this easy enough to do?

It really isn't very hard. Especially not the rocket blower:

1) set exposure mode to manual, then set shutter speed to BULB.
2) remove lens
3) turn camera so that the lens mount is facing down
4) press shutter release and hold; this opens the shutter and keeps it open
5) with the nozzle of the blower outside of the camera, blow several blasts of air up at the sensor
6) let go of shutter release
7) remount lens
8) return exposure mode and shutter speed.
9) delete resulting "picture"

And I probably made it sound a lot harder than it is. Seriously, this is a 20-second operation or less.

If you have to do a wet clean, I recommend the stuff from Copper Hill Imaging. It comes with good directions. As I noted above, I haven't had to do a wet clean in almost two years, or about 30,000 frames, and I would think that I'm a bit more at risk than most other folks.

> I store it with this lens attached as well. Is this ok to do?

That's what I do. I've always just plopped the camera with a lens into a camera bag, and they've always been fine with that. So far my Nikons have made it as long as 26 years without issues... If you're not going to use it for a while (a month) take the battery out. Obviously store them away from excessive humidity and heat. I sometimes store the camera with no lens, but I put a body cap on immediately. The cameras are a bit easier to put in smaller spaces that way.

Just use common sense. The cameras are a LOT more rugged than most people give them credit.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #923 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.