Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #9228
View in linear mode

Subject: "D3000 replacement SD door" Previous topic | Next topic
ashley1 Silver Member Nikonian since 31st Jul 2006Sat 18-Jan-14 02:14 AM
5 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D3000 replacement SD door"

Rochester, US

Can you replace a broken sd door without taking it to a camera store or sending it out to Nikon? The last time I sent my camera out for repair it took forever to get it back & I use this for my business.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D3000 replacement SD door
pjonesCET Gold Member
19th Jan 2014
ashley1 Silver Member
23rd Jan 2014
MEMcD Moderator
19th Jan 2014
ashley1 Silver Member
23rd Jan 2014
Dean51 Silver Member
19th Jan 2014
ashley1 Silver Member
23rd Jan 2014

pjonesCET Gold Member Nikonian since 11th Jul 2011Sun 19-Jan-14 03:59 AM
543 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#1. "RE: D3000 replacement SD door"
In response to Reply # 0
Sun 19-Jan-14 04:04 AM by pjonesCET

Martinsville, US

I wouldn't risk it. Whether or not its out or warranty. Unless you broke it and you signed up for the 5 year warranty at least the parts should be covered. Odds are its not just the door that needs changing more than likely the part of the body it is attached to will need changing as well.
If your close to a real Camera store (not Sears or Walley-World) maybe they would let you rent a Camera.

Or maybe you should consider purchasing another so while you getting you main camera fixed you can use your backup.

You have some nice pictures in you gallery. I like the Squirrels.

Phillip M Jones, CET
pjonescet@comcast.net
http://www.phillipmjones.net/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/pjonescet/

ashley1 Silver Member Nikonian since 31st Jul 2006Thu 23-Jan-14 01:37 PM
5 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D3000 replacement SD door"
In response to Reply # 1

Rochester, US

Thank you for your suggestions. Also, that you like the squirrels. Took them from my house of my neighbors eave where they were living. Loved watching them.I actually took them to show him I was telling the truth. lol. That hole is now boarded up, but not before he had birds living in it too.

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Sun 19-Jan-14 05:13 AM
25549 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D3000 replacement SD door"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Dianne,

Depending on where the door broke, you could probibly repair it yourself if you are reasonably good with tools. The problem will be getting the parts. Nikon USA will only sell most parts to nikon Authorized Service Stations, though there are some parts that they consider User Replaceable that they will sell to the public. I am not sure about the SD Cover Door.

Try calling a Nikon Authorized Service Station like:
Photo-Tech
360 West 36th Street
New York, NY 10018
Phone: 212-673-8400
Fax: 212-673-8451
They might be able to make the repair while you wait.

The alternative would be Nikon Service in Mellville, NY.

Best Regards,
Marty

ashley1 Silver Member Nikonian since 31st Jul 2006Thu 23-Jan-14 01:41 PM
#5. "RE: D3000 replacement SD door"
In response to Reply # 2

Rochester, US

Thanks Marty. I wouldn't be able to wait for it however, I live in upper NY & right now I'm in Florida. Good to know the name. I do have a replacement door for it.

Dean51 Silver Member Nikonian since 10th May 2013Sun 19-Jan-14 05:24 AM
43 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D3000 replacement SD door"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I replaced the broken SD door on my daughters D3000 about a year ago and it has been working good as new ever since. From what I could tell she "over extended" the door and being it is made from plastic it bent to to point that it wouldn't stay shut. I found the part on eBay if I remember right and watched a couple YouTube videos about the replacement procedure (search for D3000 or D3100 SD door replacement and you'll find them). All it took was a small jewelers screw driver and a pair of small needle nose pliers and in about ten minutes the camera was back to good as new. Proceed cautiously and carefully as one wrong move could break or damage something else far more costly.

Note, I would never do this if I was unsure or on the D7100 that she has now. But I figured the D3000 was her entry level camera and the cost of sending it in for repair would not have been money well spent. I believe the new door cost around $15. Now the D3000 is my wife's first DSLR and door and camera still work just like new.

ashley1 Silver Member Nikonian since 31st Jul 2006Thu 23-Jan-14 01:50 PM
#6. "RE: D3000 replacement SD door"
In response to Reply # 3

Rochester, US

Thanks Dean. I did find the video on youtube, & my husband did try & fix it. I bought the door on ebay too. He doesn't want to try anymore for fear of breaking something. The video looks easy, but he is just not sure about it. I would love the D7000 but it will be awhile before I get that. Thanks again

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #9228 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.