Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #9207
View in linear mode

Subject: "Decent weather to use the D3100 + comparison with x pro..." Previous topic | Next topic
Grumpy old Man Registered since 08th Jan 2014Fri 10-Jan-14 04:46 PM
10 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Decent weather to use the D3100 + comparison with x pro 1"

GB

Sun was shining so jumped out of bed early for a change. Went up to the coast to put the 18-200 lens through it`s paces on the d3100.

More than pleased with the results and even more pleased with the light weight to carry around.(can`t believe I`m enjoying an entry level camera so much after years of pro gear)

Whilst shooting and being parked close I did a few comparisons. the fuji x 18-55 IS lens at various focal lengths vs the Nikon 18-200 at as near a focal length as poss( hand held and nothing special)The nikon zoom beats the fuji zoom for sharpness a definition, IMHO colour was also a tad better from the Nikon but that is easily fixed.(remember the fuji sensor doesn`t have an AA filter) I don`t have any nikon primes so I had to put the nikon zoom up against the Fuji 35mm f1.4 at various subjects and F stops. Got home , loaded the images and waited for the BIG gap in the prime vs zoom images!!! had to check to actually make sure which was which although like before the nikon colours were more natural but as far as res and sharpness out of the camera I could maybe see just a hint that the fuji prime was a very small fraction ahead.I called my wife who has eyes and ears like a well honed wild beast and if anything she came down on the side of the nikon zoom( I didn`t tell her which was which side by side on a 27" Dell monitor)
Well I never put up images so you`ll have to take my word for it, OK enough pixel peeping for today me thinks.

What would have made it more interesting would have been to throw the 5d3 into the mix with maybe Canon + Contax lenses but I think that would be going a touch too far.

I certainly don`t regret buying that zoom over a shorter focal range one.
Just thought I`d share for anyone considering the Nikon combo.

BTW I was a federation photographic judge for a number of years and although I could never hope to be a really expert photographer I sure know whats good or bad.(you don`t need to be able to play a violin to know when one is being played well;-)

Dave

I feel much better now I`ve given up hope

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Fri 10-Jan-14 05:08 PM
28674 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Decent weather to use the D3100 + comparison with x pro 1"
In response to Reply # 0

Paignton, GB

Thanks for your post

I suspect at least some of the differences you are seeing are down to the settings used on the two cameras. I currently own the X-Pro1 with 18-55mm and 35mm lenses, and previously owned an 18-200mm Nikkor and used it on a D80 and D300 - though I've not used them side-by-side. The 18-200mm was a fine all-round lens, but it could not match the performance of either Fuji lens in resolution, distortion and other aberrations.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

Grumpy old Man Registered since 08th Jan 2014Fri 10-Jan-14 06:07 PM
10 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Decent weather to use the D3100 + comparison with x pro 1"
In response to Reply # 1

GB

Hi Brian

Yeh, I was very surprised my self to be honest. I`ll work on some raws over the weekend and look real close. I have only just purchased the 18-200 so maybe it has been upgraded or it`s a particularly good example. I`ve always been very pleased with the fuji lenses and the x pro. Maybe a controlled test on tripod out of the wind will show something different.

Dave

Grumpy old Man Registered since 08th Jan 2014Fri 10-Jan-14 06:53 PM
#3. "RE: Decent weather to use the D3100 + comparison with x pro 1"
In response to Reply # 2

GB

Brian

Processed some raws after a rest and that has made quite a difference. The images are quite close now but choosing the images with a bit more care to push them there is croma in the nikon images and the corners from the nikon zoom definitely can`t match the fuji corners. In general though considering the quality of the Fuji`s which have always been renowned I think it`s quite a decent show from such a wide focal ranged zoom lens and after a bit of tweaking the croma should be under control but the corners won`t be. So! as a one lens walk-a-bout I think the Nikon is fit for purpose, so nice to not having to keep changing lenses.

BTW I am aware of the quality of the Fuji`s, I have the 14mm that is a good challenger for my old type Contax 21 2.8 on FF where the corners from the Fuji are maybe just a tad ahead which is a thing I never thought I`d see.

Thanks for replying

Dave

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #9207 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.