Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #9185
View in linear mode

Subject: "Return to Nikon" Previous topic | Next topic
Grumpy old Man Registered since 08th Jan 2014Wed 08-Jan-14 10:20 AM
10 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Return to Nikon"

GB

Just returned to Nikon by purchasing a special offer D3100 as a light walk-about camera after a mild heart attack.
I purchased the latest 18-200 VR lens and am very pleased with it. I just wonder after seeing the great results and the ease with which I can carry this gear around if I should have maybe purchased the D3200 or the coming D3300. Is maybe 24 million pixels pushing this lens a bit too far maybe? I must admit the new body without the AA filter looks very attractive but will the lens do it justice? Maybe someone who uses 24 million pixels with that lens would be kind enough to give some advice please.

I was always a Nikon man till I had a break in at home and all my gear was stolen just at the time when Canon brought out the first IS lenses and I swapped camps. I have quite a collection of Canon gear + lenses and many alternative MF lenses but carrying the heavy gear is getting harder now( 69)but the D3100 has really liberated me along with just the single lens which covers 95% of what I need.I really did think that the entry level camera would be an also ran but for a basic camera (after using top of the range gear)is very intuitive and things like AF are well up on par. I can walk the beaches up near my home again with a camera:-)

Thanks

I feel much better now I`ve given up hope

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Return to Nikon
Daymon55
08th Jan 2014
Grumpy old Man
08th Jan 2014
Grumpy old Man
08th Jan 2014
MEMcD Moderator
09th Jan 2014
Grumpy old Man
09th Jan 2014
f5titan Gold Member
09th Jan 2014
Grumpy old Man
09th Jan 2014
Snappo Silver Member
13th Jan 2014
Grumpy old Man
14th Jan 2014
BillKC
17th Jan 2014
PBlais Silver Member
27th Jan 2014
gaopa Silver Member
02nd Feb 2014

Daymon55 Registered since 10th Oct 2013Wed 08-Jan-14 10:46 AM
134 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Return to Nikon"
In response to Reply # 0

Godalming, GB

Good stuff.

I just picked up a D3200 for my wife and it's a great little camera, I did look at the D3100 as well

Put up some beach shots when you have them!

Grumpy old Man Registered since 08th Jan 2014Wed 08-Jan-14 11:11 AM
10 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Return to Nikon"
In response to Reply # 1

GB

>Good stuff.
>
>I just picked up a D3200 for my wife and it's a great little
>camera, I did look at the D3100 as well
>
>Put up some beach shots when you have them!

I`ve only just started with the camera but the first 5 images on this gallery
http://www.pbase.com/davechilvers/latest_images

are the D3100 + 18-200, nothing special but the combo works and the thought of the D3300 with no AA filter has me going but will that lens fall down with that resolution?

Grumpy old Man Registered since 08th Jan 2014Wed 08-Jan-14 01:23 PM
#3. "RE: Return to Nikon"
In response to Reply # 2

GB

I`ve had a good read around the net with regards the 18-200 on the later 24 million pixel sensors and the general indication is that that sensor does(as expected) need the finest glas Which doesn`t mean to say that the D3300 sensor minus AA filter wouldn`t start to bridge the gap but of course the D3300 is new so very little info as yet.

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Thu 09-Jan-14 05:12 AM
26126 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Return to Nikon"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Dave,

Welcome to Nikonians!

Congratulations on your new D3100 and 18-200mm.

14.2 megapixels is more than adequate for most Users.
Ask yourself:
What do I shoot (Subject(s)?

Do I shoot Raw or Jpeg?

How large do I print?

The answers to these questions should help you determine if you need the additional resolution.

Best Regards,
Marty

Grumpy old Man Registered since 08th Jan 2014Thu 09-Jan-14 10:22 AM
#6. "RE: Return to Nikon"
In response to Reply # 4

GB

>Hi Dave,
>
>Welcome to Nikonians!
>
>Congratulations on your new D3100 and 18-200mm.
>
>14.2 megapixels is more than adequate for most Users.
>Ask yourself:
>What do I shoot (Subject(s)?
>
>Do I shoot Raw or Jpeg?
>
>How large do I print?
>
>The answers to these questions should help you determine if
>you need the additional resolution.

Hi Marty

I suppose we all want our cake and eat it, It would be good to not only have a combo that is easier to carry and to still be able to get images that have plenty of leeway to add to my 4,500 images that are up on Alamy. I always shoot raw + jpeg and shoot anything that catches my eye.
The question is, the extra res would be good to have from a crop if need be point of view, I fancy the AA less d3300 but the main point that no one seems to be prepared to answer a specific one " how does the 18-200 perform on the 24 million pixel camera" whether or not one needs another camera.
It certainly works fine on the d3100 with care. I can`t imagine that no one has used that actual lens on the later sensors.

If I had to make an educated guess I would say that probably even top notch lenses might struggle but you never know.My 24-105 Canon just about hangs onto itself on the 5d3 but my old original ContaxMM MF lenses are still superb.

Thanks

f5titan Gold Member Nikonian since 12th Jul 2006Thu 09-Jan-14 07:50 AM
719 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Return to Nikon"
In response to Reply # 0

HILO, US

A newer camera body will do one of two things with a given lens, show the faults in the lens design or indicate strengths in the optical design not noted previously.
I use MF and AF lenses some of which are the latest and some from 20, 30, 40 and 50 years ago. I enjoy the results from all of them and since I don't pixel peep I'm probably unaware of many things I probably should be worried about!
You body/lens combination will provide excellent results...

"Great things are not done by impulse but by a series of small things brought together." Vincent Van Gogh

Grumpy old Man Registered since 08th Jan 2014Thu 09-Jan-14 10:59 AM
#7. "RE: Return to Nikon"
In response to Reply # 5

GB

>A newer camera body will do one of two things with a given
>lens, show the faults in the lens design or indicate strengths
>in the optical design not noted previously.
>I use MF and AF lenses some of which are the latest and some
>from 20, 30, 40 and 50 years ago. I enjoy the results from all
>of them and since I don't pixel peep I'm probably unaware of
>many things I probably should be worried about!
>You body/lens combination will provide excellent results...

Hi
Yeh, I do agree with much of what you say and I am certainly enjoying the 18-200 on the d3100.
I remember some years ago buying a basic zoom from Canon( can`t remember now whether it was a 75-300 or 70-300) it was a base model and was the one you might remember focused differently when you turned the camera vertical. Anyway, it was sent in for upgrade and somewhere along the line it was lost and i didn`t replace it but boy that copy was a superb lens (I think it was around £300)so sometimes the cheapo lenses can really perform well and be light and easy to carry. It`s a double edge sword at times, a really good lens can`t always show it`s brilliance on a lower res sensor just as a cheap lens falls to pieces when put on a higher res sensor.
Unfortunately as the years pile on I am having to make compromises re what I can comfortably carry and like most photographers still want the best results I can get.
I`ve been trying to train my wife up and get her fitted out with a Domke vest and use her as my camera bag(no pun intended) as she is somewhat younger than me but she ain`t having none of it At least the long end of the lens is saving the legs a bit.

Thanks

Snappo Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Apr 2004Mon 13-Jan-14 05:53 PM
290 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Return to Nikon"
In response to Reply # 7

Tulsa, US

Dave, we have two 24 mg cameras, both of which are used with an 18-200 mm lens as the walk around lens. After a few thousand images, my feeling is it does a fine job.

an old duffer with the time to have fun,
Jim

Grumpy old Man Registered since 08th Jan 2014Tue 14-Jan-14 09:14 AM
#9. "RE: Return to Nikon"
In response to Reply # 8

GB

Thanks Jim

Dave

BillKC Registered since 17th Jan 2014Fri 17-Jan-14 12:29 PM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Return to Nikon"
In response to Reply # 9

US

I have been thinking about getting a D3100 for my lighter, smaller walk around body to replace my D70.

I think dynamic range is more important than the number of megapixels the sensor has. A D3100 would be a big improvement over my D70 with regards to dynamic range. 14 megapixels is more than enough for me.

Enjoy your new D3100. I'm sure your photos will look great.

Bill

PBlais Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Jan 2014Mon 27-Jan-14 12:23 AM
482 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Return to Nikon"
In response to Reply # 10

Hayes, US

I just upgraded from a D3100 to a D5200. MegaPixels was not the issue nor do I suddenly find the increase (12 to 24) to be the issue that led me to upgrade. Good glass and learning to shoot still counts way more then MegaPixels. While an entry level camera, the D3100 packs most of the best Nikon can offer. The only serious short coming I found was the kit 18-55mm lens. You can buy a better lense and notice the difference quickly. The 50mm f/1.4 and the similar 35mm are the cheapest of the the Nikon primes and will change your life if you learn to shoot them! I like the smaller f stops for doing the kind of shooting I like to do and that really is what it is all about. You need to find what YOU really like like to shoot. You'll do better at it and having the camera fit those needs is what it means. A new lens might be more than you need. If you want to shoot wildlife then you don't need a new camera, you need to mortgage the house and buy glass.

The D3100 is a great light weight camera that you'll easily carry and therefore have handy to shoot!

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

gaopa Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Jul 2003Sun 02-Feb-14 02:11 PM
553 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Return to Nikon"
In response to Reply # 11

Hartwell, US

I agree with Jim. I picked up a D3200 as a walk about camera and mounted a second generation 18-200 VR lens on it. This body/lens combo is great! Cheers, Bill P.

Georgia Opa

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #9185 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.