Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #9143
View in linear mode

Subject: "D5300 firmware requests" Previous topic | Next topic
RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberTue 31-Dec-13 03:59 PM
3170 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D5300 firmware requests"

Monterey Bay, US

I know that Nikon monitors these forums.

I will make my firmware update request here where others can join in
with things that actually might be able to do with the software..

1.Continuous multiple files while shooting Video.
a. I would like to shoot 1080P 60 movies for 90+ minutes without restarting my camera.
b. Panasonic cameras have had this capability for years.
Nikon can surely add this?

2. All buttons programmable.
It would be great to have more control.

3. Add Battery info as per percentage left.
The little ICON shows a full battery when at half full.

4. Add Crop Modes.

5. Improve AF-A and Subject Tracking for objects in motion.

6. Improve AF-F to lock on subject better instead of hunting.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D5300 firmware requests
jec6613 Silver Member
01st Jan 2014
RRRoger Silver Member
01st Jan 2014
RRRoger Silver Member
09th Jan 2014
jec6613 Silver Member
09th Jan 2014
RRRoger Silver Member
09th Jan 2014
jec6613 Silver Member
10th Jan 2014
RRRoger Silver Member
10th Jan 2014
jec6613 Silver Member
10th Jan 2014
pjonesCET Gold Member
11th Jan 2014
RRRoger Silver Member
11th Jan 2014
pjonesCET Gold Member
11th Jan 2014
Leonard62 Gold Member
11th Jan 2014
stevelink3
18th Feb 2014
stevelink3
18th Feb 2014
RRRoger Silver Member
18th Feb 2014
pjonesCET Gold Member
19th Feb 2014
RRRoger Silver Member
19th Feb 2014
DVDMike Silver Member
24th Mar 2014
RRRoger Silver Member
24th Mar 2014

jec6613 Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Feb 2013Wed 01-Jan-14 02:38 PM
668 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D5300 firmware requests"
In response to Reply # 0

Norwalk, US

Just a minor point: #3 would require moving to the EN-EL15 battery, as the EN-EL14 does not report percentages to the device.

Traveling Connecticut Nikonian

D7100 | 16-85 | 70-300 VR | 35 f/1.8 DX | 50 f/1.8 | 85 f/1.8 (and other gear, too!)

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberWed 01-Jan-14 03:09 PM
3170 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D5300 firmware requests"
In response to Reply # 1
Wed 01-Jan-14 03:11 PM by RRRoger

Monterey Bay, US

>Just a minor point: #3 would require moving to the EN-EL15
>battery, as the EN-EL14 does not report percentages to the
>device.<<<Quote

Very interesting, Perhaps the (unreleased or an aftermarket) grip could use that battery?
Or Nikon could come out with an EN-EL 14b?

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberThu 09-Jan-14 07:27 PM
#3. "RE: D5300 firmware requests"
In response to Reply # 2

Monterey Bay, US

What surprises me about this forum is the lack of interest in the D5300,
or unlocking it's potential.

Seems to me that this D3xxx and D5xxx group of photographers are much more interested in getting the cheapest camera that will get them by.

jec6613 Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Feb 2013Thu 09-Jan-14 10:00 PM
668 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D5300 firmware requests"
In response to Reply # 3

Norwalk, US

>Very interesting, Perhaps the (unreleased or an aftermarket)
>grip could use that battery?
>Or Nikon could come out with an EN-EL 14b?

An EN-EL14b wouldn't change things without breaking EN-EL14 and EN-EL14a compatibility, as the protocols wouldn't match up. A grip, to do that, would require input into the camera besides through the battery bay, vis-à-vis the D7100 or similar. With lower capacity batteries, this is a bit of the price you pay.

As for full button programmability ... meh. I'd create more headaches than it solves. A Fn button would be nice on a D5400, but that's a whole new body.

In terms of AF performance, I noticed similar issues while trying out a D610, and on my D5200 as well, so it seems to be a problem in the Multi-CAM 4800 AF module itself, where the older 11 point module of the D5100 tended to outperform it in low light. It's why when I replaced my D5200 under no-lemon, I bought up to a D7100, to get the Multi-CAM 3500DX module. It honestly doesn't seem like there's anything extra to squeeze out of that module, and it's one major hang-up I have when I think about which small plastic body to buy to go with the D7100.

As for video ... eh, power cycling the camera goes very quickly, and I suspect if you leave it on too long, you'll melt the sensor.

D7100 | 16-85 | 70-300 VR | 35 f/1.8 DX | 50 f/1.8 | 85 f/1.8 (and other gear, too!)

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberThu 09-Jan-14 11:12 PM
#5. "RE: D5300 firmware requests"
In response to Reply # 4

Monterey Bay, US

I am currently using a Meinke D5200 grip sucessfully on my D5300.
However, not knowing how much battery is left drives me crazy.
The battery has to be almost empty before the little ICON changes if at all.
I assume it works or why even have it visable?

I want to be able to program the buttons that are already there.
For instance: I do not need two info buttons.

The AF on the D5300 is already better than the D5200 or D7000.
I think with the Expeed 4 processor it could be better yet.

I want unattended Video.
I often "power cycle" just hit the video button again many times in up to two hours of Video.
The D5300 has never gotten very hot.

jec6613 Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Feb 2013Fri 10-Jan-14 01:43 AM
#6. "RE: D5300 firmware requests"
In response to Reply # 5

Norwalk, US

Because of the spikey nature of a DSLR's battery draw, most meters are kind of all over the place. A larger battery (such as in the EN-EL15) takes care of that mostly, but the smaller EN-EL14 doesn't have that. The Df suffers from the same trouble.

I used a grip (three different ones, actually) with my D5100 and D5200, and eventually gave it up as anything other than an extra hand-hold, because it would drain only one battery. If I needed more power, I would have picked up one of the shore power adapters.

As for heat, how would you know if the sensor is hot? You have an entire circuit board and polycarbonate body between the sensor and you, for starters. Hot sensors make for hot pixels, among other issues, and there's basically nowhere for the heat to go in the plastic bodies.

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberFri 10-Jan-14 04:30 AM
#7. "RE: D5300 firmware requests"
In response to Reply # 6

Monterey Bay, US

>
>As for heat, how would you know if the sensor is hot? You
>have an entire circuit board and polycarbonate body between
>the sensor and you, for starters. Hot sensors make for hot
>pixels, among other issues, and there's basically nowhere for
>the heat to go in the plastic bodies.<<<

Well, I have had or used just about every Nikon DSLR.
Both, the D3 and my "hybrid" V1 would get very hot to the touch sometimes. And even the D5200 got hotter.
I put my D5300 "to the test"
and neither did it feel hot nor were there and malfunctions at all.

jec6613 Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Feb 2013Fri 10-Jan-14 01:22 PM
#8. "RE: D5300 firmware requests"
In response to Reply # 7

Norwalk, US

>Well, I have had or used just about every Nikon DSLR.
>Both, the D3 and my "hybrid" V1 would get very hot
>to the touch sometimes. And even the D5200 got hotter.
>I put my D5300 "to the test"
> and neither did it feel hot nor were there and malfunctions
>at all.

That's the Expeed 2/3 chip getting hot though, and the Expeed 4 runs a lot cooler. My D5200 would get hot as well, but to the right of the sensor where the chip was, not at the sensor itself.

pjonesCET Gold Member Nikonian since 11th Jul 2011Sat 11-Jan-14 01:19 AM
574 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#9. "RE: D5300 firmware requests"
In response to Reply # 3

Martinsville, US

As a Retired electronics technician I'm not interested in the 5xxx series not about Price but because of the swivel display. Having to repair many items with flexible lines (broken off from PC board) I'm leery of anything that moves such as these displays.

Would I love to have a 7000 Series or even a full frame 800e sure. But finances precludes me getting into Full Frame. And I am not experienced enough to use a 7xxxx yet.

Phillip M Jones, CET
pjonescet@comcast.net
http://www.phillipmjones.net/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/pjonescet/
http://www.phillipjones-cet.net

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberSat 11-Jan-14 03:14 AM
#10. "RE: D5300 firmware requests"
In response to Reply # 9
Sat 11-Jan-14 03:16 AM by RRRoger

Monterey Bay, US

>As a Retired electronics technician I'm not interested in the 5xxx series
not about Price but because of the swivel display.
Having to repair many items with flexible lines (broken off from PC board)
I'm leery of anything that moves such as these displays.
><<<

I have not nor has anyone I know of had problems with the Nikon swivel displays.

I would suggest you look at the cheaper new D300
but it's screen also swivels.
So does the one on the GH3.

pjonesCET Gold Member Nikonian since 11th Jul 2011Sat 11-Jan-14 08:18 PM
574 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#11. "RE: D5300 firmware requests"
In response to Reply # 10

Martinsville, US

Not saying The swivel Mech. on Nikon camera is not great. Just saying. Based on my experience in Electronics field I shy away from anything that flexes like these screens.

I have even had the screen go bad in one of my 3200's because it got unplugged internally or a cable broke (description of problem from the repair station). I always use the strap when not on a Tripod. Just in normal days use. (took them nearly six months to get it fixed, purchased through Sears).

As for going to Camera such as 800 its not just the cost of the camera, it’s the cost of the lens just an average lens is two three times the price of DX lens.

And as said I'm not experienced enough to switch to a 800 camera. Maybe work my way up to a 7000 series.

Phillip M Jones, CET
pjonescet@comcast.net

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Sat 11-Jan-14 10:37 PM
3106 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: D5300 firmware requests"
In response to Reply # 3

Hatboro, Pa, US

>What surprises me about this forum is the lack of interest in
>the D5300,
>or unlocking it's potential.
>
>Seems to me that this D3xxx and D5xxx group of photographers
>are much more interested in getting the cheapest camera that
>will get them by.
>
>

I just bought the D5300 last week to replace my D5100. Even though I have a D800 and a D3X I bought the D5300 for it's performance, mainly it's high resolution and lack of AA filter. It's Nikon's highest resolution camera. Also because I can use non-AI mf lenses without breaking anything. I use it for lens testing, both AF and MF lenses. I exclusively use Liveview with the camera mounted on a tripod. The articulating LCD is a back saver. What I found out so far is the WB is improved as well as the resolution which now gives me higher resolution head room. However I also find there is a hesitation when focusing using Liveview at 100%. With an AFS lens there is a lag of a a second or two before the screen pops into focus. The D5100 didn't do that.

Len

stevelink3 Registered since 20th Apr 2013Tue 18-Feb-14 01:18 AM
72 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: D5300 firmware requests"
In response to Reply # 12

US

>>What surprises me about this forum is the lack of
>interest in
>>the D5300,
>>or unlocking it's potential.
>>
>>Seems to me that this D3xxx and D5xxx group of
>photographers
>>are much more interested in getting the cheapest camera
>that
>>will get them by.
>>
>>
>
>I just bought the D5300 last week to replace my D5100. Even
>though I have a D800 and a D3X I bought the D5300 for it's
>performance, mainly it's high resolution and lack of AA
>filter. It's Nikon's highest resolution camera. Also because I
>can use non-AI mf lenses without breaking anything. I use it
>for lens testing, both AF and MF lenses. I exclusively use
>Liveview with the camera mounted on a tripod. The articulating
>LCD is a back saver. What I found out so far is the WB is
>improved as well as the resolution which now gives me higher
>resolution head room. However I also find there is a
>hesitation when focusing using Liveview at 100%. With an AFS
>lens there is a lag of a a second or two before the screen
>pops into focus. The D5100 didn't do that.
>
>Len
>
Hi Len. I see you do lens testing with the D5300. Awesome! Have you by any chance, gotten to test any macro ("Micro) lenses with the D5300? I'm looking at the 85 f/3.5 Micro-Nikkor, as I've read that it's quite sharp and substantially less costly than the 105 f/2.8 (and "Sharpness" is my middle name!). Thank you, Steve
>

stevelink3 Registered since 20th Apr 2013Tue 18-Feb-14 01:09 AM
72 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: D5300 firmware requests"
In response to Reply # 3

US

>What surprises me about this forum is the lack of interest in
>the D5300,
>or unlocking it's potential.
>
>Seems to me that this D3xxx and D5xxx group of photographers
>are much more interested in getting the cheapest camera that
>will get them by.
>
>
RRR, As a new user of the D5300, I for one, am MOST interested in its potential as an image-making device, since I bought it specifically for its 24 meg sensor, Expeed 4 engine, and most importantly, the lack of an OLPF! So far, I only use the 16-85 Nikkor, itself a very sharp lens, but am looking to acquire a good macro ("Micro") for it, which I feel will take most advantage of the great resolution of this system! Thank you,
Steve

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberTue 18-Feb-14 03:02 AM
#15. "RE: D5300 firmware requests"
In response to Reply # 13

Monterey Bay, US

What would you like to see changed or added in firmware?
Please exclude anything that requires a hardware change.

Continuous recording is still my #1 item.
I need a camera that can record 1 1/2 hours unattended.
The GH3 does a good job of that, but I think Nikon can do better
if they will just uncripple their firmware.

pjonesCET Gold Member Nikonian since 11th Jul 2011Wed 19-Feb-14 02:48 PM
#16. "RE: D5300 firmware requests"
In response to Reply # 3
Wed 19-Feb-14 02:55 PM by pjonesCET

Martinsville, US

As Previously I am not a fan of the 5000 series because of that movable display. setting that aside.

I have not long bought my 3200's one just a Few months (back in late summer) before the 3300 came out. I would love to have the 3300 instead because of the feature where Nikon removed the screen to prevent moire. I already have the Piece to allow geo-positioning Which I have yet to get to work and there was another extra Piece that the 3300 had built in I also have as an add on, which I can use my iPad to to shoot my camera remotely. Those pieces I would have wasted money on. My next camera would be a 7200 or 7300 when they come out.

Its not that we want to cheap out. Its most people that that stay in 3000-5000 series do so because of Budget.

Some of you think nothing about Plunking down $5-6-10 K for a lens and can take it out of your front pocket as pocket Change. I have difficulty keeping 20 bucks, in that front pocket.

Phillip M Jones, CET
pjonescet@comcast.net

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberWed 19-Feb-14 04:40 PM
#17. "RE: D5300 firmware requests"
In response to Reply # 16
Thu 20-Feb-14 03:56 PM by RRRoger

Monterey Bay, US

>quote
>I have not long bought my 3200's one just a Few months (back
>in late summer) before the 3300 came out. I would love to
>have the 3300 instead because of the feature where Nikon
>removed the screen to prevent moire.<<<<quote

Taking out the screen does not remove moire it sharpens the image.

>quote
>Its not that we want to cheap out. Its most people that that
>stay in 3000-5000 series do so because of Budget.
>
>Some of you think nothing about Plunking down $5-6-10 K for a
>lens and can take it out of your front pocket as pocket
>Change. I have difficulty keeping 20 bucks, in that front
>pocket. <<<quote

I consider a high quality lens an investment, even though it is not pocket change for me.
That money is not lost, if you buy used they often go up in value.

As for camera bodies, they are obsolete by the time they are released.
Only in times of shortage and high demand will you get more than you paid.

The D5300 happens to have more of the features I need than any other Nikon Camera so I bought it.
It will be surpassed when the D4s comes out and again when the D7200 is released.

What we need now is a free firmware update for all Nikon HDSLR bodies.
Unlock the software by adding contiuous 4GB segments for continous recording at least in NTSC mode.

DVDMike Silver Member Nikonian since 25th Mar 2003Mon 24-Mar-14 11:05 AM
2213 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "RE: D5300 firmware requests"
In response to Reply # 16

Metro Atlanta, US

One of the primary reasons I purchased a 5100 was specifically because it had a swivel screen! I've had no problems with it. I only wish that the single digit nikonian had this. But if you are worried about it breaking due to using it, just keep it in the same fixed position.

Continuous unattended video shooting is required of any serious video camera. Nikon is saying that they are not serious about video if they cannot or will not do this. The 5000 series cameras are not geared towards professionals. But the 800, which is, doesn't have a way to do unattended long video capture either. Does the new D4s? If they don't have it on the D4s, they aren't adding firmware on the D5300 to allow it.

Only serious professional wildlife photographers and news outlets are plunking down $5-10k on lenses, and none of them are using 5000 series cameras, so I don't understand that pay any price for lens comment at all. Do you know how far away from your subject you need to be to even use a 600mm lens (10k range) on a DX camera? That pretty much is useful ONLY for wildlife. Anyone shooting wildlife from that distance is using a d800 or Dx series camera with a 10k lens.

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberMon 24-Mar-14 02:45 PM
#19. "RE: D5300 firmware requests"
In response to Reply # 18

Monterey Bay, US

>Quote
>Only serious professional wildlife photographers and news
>outlets are plunking down $5-10k on lenses, and none of them
>are using 5000 series cameras, so I don't understand that pay
>any price for lens comment at all. <<<Quote

You would be surprised how many "Pro" Photographers own D5000 series cameras.
Some even use them for a "cheap" B camera, and a lot more would if they could be operated unattended.
Not only are they cheap compared to a "Pro" Camera,
but the D5300 is surprisingly tough with it's composit body.
They use the same material in the new bullet resistant combat helmets.

As for $5-10k lens, I would not plunk down that cash without looking for a mint used one first.
That money must not only be considered an investment in my work
but also an investment that can sometimes pay dividends when resold.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #9143 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.