Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #9072
View in linear mode

Subject: "Info display" Previous topic | Next topic
Puddlepyrate2013 Moderator Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2013Thu 05-Dec-13 08:21 PM
189 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Info display"

Portsmouth, US

Does the info display on the d5300 rotate like it did on the d5000. I have looked in the Manuel and even did a Google search before posting here.

Thankyou,

Bob

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Info display
Asgard Administrator
05th Dec 2013
Puddlepyrate2013 Moderator
06th Dec 2013
RRRoger Silver Member
06th Dec 2013
briantilley Moderator
06th Dec 2013
RRRoger Silver Member
06th Dec 2013
briantilley Moderator
06th Dec 2013
RRRoger Silver Member
06th Dec 2013
briantilley Moderator
06th Dec 2013
Asgard Administrator
06th Dec 2013
briantilley Moderator
06th Dec 2013
Puddlepyrate2013 Moderator
07th Dec 2013
briantilley Moderator
07th Dec 2013
RRRoger Silver Member
07th Dec 2013
briantilley Moderator
07th Dec 2013

Asgard Administrator He is your Chief Guardian Angel at the Helpdesk and knows a lot about a lot Nikonian since 07th Apr 2004Thu 05-Dec-13 09:53 PM
51754 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Info display"
In response to Reply # 0

East Frisia, DE

No. The display doesn't rotate like the D5000.

Gerold - Nikonian in East Frisia
Eala Freya Fresena

Puddlepyrate2013 Moderator Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2013Fri 06-Dec-13 12:56 AM
189 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Info display"
In response to Reply # 1

Portsmouth, US

Thank you for your response, it was a nice feature.

Bob

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberFri 06-Dec-13 03:13 AM
3176 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Info display"
In response to Reply # 1
Fri 06-Dec-13 03:14 AM by RRRoger

Monterey Bay, US

>No. The display doesn't rotate like the D5000.
>
>ERRROR!

I have the camera.
It tilts and rotates
I do both when I put it away to protect the screen by facing it inward.

The new D5300 LCD is also larger, brighter, and has a lot higher resolution.

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Fri 06-Dec-13 08:17 AM
29147 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Info display"
In response to Reply # 3

Paignton, GB

>ERROR!

Or not...

I think Bob was asking whether the content of the information display is rotated on the rear monitor when the camera is in portrait orientation, not whether the physical screen itself can be rotated.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberFri 06-Dec-13 02:51 PM
3176 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Info display"
In response to Reply # 4

Monterey Bay, US

OK the answer is still YES

I just turned on the info display and rotated the LCD
it will not rotate tall, but it does stay inline with the camera body.
Thus when you flip it, the display is still right side up.
(However,If you take pictures with the camera upside down, you are out of luck unless you are also upside down)

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Fri 06-Dec-13 04:49 PM
29147 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Info display"
In response to Reply # 5

Paignton, GB

I think there is some confusion here.

The D5000 had a feature whereby the information display on the rear monitor would "re-arrange" itself into a different, portrait-formatted, display so that the contents were readable when the camera was held in the portrait position.

Does the D5300, with the rear monitor folded against the body in its "normal" position, do that? I believe that is what was being asked, and according to the D5300 manual, the answer is "no".

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberFri 06-Dec-13 07:43 PM
#7. "RE: Info display"
In response to Reply # 6
Fri 06-Dec-13 10:15 PM by RRRoger

Monterey Bay, US

Thats right Brian

"it (info desplay) will not rotate tall, but it does stay inline with the upright camera body."

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Fri 06-Dec-13 08:05 PM
#8. "RE: Info display"
In response to Reply # 7

Paignton, GB

>"it (info desplay) will not rotate tall, but it does stay
>inline with the camera body."

What the D5000 did was not like "rotating tall" - the elements of the information display were re-arranged to fit the portrait format. I think we are all now agreed that the D5300 lacks that feature - as stated by Gerold in reply #1

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

Asgard Administrator He is your Chief Guardian Angel at the Helpdesk and knows a lot about a lot Nikonian since 07th Apr 2004Fri 06-Dec-13 08:19 PM
51754 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Info display"
In response to Reply # 8

East Frisia, DE

Thanks for the clarification, Brian

Gerold - Nikonian in East Frisia
Eala Freya Fresena

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Fri 06-Dec-13 08:15 PM
#9. "RE: Info display"
In response to Reply # 7

Paignton, GB

For those who aren't familiar with the D5000's feature, here is the relevant page from the manual to illustrate how it looks...

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Puddlepyrate2013 Moderator Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2013Sat 07-Dec-13 12:34 AM
#11. "RE: Info display"
In response to Reply # 9

Portsmouth, US

Thank you Brian, you are correct, that was my original question. It was a great feature when shooting in the portrait position. Sorry for creating confusion, with the question.

Bob

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Sat 07-Dec-13 08:27 AM
#12. "RE: Info display"
In response to Reply # 11

Paignton, GB

>Sorry for creating confusion, with the question.

No apology necessary, Bob - your question was fine

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberSat 07-Dec-13 02:21 PM
#13. "RE: Info display"
In response to Reply # 12
Sat 07-Dec-13 02:46 PM by RRRoger

Monterey Bay, US

Brian
Do you know the password to unlock the No Print version of the D5300 manual?
Or, do you have a link to a printable one?
I found one online, it is 300 pagesinstead of the 104 pg no-print version on Nikon USA.
http://download3.nikonimglib.com/archive1/nDjd000XOIQF00mktpj7624w9V96/D5300RM_%28En%2901.pdf

I wanted to paste the Info Display page here like you did with the one for the D5000.
I also often like to take a page with me into the field.

I also wonder how I can program one of the info buttons?
Why did they waste a button when one could do?

Maybe we need to get our Firmware request into Nikon ASAP?
I would like to use the top Info button to change:
Aperture, speed, ISO, or etc.

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Sat 07-Dec-13 05:09 PM
#14. "RE: Info display"
In response to Reply # 13

Paignton, GB

Not being in USA, I found the D5000 manual at Nikon UK, here. No passwords were required.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #9072 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.