nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #905
View in linear mode

Subject: "Menu display" Previous topic | Next topic
smfarnsworth Registered since 25th Nov 2009Wed 25-Nov-09 05:00 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Menu display"

UK

Hi,

I'm hoping to buy a Nikon D5000 at some point during the next few weeks. I have spent months reading reviews and listening to friends - and am now ready to go.

I went to Jessops to have a hold and noticed that the menu display screen only seemed to display information for what seemed like a millisecond.

When using the wheel to scroll between the pre-set scenes (outside, indoors, portrait etc.) they were hardly displayed long enough to read them. If I buy the camera can I do something with the settings so that the information remains on the screen long enough to read?

Cheers

Stephen

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Wed 25-Nov-09 06:18 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Menu display"
In response to Reply # 0

Chicago, US

I am surprised that the sales person did not help you. There are many buttons on the dSLR bodies and accidental depressing one will turn off the menu or preview, the battery could have been weak, or somebody may have set the timeout for the LCD screen. But the menus can be set to remain on for enough time to work through them.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

snapsh0t Registered since 30th Aug 2009Thu 26-Nov-09 08:10 AM
157 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Menu display"
In response to Reply # 1

UK

That the assistants in Jessops didn't help the OP is not a surprise and one of the reasons that the company is in financial trouble.

I'd guess it's the timer setting for the menu. I find it's a bit short on the default setting and it would seem very short indeed to someone seeing it for the first time.

Jonathan

smfarnsworth Registered since 25th Nov 2009Thu 26-Nov-09 01:45 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Menu display"
In response to Reply # 2

UK

Thanks - I was hoping that would be the case. Jessops is terrible in so much that the staff may as well be working in Tesco's, Marks & Spencers or HMV - they have no real product knowledge - BUT - they have a great D5000 bundle offer at the moment so I'll have to put up with their customer service.

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Thu 26-Nov-09 08:09 PM
26965 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Menu display"
In response to Reply # 3

US

Hi Stephen,

Welcome to Nikonians!
I am sure you will be happy with the D5000!
Good luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #905 Previous topic | Next topic