nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #9033
View in linear mode

Subject: "Nikon D5200 - Self-Timer Release Mode" Previous topic | Next topic
Bmelo Registered since 02nd Dec 2013Mon 02-Dec-13 07:27 PM
5 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Nikon D5200 - Self-Timer Release Mode"
Mon 02-Dec-13 07:50 PM by Bmelo

PT

Hi.

Every time I set my camera to the self-timer shutter release mode it reverts back to its default setting of immediate shutter release after I take one shoot. So in order to keep using the delayed shutter release mode I have to keep setting it up every single time I want to take one picture which translates into a big waste of time.

I have looked in the user guide but there is no mention of how I can turn the self-timer shutter release into the default mode. Is there no way to do this?

Thank you.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Mon 02-Dec-13 10:02 PM
4899 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Nikon D5200 - Self-Timer Release Mode"
In response to Reply # 0

Seattle, WA, US

This seems to be the common behavior for the lower-end cameras that do not have the timer on a mechanical switch to control the shutter release modes.

You don't say how/why you are using the timer. Would the "exposure delay" Custom Setting d5 be more what you are looking for?

---------+---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D700, D200, D70S, 24-70mm f/2.8, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II, TC20e3,
50mm f/1.4 D, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX

Bmelo Registered since 02nd Dec 2013Tue 03-Dec-13 12:24 AM
5 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Nikon D5200 - Self-Timer Release Mode"
In response to Reply # 1

PT

Hi. I appreciate your reply. The reason I chose the self-timer mode instead of the exposure delay you mention is because the self-timer allows for a longer delay time so I can avoid camera shake at longer exposures. But having to choose the self-timer mode every single time you take a shot is very counter productive especially since I see no plausible reason why the camera won't store the setting in memory. I guess I will have to buy an external trigger. Thanks again for your kind reply.

pjonesCET Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 11th Jul 2011Wed 04-Dec-13 12:42 AM
616 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#3. "RE: Nikon D5200 - Self-Timer Release Mode"
In response to Reply # 2

Martinsville, US

Buy one of those Wifi Modules. I have one for my D3200. I can use my iPad or iPhone to trigger it.

Phillip M Jones, CET
pjonescet@comcast.net
http://www.phillipmjones.net/

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/pjonescet/
http://www.phillipjones-cet.net

aolander Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Sep 2006Wed 04-Dec-13 01:40 PM
3361 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Nikon D5200 - Self-Timer Release Mode"
In response to Reply # 0

Nevis, US

The self-timer would help if you're trying to eliminate camera shake due to pressing the shutter release, but it does nothing to help eliminate mirror vibrations because the mirror doesn't go up until the exposure is made. Exposure delay would be the thing to use, but as you say, the delay perhaps isn't long enough. A remote cord or ML-L3 might be of help.

Alan

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #9033 Previous topic | Next topic