Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #8951
View in linear mode

Subject: "Firmware upgrades and battery compatability " Previous topic | Next topic
Irinotecan Registered since 21st Sep 2013Wed 06-Nov-13 01:06 AM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Firmware upgrades and battery compatability "

El Cajon, US

Hi everyone,

I have a D5100, and I noticed that there is a firmware update out for it. My question is, does anyone know if Nikon's firmware upgrades tend to "lock out" 3rd party batteries that previously worked? I have 2 Wasabi batteries that work fine with my camera, but I have seen some horror stories on Amazon about them working fine for awhile, then suddenly not working. I am not sure if this means: 1) The batteries "firmware" that signals to the camera that it is a genuine battery is faulty and tends to fail randomly, or 2) if periodic firmware upgrades update the camera's "lookup table" to block 3rd party batteries that "got through".

Anyone know for sure if a firmware upgrade will invalidate my batteries? And yeah, I know, I know: "Buy genuine Nikon® parts and products to insure full compatibility!!!" Well, I didn't. So I'd like to know where I now stand.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

jec6613 Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Feb 2013Wed 06-Nov-13 01:21 AM
645 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Firmware upgrades and battery compatability "
In response to Reply # 0

Norwalk, US

I can't speak to it specifically, but I know that it does enable the Sandisk Extreme Pro (and other UHS-I) cards to work properly. I also have not heard of any issues post 1.01 upgrade to the D5100.

Also, there is slated to be another firmware update coming up this month for the D5100, D5200, D3100, D3200, and P7700 that will change battery use, for compatibility with the EN-EL14a (which packs more power: 8.9 Wh, compared to 7.7 Wh for the EN-EL14). If any firmware upgrade will break battery compatibility, it will be that one.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #8951 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.