Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Firmware upgrades and battery compatability

El Cajon, US
1 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Irinotecan Registered since 21st Sep 2013
Wed 06-Nov-13 01:06 AM

Hi everyone,

I have a D5100, and I noticed that there is a firmware update out for it. My question is, does anyone know if Nikon's firmware upgrades tend to "lock out" 3rd party batteries that previously worked? I have 2 Wasabi batteries that work fine with my camera, but I have seen some horror stories on Amazon about them working fine for awhile, then suddenly not working. I am not sure if this means: 1) The batteries "firmware" that signals to the camera that it is a genuine battery is faulty and tends to fail randomly, or 2) if periodic firmware upgrades update the camera's "lookup table" to block 3rd party batteries that "got through".

Anyone know for sure if a firmware upgrade will invalidate my batteries? And yeah, I know, I know: "Buy genuine Nikon® parts and products to insure full compatibility!!!" Well, I didn't. So I'd like to know where I now stand.