Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #8945
View in linear mode

Subject: "D5200 Autofocus Question" Previous topic | Next topic
one1082 Registered since 01st Nov 2013Fri 01-Nov-13 03:51 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D5200 Autofocus Question"

US

Hello forum,
I am in the market for a nice new camera for my wife's upcoming birthday. I've read many reviews and everything seems to point to the D5200 as one of the best entry level DSLR's. We stopped into our local Best Buy the other day to take a look and compare it to the other manufacturers and models they had in stock.

One thing my wife noticed was that while looking through the viewfinder in the D5200, the image appeared to 'move' a little after a picture was taken. It seemed like the lens would almost refocus itself back to where it was prior to the auto-focus kicking in. The Canon cameras lacked this movement and it was a noticeable difference.

The guy helping us at Best Buy didn't have any answers for us and said it may be a defect in the floor model since so many people use them and drop them.

I am hoping someone on here can clear this up for me!

Thanks!

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

elec164 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2009Fri 01-Nov-13 05:01 PM
1966 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D5200 Autofocus Question"
In response to Reply # 0

US

>One thing my wife noticed was that while looking through the
>viewfinder in the D5200, the image appeared to 'move' a little
>after a picture was taken. It seemed like the lens would
>almost refocus itself back to where it was prior to the
>auto-focus kicking in.

One possible explanation is the VR was tuned on. If that's the case then what you saw was the VR shutting down and the lens element re-centering which would be normal operation.

Pete

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Fri 01-Nov-13 05:51 PM
28674 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D5200 Autofocus Question"
In response to Reply # 0

Paignton, GB

Yes, the VR (Vibration Reduction) system is almost certainly what you and your wife saw - nothing to worry about

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

one1082 Registered since 01st Nov 2013Fri 01-Nov-13 06:03 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D5200 Autofocus Question"
In response to Reply # 2

US

Thanks! I had a feeling it was a setting that could be turned on or off, but not knowing anything about these cameras I didn't know where to begin.

Many thanks!

pjonesCET Gold Member Nikonian since 11th Jul 2011Sat 02-Nov-13 07:23 PM
543 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#4. "RE: D5200 Autofocus Question"
In response to Reply # 3

Martinsville, US

Another this is that you may have had experience is the camera set to AF-C (Auto Focus Continuous) where the lens is making minor corrections to focus all the time.

If set on AF-S (Auto Focus Single Point) then Camera hunts for best focus position and Stops unless you release the shutter button and press down again before taking the shot.

If set to AF-A (Auto Focus Automatic) It combines both and will stop as long as there is no movement detected in the subject. IF subject moves the it will refocus.

So far I only have used AF-S I tried AF-C and the Lens never settled down, if I tried to take a Person's picture. Or if a windy day outside. Didn't make a difference what lens.

Phillip M Jones, CET
pjonescet@comcast.net
http://www.phillipmjones.net/

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/pjonescet/

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #8945 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.